Recap: 103.3 Cowlishaw & Mosley On Dak Today

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
The issue is that Dak was taken in the 4th. Romo was undrafted and has never really shed that label. You shed it by winning a super bowl like Brady and Warner. Until that point, ppl will continually think it's just smoke and mirrors.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
They were not. About the most exotic thing I saw was sugaring the A gap and bailing. They weren't moving S and the like around to disguise coverage. Seattle in particular can do that with their extremely athletic LB.

I fail to see what Luck has to do with this.

I think his point is about how 1st round QBs are treated vs anywhere else. Russel Wilson had to ball out for 3 years straight before anyone was willing to admit he was elite but Andrew Luck is a turnover machine that still somehow gets ranked in the top 5.

conner01

Reaction score
I think Blitzing Dak will be more dicey than blitzing Romo,he can take off and he is a very accurate screen thrower.If i was the DC i would play coverage and make him beat them in the pocket on 3rd downs.
Good point. If you blitz and don't get him the secondary will have their backs to the QB and he has good run skills
He also has some nice dump off option with Zeke, Witten and Beasley. If you blitz you better get there

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Exotic blitzes" -- the new media buzz word to discredit excellent play by a rookie quarterback.

Here's the thing -- if our offensive line doesn't see the "exotic blitz" coming, it won't matter. Tony Romo's broken a collarbone twice from "non-exotic" pass rushes.
Those are much more difficult to implement if you have a QB that can execute the read-option and is otherwise a threat to run.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Dak has performed as well as anyone could ask with what he's seen so far. Dak has shown poise and solid skills and the more "exotic blitzes" he sees the better he will get. He won't be perfect out the gate, but so far he's shown the skills to handle and learn from those situations.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think Blitzing Dak will be more dicey than blitzing Romo,he can take off and he is a very accurate screen thrower.If i was the DC i would play coverage and make him beat them in the pocket on 3rd downs.

I think the blitzing talk is way overblown. Sure we MAY see a few more than usual but ultimately the offense will be fine. And no, i don't expect Dak to complete 80% of his passes. But with the strengths of this offense, personnel and how they will use them, i think Dak & the offense will put up good numbers. The key will be punching it in the end zone when they reach the red zone.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I still don't get the love fest for a rookie who hasn't taken a single snap in a regular season game.
You don't see something real with what he has done so far in preseason? It is only preseason your right, and that is your line of reasoning for questioning the "love", but Dak has come in and done way more than what has been asked of him and expected of him.

Your line of thinking borders on "well it is preseason so what he has done is piece of cake because it is preseason" yada yada yada

But if you ask me, the answer is simple. If it is so "easy", then why are not all rookies or atleast one other rookie QB doing what he is doing?

It is not like Seattle, Miami, and LA came out in tutus ready to sing koonbya . He hasn't failed in any of the three games and the crutches of "well they didn't prep for this game" etc.. are the same crutches the Cowboys would be using as well.

basically you have to look deeper on an individual level to appreciate all the love he gets

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Does anybody else get the feeling that if Dak came out and had a horrible preseason, all the talking heads in the media would be saying "See?! We told you this gimmick offense quarterback can't play!"

But since Dak has been lights out, we get the old "it's only preseason and it's only vanilla defense" cautionary tale.

Can't we just say the kid had shown us he has some mad skills and, while he's almost certain to run into some struggles once the games count for real, he has the mental makeup to learn and bounce back from his mistakes?

I don't see why we cannot have it both ways. He has shown a lot of potential and done about as well as he could with what he was given. That doesn't mean that there is not a significant difference in the level of competition between the preseason and the regular season. He still has more proving to do.

DFWJC

Reaction score
"Exotic blitzes" -- the new media buzz word to discredit excellent play by a rookie quarterback.

Here's the thing -- if our offensive line doesn't see the "exotic blitz" coming, it won't matter. Tony Romo's broken a collarbone twice from "non-exotic" pass rushes.
I don't know, it seems the media absolutely LOVES Dak.
We ARE talking preseason...I just don't see anyone trying hard to discredit the guy. They are just cautious based on many years of history--saying what any head coach around the league would say.

They are thrilled that he has looked so good and it sure beats the alternative. But it IS preseason.
Dak can't help it; he's maxed out his opportunity so far, but he can't deliver in the real game until he actually gets the chance to play, in a real game.
Not his fault.
Now all he has to do is deliver like so many assume he will do.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Dak has performed as well as anyone could ask with what he's seen so far. Dak has shown poise and solid skills and the more "exotic blitzes" he sees the better he will get. He won't be perfect out the gate, but so far he's shown the skills to handle and learn from those situations.
That about sizes it up. Prescott will have plenty of ups and downs. He is a raw student at this point. Nobody, however, can complain about his work so far. In fact, l would say the club is lucky to have him.