2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4483786 said:
He's one of the top defensive centers but his entire offensive repitoire is lob dunks and putbacks. Wright is much more gifted with the ball in his hands.
Definitely the silver lining to the injuries this year have been: (1) the "discovery" of just how good Wright can be and (2) Roddy B's continued development

juck

Reaction score
DFWJC;4483784 said:
Wright needs Chandler's height though.

But yes, Wright is far better than Chandler offensively. He is at least as good at blocking shots, but I'm not sure he's big enough to guard the top big men (though his huge wingspan and crazy hops help). Chandler can guard the big guys fairly well.

You're right though, now that Wright is getting more minutes he looks like an amazing find. Derek Harper is always saying on the broadcast that he clearly should be out there most of the time. "Get that man more minutes!"
There aren't that many good big men in the league--most teams don't have one, let alone two like the Lakers.
So he would fare well 80+% of the time.
We have WOOD to guard the bigger centers.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yikes
Back-to-back at Miami then at Orlando...then home for the Clippers.
Can they take 2 of 3?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Many open 3s and many massive bricks. Miami has still only lost two at home.

juck

Reaction score
Jet was awful. Mavs take nights off I noticed. I dont like seeing that. Wood is def playing tommorow,but Orlando now. Jeez.cHeat are probably going to the finals again.

Reaction score
juck;4486436 said:
Jet was awful. Mavs take nights off I noticed. I dont like seeing that. Wood is def playing tommorow,but Orlando now. Jeez.cHeat are probably going to the finals again.

Nope Chicago is still the favorite in the East. Even with Rose out for a majority of the season they have the best record.

MC KAos

Reaction score
juck;4486436 said:

they didnt "take a night off" they got spanked, they just arent playing good right now. they wouldnt be taking nights off vs the heat or spurs. the mavs have issues, but not fatal ones they cant work out before the playoffs start. as ive stated before though, if the mavs want to repeat, i think they need to be at least a 4 seed, and they need to start winning some games vs good teams if they want to accomplish that.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
DFWJC;4485626 said:
Yikes
Back-to-back at Miami then at Orlando...then home for the Clippers.
Can they take 2 of 3?

If Orlando comes out like they did against the Knicks, the Mavs can call up 5 guys from their d-league affiliate and run the Magic out of the gym.

DFWJC

Reaction score
casmith07;4486524 said:
If Orlando comes out like they did against the Knicks, the Mavs can call up 5 guys from their d-league affiliate and run the Magic out of the gym.

But we know Orlando will be ready.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4486533 said:
But we know Orlando will be ready.

The magic are the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde team in the NBA. You just don't know what you are gonna get from them.

juck

Reaction score
MC KAos;4486494 said:
they didnt "take a night off" they got spanked, they just arent playing good right now. they wouldnt be taking nights off vs the heat or spurs. the mavs have issues, but not fatal ones they cant work out before the playoffs start. as ive stated before though, if the mavs want to repeat, i think they need to be at least a 4 seed, and they need to start winning some games vs good teams if they want to accomplish that.
Well they beat Houston two times in a row. We beat you guys a week ago. Beat OKC. I agree that they got spanked. But sometimes they dont seem to have focus like last year. Players knows things are gonna shake up after the season.

MC KAos

Reaction score
juck;4486862 said:
Well they beat Houston two times in a row. We beat you guys a week ago. Beat OKC. I agree that they got spanked. But sometimes they dont seem to have focus like last year. Players knows things are gonna shake up after the season.

but my point is that really only works when a good team is playing down to the competition. If an NBA team cant get up for its biggest rival or the miami heat, then there is something else wrong besides just taking nights off. the good news for you guys is that there have been flashes from the mavs when they have played great. once all the guys are healthy maybe they WILL get into a rhythm come playoff time. But its not gonna help if they have to get to the 5 seed IMO because there is NO ONE that is going to beat the lakers, then the spurs then the thunder in 3 consecutive series, much less without home court. So the mavs need to start stringing some wins together to improve their seeding and get to the 4 seed at least.

Reaction score
This year's Mavs remind me a lot of the 2007 Miami Heat. Miami was an old team that won a title the year before and was clearly satisfied. They simply didn't have much left in the tank and were swept in the 1st round. I doubt Dallas gets swept in the first round, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were a 1st round exit.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4487008 said:
but my point is that really only works when a good team is playing down to the competition. If an NBA team cant get up for its biggest rival or the miami heat, then there is something else wrong besides just taking nights off. the good news for you guys is that there have been flashes from the mavs when they have played great. once all the guys are healthy maybe they WILL get into a rhythm come playoff time. But its not gonna help if they have to get to the 5 seed IMO because there is NO ONE that is going to beat the lakers, then the spurs then the thunder in 3 consecutive series, much less without home court. So the mavs need to start stringing some wins together to improve their seeding and get to the 4 seed at least.
You'r probably right about that 5th seed.

But last year's Mavs did beat OKC, LAL, and Miami in consecutive series....and that seems very similar to what you just mentioned.

Asking this group to pull that off would be another thing altogether.

FWIW, the Mavs' record vs playoff bound teams is actually pretty good. It's the poor record vs the other teams that has their record so mediocre this late in the year.

West getting back into form and Haywwod comng back to give us more big man minutes whould help.
I do know this team's focus has been onth epost season all along, but you can't just flip the switch.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Now THAT was a gutsy win!

Down 16 late in the 3rd and came all the way back on the road for the win over Orlando.

Delonte definitely helps the perimeter defense. They missed his grit.

Dirk hit the game winner with 5 seconds left.

Go Mavs

MC KAos

Reaction score
nice win by the mavs, coming back like that on the road, vs a good team should give them lots of confidence going forward. having said that, im 99.999999% sure dirk didnt mean to use the glass on his game winning shot! but sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

first mavs game ive seen since the spurs game and there wasnt any crunch time in that one, but does kidd sit in crunch time now? or did they just go with the hot players?

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4487723 said:
nice win by the mavs, coming back like that on the road, vs a good team should give them lots of confidence going forward. having said that, im 99.999999% sure dirk didnt mean to use the glass on his game winning shot! but sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

first mavs game ive seen since the spurs game and there wasnt any crunch time in that one, but does kidd sit in crunch time now? or did they just go with the hot players?
He's been using glass in that spot all season? I bet he's hit that exact shot 30 times this year.
Can't you let us enjoy the win?:rolleyes:

Anyway, they've been very strictly (almost annoyingly) limiting minutes all season with the playoffs in mind. I assume Kidd played big minutes last night. Delonte has the fresh legs right now anyway. And Terry was hot and leads the the NBA in 4th qtr 3s--so b/c they were trying to close the gap, they needed the 3 pt potential. So yeah, the hot hand and minutes both factored in.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4487728 said:
He's been using glass in that spot all season? I bet he's hit that exact shot 30 times this year.
Can't you let us enjoy the win?:rolleyes:

Anyway, they've been very strictly (almost annoyingly) limiting minutes all season with the playoffs in mind. I assume Kidd played big minutes last night. Delonte has the fresh legs right now anyway. And Terry was hot and leads the the NBA in 4th qtr 3s--so b/c they were trying to close the gap, they needed the 3 pt potential. So yeah, the hot hand and minutes both factored in.

:laugh2: sorry, i really wouldnt know if he uses the glass or not, ive just never seen him do it before. it sure looked ugly as hell coming out, that is prob normal too though.

danielofthesaints

Reaction score
MC KAos;4487723 said:

lucky = good
good = lucky