2017 NHL Playoff

haleyrules

Reaction score
My sports knowledge usually doesn't extend into the front office beyond the GM...lol. Well I do not think Montreal's FO has done a good job overall...I think it show's. Personally when MT was let go I would have preferred an interim head coach. As for their number 1 pick, if he see'sthe NHL it'll be at least 3-4 years...they've had way to many bust in round 1. I don't know what the answer is, they do need a number 1 center...
Agreed. I don't have a big problem with Julien. But, the club needs to look beyond certain ethnics to build their FO. The club needed players now!! Not 3 or 4 yrs from now and a long shot at that. Poor draft overall.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't have a big problem with Julien. But, the club needs to look beyond certain ethnics to build their FO. The club needed players now!! Not 3 or 4 yrs from now and a long shot at that. Poor draft overall.

Agreed, poor draft...Bergeron's draft's since being hired are mediocre at best. At this point 's keep Galchenyuk, put him at center with Max and Drouin as his wingers....see if Julien can get Galchenyuk going.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Glad that stupid expansion draft is over and the NHL draft is history...now onto FA. Montreal needs to sign someone of significance. I think this is Bergeron's last year as Montreal's GM, after that horrible draft he should be gone now, and that 1st round selection what a joke, I am not a fan of US college players, less of a fan of freshman college players...their number 1 pick (Ryan Poehling) has bust written all it
Speaking for the Kings, we killed the draft. Gabriel Vilardi fell into our laps. He was projected a top-5 pick, but fell because of skating concerns, the same concerns that dropped Kopi to 11 (same spot we drafted Vilardi) for us back in 2005, Lukin. Kopi fell in the 05 draft because of his skating, and the fact that there weren't a lot of (elite) Slovenians in the NHL.

This kid Vilardi is a wrecking ball, puck possession monster. 200 foot game, with a wicked shot and rated 5 (on a scale of 1-5) hockey IQ. Both Taveras and Draisaitl had skating concerns (as did Kopi and Toffoli) coming out and they worked it out. He is a hockey/rink rat. Loves the game. And his skating flaws are apparently being overblown. It's his initial 2 steps (where a player explodes through their legs) that are a bit funky and he needs to work on. But he never is behind the play. We have a true 1C prospect in him. So many fan bases were ruing the pick on HF. Especially DET and AVS fans.

Our second round pick, Doran, has Jeff Carter/RNH upside, and many believe he fell to the second round because he comes from a two mom home.

Kings did very well, and we needed it after all the trades or mortgaging of the future for our Cup runs. We have a somewhat baron prospect pool.

Blake did good by not interfering with our top player-personnel guys, Futa and Yannetti. He deferred to them, thank god.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Speaking for the Kings, we killed the draft. Gabriel Vilardi fell into our laps. He was projected a top-5 pick, but fell because of skating concerns, the same concerns that dropped Kopi to 11 (same spot we drafted Vilardi) for us back in 2005, Lukin. Kopi fell in the 05 draft because of his skating, and the fact that there weren't a lot of (elite) Slovenians in the NHL.

This kid Vilardi is a wrecking ball, puck possession monster. 200 foot game, with a wicked shot and rated 5 (on a scale of 1-5) hockey IQ. Both Taveras and Draisaitl had skating concerns (as did Kopi and Toffoli) coming out and they worked it out. He is a hockey/rink rat. Loves the game. And his skating flaws are apparently being overblown. It's his initial 2 steps (where a player explodes through their legs) that are a bit funky and he needs to work on. But he never is behind the play. We have a true 1C prospect in him. So many fan bases were ruing the pick on HF. Especially DET and AVS fans.

Our second round pick, Doran, has Jeff Carter/RNH upside, and many believe he fell to the second round because he comes from a two mom home.

Kings did very well, and we needed it after all the trades or mortgaging of the future for our Cup runs. We have a somewhat baron prospect pool.

Blake did good by not interfering with our top player-personnel guys, Futa and Yannetti. He deferred to them, thank god.

