$20 fines for cursing in public

bounce

Reaction score
It blows my mind how many adults cuss in their every day conversations. I'm not offended by it, but you honestly just sound stupid. I'm more embarrassed for you than anything else.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Reality;4590448 said:
You would be amazed how many times this has happened to me over the years. I rarely use profanity so when I do, it stuns people. In other words, it garners the attention that is deserved by using the language. People who use it regularly tend to be people who cannot get their point across articulately or people who desperately want/need people to pay attention to what they are saying because they feel that without profanity, no one would listen or care. The more that someone makes profanity part of their normal speech, the less unique it sounds which leads to either excessive (well beyond even frequent) usage of profanity or excessive yelling and even those become non-special the more they occur.

#reality

Bingo!

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4590434 said:
and not every person wants to see others praying or saying grace before dinner at restaurants but we all have to put up with others do

:bang2:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
jnday;4590463 said:
I hope you are joking. See someone saying grace does not offend anyone like filthy words coming out of a trashy mouth. Do you actually approve of such filth in front of your children? I don't believe it is my business to comment on the words used in private while at home. I have and will comment on vulgar behaviour in public. It is disrespectfull and crude, primative and trashy at so many different levels.

I would probably tell you to mind your own damn business if you were to comment to me about what you might or might not have heard come out of my piehole.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;4590501 said:
Over use of profanity tends to show lack of vocabulary. There's no reason to curse all the time.

That being said, I dream of a world where there is no such thing as bad words. Just words. The very idea of words being bad, drives me nuts. It makes no sense. OH MY GOSH THE POOR CHILDREN! IF THEY HEAR THOSE WORDS TOO MANY TIMES..... RUINED FOREVER.

If we didn't put such an emphasis on them being taboo, they wouldn't be an issue. People need to just let it go.

bingo, my son loves saying certain words because my wife and to a lesser extent I tell him not to say them. That is what makes it cool.

It is like when she wants him to change the station to a "kids'" channel, that alone makes him want to watch the station she wants changed.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Reality;4590452 said:
Oh the horror! :rolleyes:

#reality

just like "oh the horror, my 10 year old saw a bad video, heard an adult oriented joke, or heard cussing" OMG

Some members of society are way too uptight.

rocboy22

Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;4590504 said:
Explain how said words are bad for children. Explain the negatives. Explain what will go wrong in your child's life if he hears such words. I can't think of a single person I know who did not hear curse words growing up. They all seem fine to me, but maybe it's just because I'm so warped from hearing curse words growing up.

Disrespect in that sense is relative. That argument is moot. Meaning and intent behind the words carries the respect, or lack of it. You can be just as disrespectful to someone without ever using a curse word. People who think others saying certain words in their presence is disrespectful think entirely too much of themselves, unless ofcourse the words are being said AT them and the meaning/intent behind them is disrespectful in nature.

I could write a book on the negatives of believing in religion and prayer, in fact, countless people have.

Words are not filthy or bad. They are just words.

another great post

jnday

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4590926 said:
I would probably tell you to mind your own damn business if you were to comment to me about what you might or might not have heard come out of my piehole.

Expected reaction considering the source.

rocboy22

Reaction score
Zaxor;4590563 said:
to what majority the "moral majority"

they are only words or are they something different

I think "War" is the dirtiest, most disgusting, most profane word I or anyone else could/would ever put in a mouth...

yet it is commonly used with little thought...where as if I said I stepped in "crap" (other word used) would make some people's hair stand on end

who gets to decide which words are profane?....

Bloody<--- that is a nasty word
* u ck <----- what a useful word this is it can be a noun, verb, adjective and works so well in so many situations and what is its original meaning? not nearly as bad as Bloody /War/ Rape and a host of others that are infinitely more appalling and disgusting...

so who gets to decide which words are profane and when are they up for reselection?

If someone doesn't like the way someone talks either ignore them/go away or wait for them to go away...we have to share this world and your picture of it may not fit to someone else's picture of it. Trying to regulate each and everyone's moral standards and code of conduct is way to militaristic in a free world and is as appalling and disgusting to me as many of the words that you probably think are"okay"

another great post

jnday

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4590931 said:
just like "oh the horror, my 10 year old saw a bad video, heard an adult oriented joke, or heard cussing" OMG

Some members of society are way too uptight.

It's not a matter of uptight. It is a matter of common courtesy, which is becoming more uncommon from the looks of things.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4589759 said:
It's the Hopper.

The Hopper

That tv ad with the Hopper and the family with the boston accent makes me laugh every time.

The HOPPER

Now they just need to do it with some cursing in it.

BP, I just noticed the new avatar! What happened to those lovely, flowing locks? ;)

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
jnday;4590951 said:
It's not a matter of uptight. It is a matter of common courtesy, which is becoming more uncommon from the looks of things.

what kind of reaction would you like when you go up to a stranger and tell him or her in front of her friends or family how they are supposed to act?

