Recap: 103.3 Cowlishaw & Mosley On Dak Today

waving monkey

Reaction score
Does anybody else get the feeling that if Dak came out and had a horrible preseason, all the talking heads in the media would be saying "See?! We told you this gimmick offense quarterback can't play!"

But since Dak has been lights out, we get the old "it's only preseason and it's only vanilla defense" cautionary tale.

Can't we just say the kid had shown us he has some mad skills and, while he's almost certain to run into some struggles once the games count for real, he has the mental makeup to learn and bounce back from his mistakes?
triple yes

Proof

Reaction score
Dak hasn't even gotten to play with the full arsenal yet. Dez and no Tyron or zeke, Zeke and no Dez. Looking forward to him having the whole gang.

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
I still don't get the love fest for a rookie who hasn't taken a single snap in a regular season game.

Same here. Its different when the opposing team schemes to stop you...

If Dak turns out to be something, You two will be the first to say, I knew all along he was going to be a great quarterback

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak has performed as well as anyone could ask with what he's seen so far. Dak has shown poise and solid skills and the more "exotic blitzes" he sees the better he will get. He won't be perfect out the gate, but so far he's shown the skills to handle and learn from those situations.

Exactly. We can only go by what he has shown. I would much rather be in the position of him showing promise vs alleged "vanilla" defenses than him sucking in the preseason. So far, I'll take it...

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
Does anybody else get the feeling that if Dak came out and had a horrible preseason, all the talking heads in the media would be saying "See?! We told you this gimmick offense quarterback can't play!"

But since Dak has been lights out, we get the old "it's only preseason and it's only vanilla defense" cautionary tale.

Can't we just say the kid had shown us he has some mad skills and, while he's almost certain to run into some struggles once the games count for real, he has the mental makeup to learn and bounce back from his mistakes?

Not only the media, there would be some fans saying the same thing

plymkr

Reaction score
Matt Mosley spoke with people around the league about Dak Prescott. This is what he said this afternoon.

1. There were teams that *claim* they had Dak as a second rounder. When Mosley asked why they didn't take him in the third or later, they said they had their guy and didn't need him.

They both said this was usual for people around the league when a rookie does something unexpected and good. They all want to take credit.

The better Dak plays the more the scouts around the league will lay claim.

Down side

Accuracy
Third down blitzes
No touch on his short or intermediate routes

2. He spoke with people in the AFC who stated he has done a very good job. But, he will see exotic blitzes on third down and this is where rookie quarterbacks struggle.

3. Because it will be a rookie QB in Dak and a rookie RB in Zeke, this will be interesting when teams blitz because the potential for mistakes now doubles.

4. When speaking with one GM ( I believe he said GM) he said Dak can turn two. ***It was a scout. They repeated this as I typed it up.

**Now it was explained this is a baseball term meaning turning a double play. But in regard to football it means the quarterback can turn and throw the screen.***

Making the pivot and flipping the ball out with accuracy. He is really good at that. Like he had some baseball background.

The guy Mosley spoke with said Dak can turn that screen as fast as any QB in the league.

They mentioned Zeke is known for his ability to catch passes. And they haven't shown Zeke on a screen yet.

They also said Zeke went to Ohio State as a wide receiver. - I have no clue about this claim.

5. Dallas didn't take Dak in the second because he didn't have nerve damage or had a pot problem. Cowlishaw said "His nerves fired and he didn't fire up a bong."

6. He was a four year captain. His freshman year he was so good in the weight room they said he was the leader and elected him Captain.

He honored his commitment at Miss State and people around the league appreciated that.

The scouts or people around the league said you can't win at Miss State unless you are cheating. But Dak came in and won without cheating - meaning the program.

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL channel

Far and away the best of the rookies (quarterbacks). Graded an A+.

He has been in a clean environment and they got him away from the line of scrimmage to protect him.

He has performed well with getting down the field or away from the rush as they orchestrated these things.

Saw his play dip a little against the Seahawks as they put on pressure.

Jeremiah thought he was a third rounder.

Concerns - the offense at his college was suspect. Better his senior year than junior. Footwork has gotten better since being in Dallas.

The DUI bothered some teams.

Dak at QB and Zeke at RB they will be fine offensively. He cannot remember a rookie QB that has found himself in a better situation. Witten, Zeke, 88 are all skill players that will help him by making plays.

Ask about Goff and Wentz and Lynch grade out.

Jeremiah watched every play of every rookie QB this poreseason. No one is even close to the guy taken in the 4th round - Dak.

He rated them Prescott 1. Lynch 2. but his play tailed off. Wentz 3. did some good things for one game, and Goff at 4.

Prescott has an advantage of having the pieces in place when coming to Dallas. "Dak is not driving the same car as they are."

Meaning Goff has a crappy team around him and is perhaps better than what has been seen.

Still has difficult as it always has been for a rookie heading to a bad team and playing the rookie year

If you are a rookie QB you have to hope you have some of those pieces around you.

Jeremiah said ESPN had them do a #Goff and #Wentz in before the preseason games. He worries they will call them back and and have them do the #Prescott and #Lynch.

They asked will Elliott he be limited early?

As long as his ham strings are healthy, he's ready to go. Jeremiah can see him have a great year. Especially when the OL got him to the second level against one of the best defenses in the league.

He gushed about the line moving Seattle out of the way.

Do either Giants play or eagles play mean anything. I don't think so, I just try to go on the individual play of players.

Washington should be at or close to the top and Dallas is a lopsided team right now - meaning all O and little D.

Since 1980 seven quarterbacks have been taken in the 4th round.

Mike Pagel - - Colts
Donald Hollis - - Bengals
Danny Wuerfel - - Saints
Chris Winkie - - Panthers
Luke McCown - - Browns
Kyle Orton - - Bears
Kurt Cousins - - Redksins

They agree they think Dak may have a chance to be the best of this group.
Thank you for the recap, I appreciate it. #5 made me laugh really hard, about the nerve firing and not smoking pot. that was hilarious.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
416923.jpg

And there will be games with Dakzaster when this happens to everyone who is on the hype train, rookies struggle both initially and eventually. It's when Prescott fails that we all need to hang on to reality and before he throws the game losing INT we need to step back and realize he's not Warren Moon.....he's not even all Dak can be YET.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He hasn't had the chance to play in a regular season game. All he can control his play in the pre season, and he was probably the league MVP according to most. Would you be more excited if Matt Cassel and all his nfl experience was the starter again?

True, all he could do so far is play in the preseason but he also got benched in every preseason game he's played. He hasn't finished one of them. It's embarrassing.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Let Dak win a few games, then all of the sudden he will be seen dating someone like Rhianna.
As long as it's not a Khardasian. Is there a standing "Shoot On Sight" order for any Khardasians at The Star?

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Dak hasn't even gotten to play with the full arsenal yet. Dez and no Tyron or zeke, Zeke and no Dez. Looking forward to him having the whole gang.
Game one is vs Eli and the Gents, a new rookie sensation @ WR plus Cruz added back to the arsenal, could be with a weak Oline but our Dline looks thinner, thus Dak better be good in the game with the 1st team, because it may be a shoot out.

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
You know what. It is too bad the club didnt open on the road. That would have been much easier for Prescott. The Giants at Dallas is a killer. Too much pressure for the overhyped kid. The Giants have nothing to loose and are going to let it all hang out. I have a bad feeling about this game.
I mean logically Dak can take the stance, hell i was supposed to be holding a clipboard or inactive now I am headlining Dall/NYG.