Zoners: BP will work deal with Mr. Jones

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1847043 said:
I love the idea that Parcells desperately covets Carpenter and Spears ... underachievers who were in his doghouse the entire time he was coaching here. Yeah, I'm sure Parcells is dying to have the guys who he either put on the bench or repeatedly threatened to bench. Listening to the insider draft coverage on KTCK last year, Ireland and Jerry came on right after the pick and just gushed about how great they think Carpenter is and how badly they wanted him. Jerry and Ireland may value him more than Parcells.

Maybe there are some franchises you can trade a bunch of magic beans to, but the franchises who are run by people who coached your players for 4 years day in and day out tend to have a pretty good idea which of your players are the real deal.

Agreed and I don't understand why BP would want Julius Jones either. It was BP who decided JJ should share carries with Barber. Just because BP drafted these players, it doesn't mean he has a permanent bond with them. He discovered just like we did that some of these players failed to meet expectations.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1846604 said:
If BP doesn't feel he can trust Ricky, why would he, he'll be gone.

Well, according to BP, he doesn't make judgements on players until he has had a chance to evaluate them. He has also said that he is not against giving players another chance. I don't know if BP trusts Williams or not. Only BP knows that. If he doesn't, then your right. The question is, does BP have a pre conception towards the player? That will tell the tale.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboysfan76
Madden probably can't find his jimmies.......nevertheless, we all know that Jerry is a gambling man, but I agree with the post by Iceberg, there is no way Jerry will trade two 1sts and a first from next year to draft a RB. IMO, if Jerry does any trading for a RB, it will be for Felix Jones of who he can probably get in the 15-20 pick provided he doesn't decide to keep Julius Jones. Jerry has stated that he wants a "wow" player and IMO McFadden does not possess the "wow" player charecteristics that would transfer to the NFL. McFadden is no Adrian Peterson. IMO a "wow" player is someone like Hester so thus the "wow" player could be a WR with speed to replace Glenn like this kid:

5mics;1846784 said:
***?!!! You are kidding, right? :eek:

No I am not kidding...McFadden is no Adrian Peterson.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1847114 said:
Well, according to BP, he doesn't make judgements on players until he has had a chance to evaluate them. He has also said that he is not against giving players another chance. I don't know if BP trusts Williams or not. Only BP knows that. If he doesn't, then your right. The question is, does BP have a pre conception towards the player? That will tell the tale.

BP also values experience. He prefers to work with players that have a lot of experience because he feels they are mature enough to be obedient and intelligent enough to avoid mistakes. However, BP often does this at the expense of talent and developing players. Instead of trying to develop one of our young QB's, he was desperate enought to bring Vinny here to be the starter because he didn't trust anyone else. Sometimes, you have to accept the burden of developing young players because it is the right thing for the team's long term success instead of settling on a guy like Vinny or Drew.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dcowboysfan76;1847117 said:
Quote:
Madden probably can't find his jimmies.......nevertheless, we all know that Jerry is a gambling man, but I agree with the post by Iceberg, there is no way Jerry will trade two 1sts and a first from next year to draft a RB. IMO, if Jerry does any trading for a RB, it will be for Felix Jones of who he can probably get in the 15-20 pick provided he doesn't decide to keep Julius Jones. Jerry has stated that he wants a "wow" player and IMO McFadden does not possess the "wow" player charecteristics that would transfer to the NFL. McFadden is no Adrian Peterson. IMO a "wow" player is someone like Hester so thus the "wow" player could be a WR with speed to replace Glenn like this kid:

and madden can't find his jimmies...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
No offense ABQ, but I don't see a player who could more fit the criteria of 'not a Parcells guy' than Ricky Williams. First, Parcells likes 'football guys' who love playing and being around the game of football, not the guys who just love the lifestyle and tolerate the football. Ricky Williams quit football because he said he didn't enjoy it, and it's clear the only reason he's back in it is because he's flat broke. Second, Bill said that thin skinned players don't last very long under him ...and Ricky Williams is about as meek and sensitive as they come.

If a guy has a 'reputation" like Bryon Cox .. that's one thing. But failing 4 league mandated drug tests goes way beyond 'rumors".

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1847123 said:
BP also values experience. He prefers to work with players that have a lot of experience because he feels they are mature enough to be obedient and intelligent enough to avoid mistakes. However, BP often does this at the expense of talent and developing players. Instead of trying to develop one of our young QB's, he was desperate enought to bring Vinny here to be the starter because he didn't trust anyone else. Sometimes, you have to accept the burden of developing young players because it is the right thing for the team's long term success instead of settling on a guy like Vinny or Drew.

If you look at his entire tenure in Dallas, Parcells played an astounding number of young players and roookie .. many times at the expense of the immediate team (Pete Hunter starting at CB, Rob Pettiti starting at RT, Pat Watkins starting at FS). Many of the young players on our defense are 3rd or 4th year starters because Parcells started them right away.