It looks like the Kings did well. The Kings FO is considerably better than Montreal...of course with 2 cups in recent memory I'm stating the obvious.

A return to the playoffs next year? contenders?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It looks like the Kings did well. The Kings FO is considerably better than Montreal...of course with 2 cups in recent memory I'm stating the obvious.

A return to the playoffs next year? contenders?
If LaDue continues to develop like we think he can, and Forbort continues to grow into the Willie Mitchell-type SAH top-4 dman that he flashed all of last season, yes we have a shot. We also have another young Dman with top-4 potential in Kevin Gravel. Dude has an amazing outlet pass, Lukin.

Stevens is also gonna open the game up some. Hopefully we land Bonino for the 3C spot. Then we'd have Kopi, Carts, and Bonino down the center, with Dowd or Shore on the 4 C.

We have a kid, Amadio who looks legit, who may get a call up, as well. We still need a top-6 fwd, and since Vegas took McNabb it's gonna be harder to trade for one. There's been a lot of talk of Evander Kane, but he would be a one year rental, and we don't have much to trade. Blake has said that he wants to be a player in FA. We'll see. The fandom is devided, I personally want to stand pat. It's why we fired Lombardi after all, for all his trades that didn't work out. Makes no sense to continue with the old status quo. Plus career worse years for Toff, Kopi, and Muzzin should turn around and help get us back in the hunt.

Still, we have a solid core, we should compete. Last year went down the drain when Quick went out 20 minutes into the first game of the season. We're dark horses, imo, Lukin.

lukin2006

Reaction score
If LaDue continues to develop like we think he can, and Forbort continues to grow into the Willie Mitchell-type SAH top-4 dman that he flashed all of last season, yes we have a shot. We also have another young Dman with top-4 potential in Kevin Gravel. Dude has an amazing outlet pass, Lukin.

Stevens is also gonna open the game up some. Hopefully we land Bonino for the 3C spot. Then we'd have Kopi, Carts, and Bonino down the center, with Dowd or Shore on the 4 C.

We have a kid, Amadio who looks legit, who may get a call up, as well. We still need a top-6 fwd, and since Vegas took McNabb it's gonna be harder to trade for one. There's been a lot of talk of Evander Kane, but he would be a one year rental, and we don't have much to trade. Blake has said that he wants to be a player in FA. We'll see. The fandom is devided, I personally want to stand pat. It's why we fired Lombardi after all, for all his trades that didn't work out. Makes no sense to continue with the old status quo. Plus career worse years for Toff, Kopi, and Muzzin should turn around and help get us back in the hunt.

Still, we have a solid core, we should compete. Last year went down the drain when Quick went out 20 minutes into the first game of the season. We're dark horses, imo, Lukin.

Your hockey knowledge is impressive. I couldn't tell you much about Montreal's prospect's, with hockey it takes to long for most players to get to the big club (if at all), so I tend not to pay attention much post draft...also in the case of Montreal they have very few high end prospects in the system. They need better player personal and scouts

You guys were in the hunt last year for a playoff spot. So it not a stretch to think that you guys will be in the hunt again. I remember a few years back when the west looked so strong and how many of us fans of eastern teams wondered what we needed to do to compete with the west, then Pittsburgh goes and wins back to back cups. Another point about the west was how happy RedWing fans were to see their team moving to the east because they thought LA and Chicago would dominate for the next decade, now they are in the east and I doubt they'll keep pace with Toronto (their biggest rival). Sounds like LA has some prospects. I think you guys will miss Sutter as coach though...however, I think his personality can wear on players...he expects everyone to give it a 110% nightly, because he gave it his all nightly.

It's a weak free agent year, so I expect outrageous spending...I'd love for Montreal to go after Shattenkirk, but he'll be to pricy, Sam Gagner as a number 2 center would be nice, Joe Thornton as well, but I think Jumbo Joe stays on the west coast (maybe LA).