Are they supposed to say, oh yes, sorry I will try to meet your standards and apologize for allegedly bad behaviour?

Someone in here said they know people who go up to others in restaurants and tell them to take their hat off, or knock it off their head etc. I would deliberately put the hat back on and sue the goof for assault/battery. Would teach him to mind his own business.

We have way too many busibodies in society.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4590434 said:
and not every person wants to see others praying or saying grace before dinner at restaurants but we all have to put up with others do

Explain how said words are bad for children. Explain the negatives. Explain what will go wrong in your child's life if he hears such words. I can't think of a single person I know who did not hear curse words growing up. They all seem fine to me, but maybe it's just because I'm so warped from hearing curse words growing up.

Disrespect in that sense is relative. That argument is moot. Meaning and intent behind the words carries the respect, or lack of it. You can be just as disrespectful to someone without ever using a curse word. People who think others saying certain words in their presence is disrespectful think entirely too much of themselves, unless ofcourse the words are being said AT them and the meaning/intent behind them is disrespectful in nature.

I could write a book on the negatives of believing in religion and prayer, in fact, countless people have.

Words aren't as harmless or superfluous as some are making them out to be. Words are used to define things or emphasize points, and how you define and what you emphasize can have an impact on your kid's behavior going forward. It can influence how he treats other people.

Known words are chosen to make a bigger emphasis on a point and you don't simply insert random words to your sentences because they're just words.

Go shout a racial epithet in public and then explain how you're simply using 'just a word'. I'm sure you know the history of that word and what it's connotation brings with it. It may be a sever example, but it's a telling example of how words do effect people.

Being in the corporate world, I do agree things have gone too far with the sensitivity training and all the nonsense going on about being overly sensitive, but going too far and not going far at all doesn't create a good balance.

Being thankful and using language to a possible negative effect isn't even in the same sphere of behaviors. Very poor analogy, even for you CCF.

bounce

Reaction score

At their core, yes. They're words. However, the perception of the words is where the issue is. And there are words, whether you accept it or not, that have been perceived to be "filthy or bad."

Go into your boss's office and call him an "*** ******" and see if he takes it the same way as if you'd called him "buddy." It's just words, right?

See how it works in court, or to a police officer, or to a significant other.

You may think it's ridiculous - and it may be - but the societal reaction to those words is pretty set in stone. And you can fight it, and you can go down swinging, but you're still going down.

(And comparing it to religion or prayer is ridiculous. Totally irrelevant argument.)

*edit - just read up and saw that i pretty much echoed vta. So, just co-sign me with him/her.

jnday

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4590964 said:
what kind of reaction would you like when you go up to a stranger and tell him or her in front of her friends or family how they are supposed to act?

Are they supposed to say, oh yes, sorry I will try to meet your standards and apologize for allegedly bad behaviour?

Someone in here said they know people who go up to others in restaurants and tell them to take their hat off, or knock it off their head etc. I would deliberately put the hat back on and sue the goof for assault/battery. Would teach him to mind his own business.

We have way too many busibodies in society.

I have went up to people in different situations and asked them tp please watch their choice of words in front of kids. It has happened while watching the local high school football team. I never try to put them on the spot and I always go out of the way to be polite. Most cases are teenagers or people caught up in the moment. I simply ask them to watch what they say in front of my children. I have never had the first one that didn't respond with " I'm sorry" and explain that they wasn't aware of the children. Even the teenagers responded in a positive manner which surprised me. I am thankfull that I live in an area that still practice such manners and the display of such behaviour is very rare. Many public places have signs posted that state profanity is not allowed and the policy is enforced.
As for your ideal about sueing for assault, you wouldn't get a penny around here. Actually that kind of stuff wouldn't even see a courtroom.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Knock someone's hat off and it is battery. Whether you get a dime or not, could force you through court for some time and annoy the crap out of you.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
vta;4590978 said:
Words aren't as harmless or superfluous as some are making them out to be. Words are used to define things or emphasize points, and how you define and what you emphasize can have an impact on your kid's behavior going forward. It can influence how he treats other people.

Known words are chosen to make a bigger emphasis on a point and you don't simply insert random words to your sentences because they're just words.

Go shout a racial epithet in public and then explain how you're simply using 'just a word'. I'm sure you know the history of that word and what it's connotation brings with it. It may be a sever example, but it's a telling example of how words do effect people.

Being in the corporate world, I do agree things have gone too far with the sensitivity training and all the nonsense going on about being overly sensitive, but going too far and not going far at all doesn't create a good balance.

Being thankful and using language to a possible negative effect isn't even in the same sphere of behaviors. Very poor analogy, even for you CCF.

cuss is not a racial epithet

some cussing does not have any effect on you so why do you care

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4591178 said:
cuss is not a racial epithet

some cussing does not have any effect on you so why do you care

And words aren't simply 'words'. They have a purpose.
Why do I care about what? I don't care about foul mouths, I hang out with plenty and I have one of my own, that I can use when necessary. <---- Operative words.