News: 10 Worst NFC East contracts

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure. But Stephen’s bumbling had the team over a barrel. The deal should have gotten done two years sooner. Before the market exploded. Instead they played the tag game and lost and drafted Gregory and Taco - and lost.

Yeah I don't disagree there.

If you are going to overpay for guys which we know they will.....why not do it earlier than later? Just makes no sense. Dak should've been re-signed long before now. Everyone should've known they were going to re-sign him. Just dumb.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The problem with our FO is they don't make deals based on what's best for the team. They make deals based on what's best for the player.

That's why we are always over paying for guys and getting little in return on the field.
Ok that's not true.

Let's get one thing straight. Every player in the league for the most part is overpaid lol. That's not just exclusive to the Cowboys.

Secondly, the Cowboys screwed up on deals because they waited too late to sign these guys. They would've got Lawrence and Dak on much fairer deals if they would've done it earlier.

But when its time to sign guys early they do it with the Orlando Scandrick's, Jaylon Smith's and Tyrone Crawford's of the world....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with our FO is they don't make deals based on what's best for the team. They make deals based on what's best for the player.

That's why we are always over paying for guys and getting little in return on the field.

I see the problem as:
  1. Waiting too long, until the market makes huge jumps. They’ve misjudged it for years now.
  2. Thinking they can’t survive without any of their ‘name players’.
  3. Believing that rebuilding is unthinkable and that this year is always ‘their year’. (Meanwhile we’re still in the midst of a 25-year drought while empires rise, fall, and rise again)

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Ok that's not true.

Let's get one thing straight. Every player in the league for the most part is overpaid lol. That's not just exclusive to the Cowboys.

Secondly, the Cowboys screwed up on deals because they waited too late to sign these guys. They would've got Lawrence and Dak on much fairer deals if they would've done it earlier.

But when its time to sign guys early they do it with the Orlando Scandrick's, Jaylon Smith's and Tyrone Crawford's of the world....
Waiting too long benefits the player not the team, no?

Those players you mentioned that signed deals early on we can all agree they did not exactly deserve yet or ever, right?

I'm pretty sure that's the Cowboys doing things that benefit the players and not the team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Waiting too long benefits the player not the team, no?

Those players you mentioned that signed deals early on we can all agree they did not exactly deserve yet or ever, right?

I'm pretty sure that's the Cowboys doing things that benefit the players and not the team.
In the long haul it benefits the player.

But the reason they waited was to benefit the team.

Its easy to knock Stephen but fans on this site themselves like this approach. People were mad when the Cowboys were re-signing guys too early like Tyrone Crawford. And many on this site were for the Cowboys to franchise tag because they thought somehow his value would get lowered even if he got hurt lol.

Those guys that signed early probably didn't deserve it but it doesn't matter.

At the end of the day the Cowboys use their money on their own players. They don't use it on free agency. So knowing that...there's no point in them playing hardball because they will never have leverage. None. And that's a mistake some fans and Stephen failed to realize. Good for him. Cost him millions.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with Zekes contract now is the fact that McCarthy will not use a RB the way Zeke is paid to be played. Zeke was a letdown last year with all the fumbles but Garretts offense had the RB as a focus. McCarthy has the RB as a distraction.

Creeper

Reaction score
The article is not wrong. Dak is way overpaid at $40 million a year and the length of the contract ensure Jerry will do an even worse deal in 4 years. I also agree with the thoughts on Zeke. It was stupid to draft him 4th in the draft, and then incredibly stupid to pay him $90 million over 6 years when you could already he he was in decline. Every year Zeke supposedly works out harder and comes back in the best shape of his life but he is also slower and less nimble.

Then there is Tank Lawrence. I know he has some fans but what him in games. He makes a few plays here and there but he can't rush the passer anymore and he falls for the fake on the RPO more than anyone I have ever seen. Every time he crashing down inside, the QB runs the ball outside of him for a big gain. I am not sure what he does to deserve $21 million a year. What's worse is when Gregory plays, he gets the double team.

I believe Zeke and Lawrence will both be gone after the 2022 season. The only question now is who will Jerry overpay next?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Before we bash the Cowboys, they aren't the worst offenders here. The Giants paying Kenny Golladay like he's Calvin Johnson in his prime needs to be on this list too. Just like with Adoree Jackson and Nate Solder, New York needs to learn paying good players like elite players doesn't make them elite players.

And DeMarcus Lawrence's impact goes beyond sacks. The author of this article is from Philly and probably only watches D-Law twice a season when he plays the Eagles. Lawrence was the ONLY Cowboy front seven defender to post quality grades against the run last season.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is the most silly argument people make when it comes to DAk...he's not close to them in talent....what the hell is talent? Because Jay Cutler was talent. Brandon Weeden could throw a pretty football...

The levels yous stoop to discredit Dak is not only moronic but embarrassing.

What is talent? You understand that some quarterbacks play better than others, right? Let me simplify it for you.

Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady are all going to the hall of fame. Jay Cutler, Brandon Weeden, and Dak Prescott are not. They're not even going to be in the conversation.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Why would anybody want this?

If they are a Cowboys fan why would they ever want the team to be bad? I like Dak, but I do not think he is an elite-level QB that has shown enough when everything isn't exactly going his way and when games matter YET. That doesn't mean I don't want him to prove me wrong. I can only base my opinion on what he has shown so far. I don't have a crystal ball that can see the future, so until proven otherwise my opinion remains the same.

I am not the type that has concrete opinions. When factual evidence is presented opposing my views on things my opinions can change. That has not happened yet with Dak. That doesn't mean that next season won't change my views though. I hope to hear a lot of "I told ya so" in the upcoming season, but until then it is what it is.
all these trolls want is dak to get paid, they don't care if we win. "Dak needs to be paid. pay the gimp"

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What is talent? You understand that some quarterbacks play better than others, right? Let me simplify it for you.

Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady are all going to the hall of fame. Jay Cutler, Brandon Weeden, and Dak Prescott are not. They're not even going to be in the conversation.
But you do understand that Bree, Rodgers and Peyton are going in the Hall because of their resumes right? Not because of talent?

You do understand Eli Manning sucks but he’s going into the Hall of Fame right?

If you want to be a smart *** at least defend your stance like one.