ZONERS: Bob Lilly or Randy White?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd;1570144 said:
I really do not think enough people here have seen film of Andrie. He was REALLY good. I frankly do not see much of a gap between him and Martin.
I'm not one of those people Burm.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
burmafrd;1570144 said:
I really do not think enough people here have seen film of Andrie. He was REALLY good. I frankly do not see much of a gap between him and Martin.

Martin was the better pass-rusher but Andrie was better against the run. I think most people tend to focus too much on pass-rushing ability when comparing players.

Martin is our all-time leader in sacks (113 is the number I found) but Andrie was certainly no slouch in that department. The NFL didn't keep records of individual sacks back then and even Martin's totals are not "official", as they started keeping track in 1982, but if they did we would find that Andrie isn't far behind Martin in career sacks.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
(bump)

Anyone know where we can find sack records for players? Not just the leaders but for all players.

Stautner

Reaction score
THUMPER;1570683 said:
(bump)

Anyone know where we can find sack records for players? Not just the leaders but for all players.

If you are wanting to use sacks as a comparison point it wont do you any good. I believe Lilly's entire career was played before sack totals were officially recorded.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Stautner;1570687 said:
If you are wanting to use sacks as a comparison point it wont do you any good. I believe Lilly's entire career was played before sack totals were officially recorded.

They didn't start keeping individual sacks officially until 1982. That said, there are some sites that list "unofficial" sacks for many players. I know Deacon Jones has/had a site that lists several of the sack leaders where he (or someone) has gone back and looked at film to determine how many sacks some of the great players had, mostly to support Deacon's claims that he is the true all-time sack leader.

Harvey Martin is credited as the Cowboys' all-time sack leader with 113 but he played most of his career before they started keeping official records of sacks so I don't know where they got the info from. Jethro Pugh is credited with having 17 sacks one year in the late 60s, again I don't know where they got that info from.

So if anyone knows of a site where some of this info is available I would be grateful.

CoCo

Reaction score
To continue the commercial...

Mary Anne or Jeannie?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CoCo;1570709 said:

Mary Anne or Jeannie?
I don't care what 5Stars says. It's Mary Anne and that's that.

Stautner

Reaction score
CowboyJeff;1570714 said:
Gotta go for Lilly since I know Bob Jr.

Knowing Bob Jr. is nice, but does it really have a damn thing to do with the topic?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Randy White, a 6-4, 257-pound All-America defensive end at the University of Maryland in 1974, was the Dallas Cowboys' first pick and the second player selected in the 1975 National Football League Draft.

For the first two seasons he was tested at the middle linebacker position but he didn't develop into a super-star until his third season, when he became the starting right defensive tackle on a permanent basis. For the remainder of his 14- season, 209-game NFL career, White was an outstanding anchor of the Cowboys' excellent defensive line.

White capped his first season as a regular by being named as the co-Most Valuable Player in the Cowboys' 27-10 win over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XII. That year he began a string of nine straight seasons running through 1985 as an All-Pro selection. He also was named to nine straight Pro Bowls during that span.

In 1978, White was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Year. What set Randy apart from the other Cowboys was not his ability to make big plays but his consistency and his willingness to work hard. At practice, his teammates would suffer just trying to keep up with him.

Blessed with all the traits for a great defensive lineman – quickness, balance, toughness, ability, desire, intelligence and durability – White missed only one game in 14 seasons. He played in 209 regular season games, at the time of his election to the Hall of Fame in 1994, the second most by any Cowboy in history. White played in three Super Bowls and six NFC championship games. He recorded four sacks in the three Super Bowls, including two in Super Bowl X against Pittsburgh. In his regular season career, White was credited with 1,104 tackles, 701 solo tackles and 111 sacks.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DallasEast;1570712 said:
I don't care what 5Stars says. It's Mary Anne and that's that.

:confused: Yo, brainiac! I'm with you!

:laugh2:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
THUMPER;1569878 said:
Landry said that Bob Lilly was the best player he ever coached. He was certainly the best DT I ever saw play and was significantly better than Randy White, which should tell you how great Lilly was.

Thumper is one my most repected posters in terms of knowledge of the Cowboys throughout the years. Landry can do no wrong in my shaded glass's.

Lilly (the football player, not Mrs. Howell) wins !

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Jarv;1570774 said:
Thumper is one my most repected posters in terms of knowledge of the Cowboys throughout the years. Landry can do no wrong in my shaded glass's.

Lilly (the football player, not Mrs. Howell) wins !

Thanks Jarv. :starspin

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
CoCo;1570709 said:

Mary Anne or Jeannie?

Jeannie in a heartbeat. Barbara Eden was STILL hot well into her 60s. Her and Racquel Welch are the only two women I know of that you can say that about.

Mary Ann was cute but Jeannie was HOT!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THUMPER;1570836 said:
Jeannie in a heartbeat. Barbara Eden was STILL hot well into her 60s. Her and Racquel Welch are the only two women I know of that you can say that about.

Mary Ann was cute but Jeannie was HOT!
Sophia Loren.

Stautner

Reaction score
5Stars;1570892 said:
Joey Heatherton!

Yummy...

(wasn't she married to somefoot ball player)?

Joey Heatherton was a babe, and she was married to our own Lance Rentzel, who lost one of the hottest women around when he couldn't stop showing his pee pee to little girls.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Stautner;1570902 said:
Joey Heatherton was a babe, and she was married to our own Lance Rentzel, who lost one of the hottest women around when he couldn't stop showing his pee pee to little girls.

That's right! Lance Rentzil...and his little pee-pee!

:laugh2: