2011-12 Dallas Mavericks thread.

DFWJC

Reaction score
juck;4487843 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ihcE49Rrro&feature=youtu.be

Unguardable shot. I freakin love Dirk. :p: I hope we keep DWEST and get DWILL next year. DWILL and DIRK O MY!
:laugh2: Awesome. He is an amzing shot-maker. As I mentioned to MCKos last night, he seems to be using glass alot these days when get gets that angle. Unblockable.

Anyway, the Clippers game on Monday is now looking a little bigger.
I may be sitting under the basket 3 or 4th row on the floor--Row AA--on the end closest to the Mavs bench. If so, I'll have a black Mavs Finals cap on that says "Playoffs".
There should be a lot going on above the rim in this one so I wanted down there to check it out.

A win pushes us into 4th. But a long ways to go still and some tough games ahead.

juck

Reaction score
Ill def watch for u. Over at Dallasbasketball.com they were mentioning when they put a Dirk statue outside the AAC its probably gonna be him doing the Euro one legged fadeaway like last night. And kids will always call that shot "The Dirk" lol Thats great stuff. Another Dallas Sports legend. Such great history from Landry,Staubach,Lilly,Emmitt,Troy,Irvin,etc...

Reaction score
The 2012 Mavs are one of the worst looking defending champions in recent memory. They make last year's Lakers look like the 96 Bulls. They remind me a lot of the 2007 Miami Heat. Like that Heat team the Mavs were and older team that had just won a title. They were clearly satisfied with one title and got their ***** kicked by Chicago in the playoffs. Mavs better get their **** together or they're looking at a first round exit.

MC KAos

Reaction score
they look bad, but i think its still premature to write them off at this point. the rockets were the fifth seed as defending champs and won the title again, anything is possible. i wish the playoffs were starting already!! too bad because of the lockout its going to be like 10 days later than usual

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4491033 said:
The 2012 Mavs are one of the worst looking defending champions in recent memory. They make last year's Lakers look like the 96 Bulls. They remind me a lot of the 2007 Miami Heat. Like that Heat team the Mavs were and older team that had just won a title. They were clearly satisfied with one title and got their ***** kicked by Chicago in the playoffs. Mavs better get their **** together or they're looking at a first round exit.

Cuban has all but said he was willing to risk this year for the near gurantee of landing Deron Williams and others this offseason. They had the second greatest roster turnover of any champion in history, nobody was expecting a repeat.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Bad time to lose Kidd for 4 games.
Still no excuse for that garbage last night.

Right or wrong, this team has been saying all along that due to the nature of this season and the make-up of this team, they just want to make the playoffs and see what happens from there.

This is one of the most unusual seasons in history, so aving unusual outcomes should not be as much of a surprise.

The Mavs had some roster turnover; 1 starter and a couple of others in the 9 man rotation . Combine that with the age factor, the additon of a player who sucks the life out the locket room, the beating that season has been, more injuries than most teams, and the lack of practice time (they will have 11 full practices all season) and you get what we are seeing.

Some nights they flat out sick.

They were the only team last year with 5 large salaries all coming back. Some of those guys have contract expiring this season so if they wanted to sign Chandler long-term (assuming he wanted to stay...big, big assumption) they would have needed to move some of the expiring contracts--maybe Marion and Terry. Haywood costs too much and could not have been moved. Kidd too.

Chandler was rented for one year at a relative bargain. They could not have kept that whole team in tact. It was not an option long term.

juck

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4491033 said:
Lockout ball,Championship last year, summer 2012. Thats what its about for the Mavs Brass.

juck

Reaction score
DFWJC;4491401 said:
Bad time to lose Kidd for 4 games.
Still no excuse for that garbage last night.

Right or wrong, this team has been saying all along that due to the nature of this season and the make-up of this team, they just want to make the playoffs and see what happens from there.

This is one of the most unusual seasons in history, so aving unusual outcomes should not be as much of a surprise.

The Mavs had some roster turnover; 1 starter and a couple of others in the 9 man rotation . Combine that with the age factor, the additon of a player who sucks the life out the locket room, the beating that season has been, more injuries than most teams, and the lack of practice time (they will have 11 full practices all season) and you get what we are seeing.Wait till this summer,they are gonna unload a lot more.