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Your hockey knowledge is impressive. I couldn't tell you much about Montreal's prospect's, with hockey it takes to long for most players to get to the big club (if at all), so I tend not to pay attention much post draft...also in the case of Montreal they have very few high end prospects in the system. They need better player personal and scouts

You guys were in the hunt last year for a playoff spot. So it not a stretch to think that you guys will be in the hunt again. I remember a few years back when the west looked so strong and how many of us fans of eastern teams wondered what we needed to do to compete with the west, then Pittsburgh goes and wins back to back cups. Another point about the west was how happy RedWing fans were to see their team moving to the east because they thought LA and Chicago would dominate for the next decade, now they are in the east and I doubt they'll keep pace with Toronto (their biggest rival). Sounds like LA has some prospects. I think you guys will miss Sutter as coach though...however, I think his personality can wear on players...he expects everyone to give it a 110% nightly, because he gave it his all nightly.

It's a weak free agent year, so I expect outrageous spending...I'd love for Montreal to go after Shattenkirk, but he'll be to pricy, Sam Gagner as a number 2 center would be nice, Joe Thornton as well, but I think Jumbo Joe stays on the west coast (maybe LA).
Thanks, Lukin. I post regularly on a Kings board, so I'm pretty up to date with my team :)

Yeah, there's talks of Thornton to LA, but rumor is he wants three years. At 38 and probably $5 mil/AAV, I don't want him. There are quite a few Kings fans that do, but only if he does 2 years/5 AAV. I'd rather see us re-sign Iginla and get Bonino, myself.

Shattenkirk is a great regular season DMan but disappears in the playoffs. No leadership, either. Stay away! :)

lukin2006

Reaction score
Thanks, Lukin. I post regularly on a Kings board, so I'm pretty up to date with my team :)

Yeah, there's talks of Thornton to LA, but rumor is he wants three years. At 38 and probably $5 mil/AAV, I don't want him. There are quite a few Kings fans that do, but only if he does 2 years/5 AAV. I'd rather see us re-sign Iginla and get Bonino, myself.

Shattenkirk is a great regular season DMan but disappears in the playoffs. No leadership, either. Stay away! :)

That's true about Shattenkirk, some say the same about Thorton...

I was thinking 1 year, I still wouldn't be surprised he doesn't stay in San Jose...

In Montreal I'd roll the dice with Shattenkirk and Gagner. LA should get Thorton if they can, give him 3 with a million buy out in the last year...Even though LA missed the playoffs, they are still a very good team, a guy like Thorton could be the difference, win all the cups you can now while the core is still there...once the core starts to leave the window closes fast...then its 25 years later an no championships.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

I was thinking 1 year, I still wouldn't be surprised he doesn't stay in San Jose...

In Montreal I'd roll the dice with Shattenkirk and Gagner. LA should get Thorton if they can, give him 3 with a million buy out in the last year...Even though LA missed the playoffs, they are still a very good team, a guy like Thorton could be the difference, win all the cups you can now while the core is still there...once the core starts to leave the window closes fast...then its 25 years later an no championships.
Doubt very much Thornton signs for that, Lukin

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Uh oh, Lukin! Rumors of Radulov on the move!

To be fair, it's probably a negotiating ploy.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Uh oh, Lukin! Rumors of Radulov on the move!

To be fair, it's probably a negotiating ploy.

Radulov wants 6-7 year contract at 7 million per. He's not worth that much, and no way I give him 6-7 years. I'd go 5 at 6 million per. Not really sure he's is a priority, Montreal now has Drouin, Galchenyuk and Max as high end wingers...they need defense and a center. Myself, I'd sign Galchenyuk and move him to center and leave him there, let him develop, then I'd try and sign Gagner as my number 2 center, try and get Radulov signed and get a free agent defense man.

Trouty, I read that Thorton is in contact with LA, I think he either plays in LA or resigns with the sharks. I've also heard he'd consider Montreal, him setting Radulov, Drouin or Max could be a dangerous number 1 line...I just don't see him leaving the west coast.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Radulov wants 6-7 year contract at 7 million per. He's not worth that much, and no way I give him 6-7 years. I'd go 5 at 6 million per. Not really sure he's is a priority, Montreal now has Drouin, Galchenyuk and Max as high end wingers...they need defense and a center. Myself, I'd sign Galchenyuk and move him to center and leave him there, let him develop, then I'd try and sign Gagner as my number 2 center, try and get Radulov signed and get a free agent defense man.

