Recap: 103.3 Cowlishaw & Mosley On Dak Today

CapnB

Reaction score
That about sizes it up. Prescott will have plenty of ups and downs. He is a raw student at this point. Nobody, however, can complain about his work so far. In fact, l would say the club is lucky to have him.

Performed about as well as anyone could hope for. I know I'm shocked by his play so far. But I'm still not getting to excited just yet.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Obviously I should have said I wanted to see Dak play in a regular season game as opposed to preseason. Thats going to be the real test since we KNOW the opponents will be game planning strictly for Dak rather than going throu another evaluation process.

I agree Dak has looked good so far, but I need to see a bigger sample in a game that means something.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Performed about as well as anyone could hope for. I know I'm shocked by his play so far. But I'm still not getting to excited just yet.

Yep, same with me.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Accuracy
Third down blitzes
No touch on his short or intermediate routes

Is this as confusing for anyone else as it is me? I mean, his ball placement in vast majority has looked superior to me, especially on short and intermediate throws. Are third down blitzes different than first or second down blitzes? Disclaimer: I KNOW IT WAS JUST PRESEASON. But I saw a guy climb tthe pocket and move around in traffic with exceptional awareness, all the while keeping his eyes down the field, and stand tall and nail several throws with guys in his face, including dropping a 30-yard dime out of the sky and into TWills hands in the end zone.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Those are much more difficult to implement if you have a QB that can execute the read-option and is otherwise a threat to run.

Those exotic blitzes are even more difficult to implement if Zeke can average 7 yards a carry like he did against Seattle.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I'm excited by the potential, it's been awhile since we've had a QB show as much promise. I'm not getting his name tattooed on my arm, but I'm a fan and it's OK to get excited!

CapnB

Reaction score
Is this as confusing for anyone else as it is me? I mean, his ball placement in vast majority has looked superior to me, especially on short and intermediate throws. Are third down blitzes different than first or second down blitzes? Disclaimer: I KNOW IT WAS JUST PRESEASON. But I saw a guy climb tthe pocket and move around in traffic with exceptional awareness, all the while keeping his eyes down the field, and stand tall and nail several throws with guys in his face, including dropping a 30-yard dime out of the sky and into TWills hands in the end zone.

That, by far was his best pass in my opinion.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I don't know, it seems the media absolutely LOVES Dak.
We ARE talking preseason...I just don't see anyone trying hard to discredit the guy. They are just cautious based on many years of history--saying what any head coach around the league would say.

They are thrilled that he has looked so good and it sure beats the alternative. But it IS preseason.
Dak can't help it; he's maxed out his opportunity so far, but he can't deliver in the real game until he actually gets the chance to play, in a real game.
Not his fault.
Now all he has to do is deliver like so many assume he will do.

You know what. It is too bad the club didnt open on the road. That would have been much easier for Prescott. The Giants at Dallas is a killer. Too much pressure for the overhyped kid. The Giants have nothing to loose and are going to let it all hang out. I have a bad feeling about this game.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I'm excited by the potential, it's been awhile since we've had a QB show as much promise. I'm not getting his name tattooed on my arm, but I'm a fan and it's OK to get excited!
You hit the nail on the head. First time in years that it feels like the club has a high energy high potential QB on the club. I can not wait to see how he does. Too me, people have to give this boy some breathing room and let make mistakes and develop he can not be viewed as a saviour.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Can't we just say the kid had shown us he has some mad skills and, while he's almost certain to run into some struggles once the games count for real, he has the mental makeup to learn and bounce back from his mistakes?

How many people are actually saying that? It seems like a minority. I can't count the number of people who think Romo won't be getting his job back. That means they believe that Dak will walk onto the field having never taken a live NFL snap and be probably in the top 5 or 7 QBs in the NFL.

So while I agree with the sentiment in your quote, I think that a lot of the cautionary responses come in response to the fact that the anointing oil is flowing freely.

VACowboy

Reaction score
That, by far was his best pass in my opinion.

That was some tremendous touch, but the deep back shoulder to Dez was a hell of a throw too. People keep saying he underthrew the pass, but it looked perfect to me.

JDSmith

Reaction score
You know what. It is too bad the club didnt open on the road. That would have been much easier for Prescott. The Giants at Dallas is a killer. Too much pressure for the overhyped kid. The Giants have nothing to loose and are going to let it all hang out. I have a bad feeling about this game.

I think Zeke could be his best friend in the game. Because if the Cowboys get Zeke to the second level against the Giants the same way they did against Seattle he's going for 200 yards. The Giants LBs are horrible.

JDSmith

Reaction score
That was some tremendous touch, but the deep back shoulder to Dez was a hell of a throw too. People keep saying he underthrew the pass, but it looked perfect to me.

The back shoulder is supposed to be under thrown - otherwise it's not the back shoulder. That was a terrific pass.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

I apologize for making this confusing.

The first in this section was about his college game. He didn't have a great deal of accuracy.

The second is the prediction he will struggle with the more complicated blitzes on third down.

The last is also a prediction that when he experiences the blitzes he hasn't seen, or were disguised and fooled him, his touch passes to the short routes to get the ball off quickly will be sketchy with little to no touch because he will hurry them.

Now this was the people Mosley spoke with, whom he never mentioned by name. But in retrospect, these were scouts speaking.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I apologize for making this confusing.

The first in this section was about his college game. He didn't have a great deal of accuracy.

The second is the prediction he will struggle with the more complicated blitzes on third down.

The last is also a prediction that when he experiences the blitzes he hasn't seen, or were disguised and fooled him, his touch passes to the short routes to get the ball off quickly will be sketchy with little to no touch because he will hurry them.

Now this was the people Mosley spoke with, whom he never mentioned by name. But in retrospect, these were scouts speaking.

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I think his point is about how 1st round QBs are treated vs anywhere else. Russel Wilson had to ball out for 3 years straight before anyone was willing to admit he was elite but Andrew Luck is a turnover machine that still somehow gets ranked in the top 5.

I think it's consensus first rounders. Key word being consensus. Because if most of the media people thought a guy was worthy of a first round selection, most of the media people have a bias towards him so that they'll be right.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
"Exotic blitzes" -- the new media buzz word to discredit excellent play by a rookie quarterback.

Here's the thing -- if our offensive line doesn't see the "exotic blitz" coming, it won't matter. Tony Romo's broken a collarbone twice from "non-exotic" pass rushes.
If you think this is a conspiracy to discredit Dak I question your football acumen.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
I still don't get the love fest for a rookie who hasn't taken a single snap in a regular season game.

"You are not brought upon this world to 'get it'."

latest

waving monkey

Reaction score
I still don't get the love fest for a rookie who hasn't taken a single snap in a regular season game.

it's judging talent. scouts do it for a living
or like horse trading and judging horse lines.
are this facts of course not
we're having fun