Some nights they flat out sick.

They were the only team last year with 5 large salaries all coming back. Some of those guys have contract expiring this season so if they wanted to sign Chandler long-term (assuming he wanted to stay...big, big assumption) they would have needed to move some of the expiring contracts--maybe Marion and Terry. Haywood costs too much and could not have been moved. Kidd too.

Chandler was rented for one year at a relative bargain. They could not have kept that whole team in tact. It was not an option long term.

It was either pay Chandler an obscene amount and JJB and Butler or dont overpay them semi blow the roster up and go build a younger team. I dont mind sacfificing one year after a ring for long term youth. Cuban and Donnie did right in my mind. I trust them.Especially with this lockout year that almost did not happen.

DFWJC

Reaction score
juck;4491413 said:
It was either pay Chandler an obscene amount and JJB and Butler or dont overpay them semi blow the roster up and go build a younger team. I dont mind sacfificing one year after a ring for long term youth. Cuban and Donnie did right in my mind. I trust them.Especially with this lockout year that almost did not happen.
Me neither.

But some need to understand, the Mavs could not have paid all of those guys...period. Taking the future out of the equation--they could not have paid them. They were over the cap last year when they had them at huge discount prices and the rules are more strict going forward. If they wanted to sign 1-2 of those guys long term, then they would have had to part with a couple fo other key pieces like Marion and Terry.
I've been trying to say that, but somehere seem to think that it was an option to bring back last year team in full and pay them all, plus the opnes stillunder contract.
It was litterally not an option.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Couldn't they amnesty someone? Or perhaps I'm about to answe my own question, did they not want to because the big contracts they have expire soon?

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4491452 said:
Couldn't they amnesty someone? Or perhaps I'm about to answe my own question, did they not want to because the big contracts they have expire soon?
I think they are targeting Haywood as the Amnesty guy. He signed a pretty big deal right before Tyson became available. He alone would not have been enough to get Tyson..and especially not Tyson and JJ. Butler was never an option...totally impossible. Like I said a week or so ago, however, I'm not so sure Tyson wanted to be here. He'd like to be in New York or LA.

juck

Reaction score
If Haywood gets the amnesty which probably will happen we will need another 5. Theres a few intriguing FAs. However they are gonna get paid too much. Lopez brothers are both UFA. Hibbert is a RFA.

DFWJC

Reaction score
juck;4491501 said:
If Haywood gets the amnesty which probably will happen we will need another 5. Theres a few intriguing FAs. However they are gonna get paid too much. Lopez brothers are both UFA. Hibbert is a RFA.
Yeah. In any case, the team that won the title will be even further gone by next year. I love having a tenacious defender like Marion on the team, but we may lose him too. You never know, for the most part, Cuban and Nelson do have a history of patching holes fairly well, so we'll see.

MC KAos

Reaction score
it will be an interesting off season indeed. i think the only team that might derail the Dwill to dallas signing might be the knicks. if they amnesty amare (which i think they will) i wouldnt be surprised if they went after him, could be interesting to follow. i think the mavs would want to make a decision quickly on that front if it does come down to competing with the knicks for him because the longer they wait, the worse their chances are to get plan b (nash)

the saving grace is the emergence of jeremy lin, but with his injury, they might be more inclined to go after D-will

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4491567 said:
it will be an interesting off season indeed. i think the only team that might derail the Dwill to dallas signing might be the knicks. if they amnesty amare (which i think they will) i wouldnt be surprised if they went after him, could be interesting to follow. i think the mavs would want to make a decision quickly on that front if it does come down to competing with the knicks for him because the longer they wait, the worse their chances are to get plan b (nash)

the saving grace is the emergence of jeremy lin, but with his injury, they might be more inclined to go after D-will
I'd never count the eggs, so to speak, if I were the Mavs.
Just a note, even if DWill goes elsewhere, I'd be shocked if Nash came here. They badly want to get younger after this season and going forward.
Never say never though.

juck

Reaction score
Knicks dont have any capspace, besides With Lin now I doubt that. The Nets are the only team I worry about to be honest. I do see Nash going to NY or Miami for a lower salary.As a backup I would love to get Dragic and maybe Brandon Rush. A few almost all star players would be ok.I love Dragic. Dude is gonna be a star.