2012 London Olympics thread *Spoilers*

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
daschoo;4641623 said:
I'm the opposite, I enjoy watching sports that I only ever watch once every 4 years and have watched next to no mens football which is my sport of choice. To me its things like field hockey, fencing, sync diving and 3 day eventing that make the Olympics what it is. That and things like the rower from Niger that finished so far behind the competition but still gets to call himself an Olympian.

yeah me too, field hockey, handball, rowing, swimming etc

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
joseephuss;4642175 said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olym...yers-charged-with-throwing-matches/56630488/1

Olympic badminton players expelled for trying to lose
By Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY

LONDON – The Badminton World Federation confirms it has disqualified eight female badminton players from China, South Korea and Indonesia from the Olympics doubles competition for trying to lose matches to receive a more favorable draw.

The federation found the players guilty of "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport" in matches Tuesday night.

Players were roundly booed after they appeared not to exert themselves in preliminary rounds of the round-robin tournament before they were set to move on to elimination competition.

as a result, Canada got to advance and is now in the semi-finals, :laugh1:

Ren

Reaction score
joseephuss;4642175 said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olym...yers-charged-with-throwing-matches/56630488/1

Olympic badminton players expelled for trying to lose
By Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY

LONDON – The Badminton World Federation confirms it has disqualified eight female badminton players from China, South Korea and Indonesia from the Olympics doubles competition for trying to lose matches to receive a more favorable draw.

The federation found the players guilty of "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport" in matches Tuesday night.

Players were roundly booed after they appeared not to exert themselves in preliminary rounds of the round-robin tournament before they were set to move on to elimination competition.

They showed it on TV here, reminded me of the south park episode where they have to play baseball all summer and they're trying to lose problem is so is everyone they play.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Olympic boxing is a joke,its a travesty right now watching these undeserving players win.

RamziD

Reaction score
daschoo;4641623 said:
I'm the opposite, I enjoy watching sports that I only ever watch once every 4 years and have watched next to no mens football which is my sport of choice. To me its things like field hockey, fencing, sync diving and 3 day eventing that make the Olympics what it is. That and things like the rower from Niger that finished so far behind the competition but still gets to call himself an Olympian.

I agree...I enjoy the Olympics for largely the same reason. That being said, beach volleyball is suddenly less interesting when they're in their warmups ;-)

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
Ren;4642807 said:
They showed it on TV here, reminded me of the south park episode where they have to play baseball all summer and they're trying to lose problem is so is everyone they play.

They get Kyle's cousin on the team so there is no chance they would win. :laugh2:

Ren

Reaction score
reddyuta;4642894 said:
Olympic boxing is a joke,its a travesty right now watching these undeserving players win.

You thinking of the GB/Cuba fight last night?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4642548 said:
as a result, Canada got to advance and is now in the semi-finals, :laugh1:

Yeah, Canada has always been a hotbed of badminton players... :D

Phoenix

Reaction score
Thought Tsonga would be able to give Djokovic more but wow. Djoker continues to be playing out of his mind this Olympics.

Watching Caro play Serena right now...

Phoenix

Reaction score
So of course as soon as I post that about Tsonga, when he is getting destroyed, he starts playing great! Turning into a good match!

Phoenix

Reaction score
Saw some of the women's archery, a little soccer, a little swimming, but focusing on the tennis. Djokovic closed out Tsonga, and now the lone remaining US man, Isner, is facing Federer...

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
reddyuta;4642894 said:

I quit watching Olympic boxing when Roy Jones Jr. got robbed in South Korea. I knew then it was a shame and it got worse when it was discovered the South Korean delegation wined and dined the judges days before the bout.

I see from comments the sport hasn't changed.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Hang in there Big John Isner!

Switching between Isner vs Federer and women's bikinis on the beach :)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix;4643668 said:
Hang in there Big John Isner!

Switching between Isner vs Federer and women's bikinis on the beach :)
The US women won the beach volleyball competition. It was a great match. :)

Phoenix

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4643803 said:
The US women won the beach volleyball competition. It was a great match. :)

Yes, it was! Come from behind in the 3rd set for the US women...nice!

Grrrr...can't find US women gymnasts live anywhere. Must be NBC Delayed Event again. Watching women on bicycles going in circles, and more tennis (Maria and her grunts)

Phoenix

Reaction score
Okay, Mexico vs Switzerland in soccer is on as well...and Russia vs Brazil in bball, both contests mens.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Just saw somewhere else that Gabby Douglas won the Gold in the women's all around Gymnastics haven't checked on who got the Sliver and Bronze.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Jammer;4643660 said:
I quit watching Olympic boxing when Roy Jones Jr. got robbed in South Korea. I knew then it was a shame and it got worse when it was discovered the South Korean delegation wined and dined the judges days before the bout.

I see from comments the sport hasn't changed.

I remember that and then to get back at the Koreans, they jobbed one of their boxers who simply refused to leave the ring for about 2 hours.

Ah the joys of judged sports.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Phoenix;4643823 said:
Yes, it was! Come from behind in the 3rd set for the US women...nice!

Grrrr...can't find US women gymnasts live anywhere. Must be NBC Delayed Event again. Watching women on bicycles going in circles, and more tennis (Maria and her grunts)

I can always handle watching Maria and her grunts. After Anna, arguably the hottest tennis player of all time.