I think people look at the QB position and cast a broad net. The truth is that there wasn't much to work with here at the QB position after Quincy flamed out. Romo was nowhere near ready to play until year 3.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1847123 said:

To me, and this is only if Williams is in any shape to come back strong, this whole scenario is just the kind of thing BP would do to try and motivate a player like Brown. Threaten him with a guy like Williams. Low cost, good production guy who understands the game. Force him to get better or give Williams all the minutes.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1847127 said:
No offense ABQ, but I don't see a player who could more fit the criteria of 'not a Parcells guy' than Ricky Williams. First, Parcells likes 'football guys' who love playing and being around the game of football, not the guys who just love the lifestyle and tolerate the football. Ricky Williams quit football because he said he didn't enjoy it, and it's clear the only reason he's back in it is because he's flat broke. Second, Bill said that thin skinned players don't last very long under him ...and Ricky Williams is about as meek and sensitive as they come.

If a guy has a 'reputation" like Bryon Cox .. that's one thing. But failing 4 league mandated drug tests goes way beyond 'rumors".

Not at all Rosh. I agree with you that in the past, Williams has not what I would consider a good risk and in truth, he still may not be. However, it is very like Parcells you leverage a player like Williams in an attempt to get production out of a player like Brown. Williams may not be long for Miami but, if he is in shape next season and able to run hard, I could definatly see BP using Williams in this manner. His contract is so minor that it really wouldn't be a big deal to keep him around or cut him, one way or the other. It all comes down to what BP thinks of Williams and really, Brown.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1847127 said:

if parcells cut carter before his drug suspension came through because he said he couldn't trust him, why would he suddenly trust williams who's been suspended more times than spicoli?

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
iceberg;1847156 said:
if parcells cut carter before his drug suspension came through because he said he couldn't trust him, why would he suddenly trust williams who's been suspended more times than spicoli?

IMO Williams would have at least drawn a 4th round pick before his injury, but now it's kind of hard to tell. I wouldn't be surprised if he's released. I definitely agree with your comment on the Q.C. cut.......

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dcowboysfan76;1847117 said:
Quote:

I agree w/ that, he's step behind AD but he's firmly in the same league. He is a "wow" player because he's a threat to take it all the way w/ every hand-off. On-field production + combine numbers WILL put him in the elite category. Don't sell the kid short just because he's not AD.....

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Barber/McFadden Combination would be lovely..... But I don't agree to trade Bobby Carpenter off... He's going to be the Cowboys Brian Urlacher.... He is not getting the opportunity to play...

Taz

Reaction score
iceberg;1846281 said:
i
#22 - a good spot for cleveland = 780
#31 - win superbowl or lose, last pick of the round = 600

if i remember right many were predicting the Cleveland pick to be higher than that with their losing record.

:pray: :pray: for a wow player all i want for christmas is a suerbowl dynasty team to end new England's run proving the the cws are the best team ever

watertown

Reaction score
I am gonna guess this will be 1 of 100000000 times stuff like this will be brought up before the draft

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1845815 said:
Zoners:

Mr. Jones will work out a deal with Parcells for the phins #1 pick.

BP loves draft picks and realizes that is exactly what the phins need most.

Mr. Jones is dying for the rights to Run DMC (MACFADDEN)

We will offer Big Bill our 2 #1 in 08 and our #2 in 09 plus JJ.

What do you Zoners think?:cool:

I'd stop at 2 #1's or a #1 and say Bobby Carpenter...

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;1847387 said:
Barber/McFadden Combination would be lovely..... But I don't agree to trade Bobby Carpenter off... He's going to be the Cowboys Brian Urlacher.... He is not getting the opportunity to play...

:laugh2:

All Bobby Carpenter is going to be is the Cowboys Bobby Carpenter.

Brian Urlacher, HAHA, wow...

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1847043 said:
Listening to the insider draft coverage on KTCK last year, Ireland and Jerry came on right after the pick and just gushed about how great they think Carpenter is and how badly they wanted him. Jerry and Ireland may value him more than Parcells.

You mean an owner gushes about a player his team picked? When has an owner ever said the player they picked in the draft sucks, but we picked him anyway. If the pick sucks, JJ and JI wanted him more that Parcells. Is that why Carpenter is riding the pine with Wade here?

khiladi

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;1847082 said:
Agreed and I don't understand why BP would want Julius Jones either. It was BP who decided JJ should share carries with Barber. Just because BP drafted these players, it doesn't mean he has a permanent bond with them. He discovered just like we did that some of these players failed to meet expectations.

Which coach in their right mind would like a player that fails to meet expectations? Is Parcells so much of a genius that he is the only one that would do something so level-headed and common sensical to reject a player that hasn't met expectations? To make it look like Parcells is a 'god', people have to make even basic tasks like writing and reading be impossible for any normal person.