2023 Cap Hits: Brock Purdy 1M, Jordan Love 4M, Dak Prescott 27M

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Only thing this confirms is that we should've loaded the team while Dak was on a rookie contract but we didn't.
Too much dead cap overhang when we hit on Dak.

Our great failure when we hit on Dak was having *two* franchise QBs and dropping down to *one* with *nothing* to show for that drop down.

Alternate timeline - they put Tony back in as starter in 2016 and trade Dak for a *truckload* of picks and players in the offseason. Much like Purdy now, Dak's contract in 2016 was the most valuable in the league. Trading it should have yielded a king's ransom.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok and…..purdy will be in line for a mega extension and then they’ll face the same roster hurdles other teams do. Once dak was off his rookie contract that’s when things got complicated but that’s also how it is for most teams. If you can win big during the qb’s rookie deal than that’s ideal but it’s easier said than done.
Yeah, Purdy will be in for a raise, but if he win a SB it will be worth it. Dak can't even get passed a 7th seed and is paid like he won 12 SB's!

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I laugh at this whole "get a rookie QB cheap for four years and build a championship team with the cap savings". What was the last team that did that? And even if there are a few, what are the odds the Cowboys will:

1. Find a rookie QB that can actually step right in and win double digit games, and

2. Actually build a team that can rival the 49ers or Ravens in the amount of time you do have that QB cheap?

I get the whole "anybody but Dak" vibe now but I'm not interested in getting the next Justin Fields or Zack Wilson and then watch the Jones boys go cheap in free agency just to have Dan Quinn's defense get run over again. We'd become the Commanders of the past twenty years that way.

Heck, at least with Dak we can enjoy the regular season. Small victories.

Brooksey

Reaction score
"But why was Quinn playing zone?"
A hobbled Gilmore, nothing at LB, nothing at DT.
Tough row to hoe for Quinn.

I think the lack of roster at least partially points back to Quinn and his philosophy. Not sure whether the failure to use Parsons at MLB should be attributed to Quinn or our GM. Likely both for both these problems.
S. Gilmore couldn't play man coverage, he played with a torn rotator cuff in a brace

Last edited:

Brooksey

Reaction score
I laugh at this whole "get a rookie QB cheap for four years and build a championship team with the cap savings". What was the last team that did that? And even if there are a few, what are the odds the Cowboys will:

1. Find a rookie QB that can actually step right in and win double digit games, and

2. Actually build a team that can rival the 49ers or Ravens in the amount of time you do have that QB cheap?

I get the whole "anybody but Dak" vibe now but I'm not interested in getting the next Justin Fields or Zack Wilson and then watch the Jones boys go cheap in free agency just to have Dan Quinn's defense get run over again. We'd become the Commanders of the past twenty years that way.

Heck, at least with Dak we can enjoy the regular season. Small victories.
Well that's one way to look at it or you can look at other teams who use our model, KC, Buffalo, Baltimore etc.

Those QB's are performing vs choking in the playoffs, playing their best football when it's on the line.

In the end I think SF has such an advantage with Purdy's Cap hit, they win the whole thing with the best roster.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Well that's one way to look at it or you can look at other teams who use our model, KC, Buffalo, Baltimore etc.

Those QB's are performing vs choking in the playoffs, playing their best football when it's on the line.

In the end I think SF has such an advantage with Purdy's Cap hit, they win the whole thing with the best roster.
That's the catch. I don't see the Cowboys being able to emulate the 49ers or Ravens' roster building. And all assuming they get a QB at least Dak's equal. All jokes aside the odds heavily favor getting someone worse. Playoff choke or not the guy has won 73 games and did throw for 4500 yards and 36 touchdowns this season. That's a ton of production to replace.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Purdy and Love’s big payday will come. They won’t be playing for cheap for long.
Purdy in 2026, Love in 2025. I wonder if they get 50-60M a year with 30-35M cap hits?
If so let's compare apples to apples then and see how good their roster is.

It's not a fair fight in the NFC right now, especially with Purdy.

They should win it all this year

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Yeah, Purdy will be in for a raise, but if he win a SB it will be worth it. Dak can't even get passed a 7th seed and is paid like he won 12 SB's!

Of course if you win a super bowl it’s worth it lol. That isn’t the point, the point is teams who can compete and have a great team with a qb on a rookie deal are at a huge advantage but you have to strike within that 4 year window. It rarely gets done.

Brooksey

Reaction score
That's the catch. I don't see the Cowboys being able to emulate the 49ers or Ravens' roster building. And all assuming they get a QB at least Dak's equal. All jokes aside the odds heavily favor getting someone worse. Playoff choke or not the guy has won 73 games and did throw for 4500 yards and 36 touchdowns this season. That's a ton of production to replace.
I can't disagree with the regular season production but the AFC teams paying this kind of money are getting big time playoff production.

My point is If we had 30M additional to spend in 2023 and we increased our QB production in the playoffs, that puts this roster into the SB as favorites.

That's what SF has right now

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Agreed. No argument there.

Dak NEEDS to accept a contract extension of between $35 - $40 mil/year and give the team a good discount so we can keep the main pieces in place while able to keep building the team.
Dak and Tua are the established NFL QBs up for extensions. I suspect both expect to be paid commensurate with their peers. The alternative is their respective teams decide they are not part of the franchise’s future. Prescott’s representation negotiated his current contract to put him in a position to be able to dictate terms. Do you believe Dak’s agent did that work only to tell his client he “NEEDS” to accept $35-$40 million per year? He’d be paid less than two of the QB’s in the same division despite having outperformed both. I think his agent would like to sign additional clients. Shortchanging Dak would hardly enhance his reputation. Jerry Jones isn’t the only person in the coming negotiation with an ego.

Ken

Reaction score
Perhaps their defense was encouraged when their QB didn't spot the opponent 14 points in the first 20 minutes
Defense got worked on the first drive.

Nobody told them to let them score a td on the int deep in their zone.

They scored on 6 of 7 drives to start the game and only stopped scoring when they put their backups in.

Show me another defense with that futility this weekend?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Ok and…..purdy will be in line for a mega extension and then they’ll face the same roster hurdles other teams do. Once dak was off his rookie contract that’s when things got complicated but that’s also how it is for most teams. If you can win big during the qb’s rookie deal than that’s ideal but it’s easier said than done.
The difference, Purdy has shown he can win in the playoffs.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Nobody told them to let them score a td on the int deep in their zone.

I don't even need to rebut this. You're straight up blaming the defense for giving up points on a possession that started on our 18 yard line due to a Dak int.

I'll let your words stan(d) on their own merit.