2012 London Olympics thread *Spoilers*

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Romo_To_Dez;4643927 said:
Just saw somewhere else that Gabby Douglas won the Gold in the women's all around Gymnastics haven't checked on who got the Sliver and Bronze.

Russians got silver and bronze

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
US has now passed China for most medals overall, 35-33 but China still leads with 18 gold to 17 (as of this moment).

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
dez_for_prez;4644252 said:
Has Plelps become Greatest Olympian Ever?

that is hard to say, different era, more opportunities for medals and I suspect no one thought that the Russian he just passed for most medals was the best of all time.

Mark Spitz was amazing, but back then because they were amateurs, you usually only went to one Olympics.

Even though we all know Carl Lewis cheated, he had a great career. Is he better than Al Oerter who won what, 4 straight golds in his discipline, the discus?

What about Jim Thorpe?

Ren

Reaction score
Shame that teams like Nigeria get to play in the Olympics while Germany sit at home. Not saying Germany is a good team or anything but i really doubt anyone would beat them by 83 points

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Happens all the time at such tournaments. Canada beat Norway in hockey 9-0 and barely tried to score in the third, same for the game against Germany.

You have to allow each region to send athletes/teams or else you end up with it being just the same white countries in sports like bball, field hockey, soccer etc

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4644035 said:
US has now passed China for most medals overall, 35-33 but China still leads with 18 gold to 17 (as of this moment).

It's 18-18 in golds, 37-34 USA ioverall... this means that as of this moment, the USA leads the medal race 82-81...

That's 3 points for gold, 2 points for silver, 1 point for bronze...

This is shaping up to be an absolutely great medals race...

Bizwah

Reaction score
silverbear;4644594 said:
It's 18-18 in golds, 37-34 USA ioverall... this means that as of this moment, the USA leads the medal race 82-81...

I think we'll pull away when Track and Field events start.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
dez_for_prez;4644252 said:
Has Plelps become Greatest Olympian Ever?

He's the most decorated Olympian and likely the best to date in the pool, but you'd have to also consider others, including Jesse Owens, who had to overcome the whole "master race"nonsense. It isn't just measured in medals, but there's no question that Phelps is worthy of consideration.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Bizwah;4644688 said:
I think we'll pull away when Track and Field events start.

We are generally a pretty strong team in track & field, you might be right...

We'll need it, to overcome all the medals in table tennis the Chinese will win... :D

Ren

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4644464 said:
Happens all the time at such tournaments. Canada beat Norway in hockey 9-0 and barely tried to score in the third, same for the game against Germany.

You have to allow each region to send athletes/teams or else you end up with it being just the same white countries in sports like bball, field hockey, soccer etc

Some of the regions don't even have qualifiers, there's a rower from Niger that just decided 4 months before the Olympics that he was going to be a Rower (he preformed as you'd expect someone new to the sport to preform at the top level). He got a spot based on his nationality while someone else who's probably worked their butts of for a chance like that didn't.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
silverbear;4644594 said:

I doubt it... USA will surpass them by far when Track & Field events start...

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
The Gold Medal race seems closer between the USA and China over the last Olympics in Beijing. I think China had 51 to our 36 or so I heard. But I think that we have a good chance to top China in both Gold Medals and overall medals this time.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Romo_To_Dez;4645093 said:
The Gold Medal race seems closer between the USA and China over the last Olympics in Beijing. I think China had 51 to our 36 or so I heard. But I think that we have a good chance to top China in both Gold Medals and overall medals this time.

Statistically the host nation wins around 13 more medals than they do when they aren't hosting.