Trouty, I read that Thorton is in contact with LA, I think he either plays in LA or resigns with the sharks. I've also heard he'd consider Montreal, him setting Radulov, Drouin or Max could be a dangerous number 1 line...I just don't see him leaving the west coast.
Yeah man, the Thornton talks are heating up. There's even rumors we may go after Marleau as well. Gonna be interesting, Lukin.

We just poached a promising G from the Sabres, Cal Petersen. Sabres fans are livid LOL :)

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yeah man, the Thornton talks are heating up. There's even rumors we may go after Marleau as well. Gonna be interesting, Lukin.

We just poached a promising G from the Sabres, Cal Petersen. Sabres fans are livid LOL :)

The Sabres are a continual dumpster fire, I think the fans are still mad that Babcock choose Toronto over them. Marleau and Thorton both would be a coup, and LA has good leadership with Carter, Doughty and Quick, so Thorton and Marleau wouldn't be expected to be leaders. I think both just want to win a cup, so they might except lesser roles for the opportunity. Free Agency starts July 1, should start hearing where some players are headed either today or tomorrow.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Montreal has agreed to a contract with Karl Alzner, formerly of the Capitals. I like the signing, let Markov go. Hopefully they let Radulov walk as well.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Montreal has agreed to a contract with Karl Alzner, formerly of the Capitals. I like the signing, let Markov go. Hopefully they let Radulov walk as well.
Good signing. The AAV is good.

Hearing Thornton and Marleau are staying in SJ now. SJ just gave huge extensions to Vlasic and Jones.

Kings signed Mike Cammalleri to a one year, $1mil + incentives. Decent signing, we need PP help. He was here ten years ago :)

Still need a 3C. Bonino signed for friggin' $4+ mil AAV. No thanks, but I wanted him.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Good signing. The AAV is good.

Hearing Thornton and Marleau are staying in SJ now. SJ just gave huge extensions to Vlasic and Jones.

Kings signed Mike Cammalleri to a one year, $1mil + incentives. Decent signing, we need PP help. He was here ten years ago :)

Still need a 3C. Bonino signed for friggin' $4+ mil AAV. No thanks, but I wanted him.

Very weak free agent class this year. Surprised Tavarras will not test the free agent market, he could break the bank somewhere. Montreal and LA both had quiet days. Not surprised either remained in San Jose, pretty nice up that way if you got the bucks, and they do. I like the AAV on Alzner as well, hearing Radulov is still in play for Montreal, I'd have to think if he signs then Galchenyuk gets traded...well see. Still the best way to win is draft well...

lukin2006

Reaction score
Best goalie in the league. Just needs to stay healthy. Great extension. Good stuff, Lukin!

Hopefully the cap goes up more than it has been, otherwise Montreal will have problems cap wise...

He is their best player, pretty hard to let him walk in a year.

Radulov signed with the Dallas, I'm hearing 5 years @ 6 million per...

I'm glad in a way, I'm not a huge fan of Russian hockey players, they are more in it for themselves...

Look at Ovi, the best pure goal scorer the last 10 years, Washington arguably the best regular season team the last 3-4 years, nada cups, and probably last season was their best chance.

The loss of Radulov is compensated by the pickup of Drouin who I think is a better with way more upside. With that being sad, I'd bring Markov back for 2 years and hope someone in the AHL is ready to step up within 2 years...only because Montreal has no choice.

Overall Montreal needs to remake their entire FO...Bergeron is not a good GM, he tried to bring both Radulov and Markov back...in the end it sounds like is initial offers were to low and probably offended both, a more prudent GM would have targeted just one to bring back.

It will be pretty much the same as last season, I'm not expecting much from Montreal...another disappointing off-season to say the least.