2024 QBs

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Wrong. So wrong. Do you think the Cowboys will win a super bowl with Dak? Then why are you trying?

MOVE ON. Keep everyone. Trade draft picks. That's what teams want. Won't be a rebuild at all. Go draft someone who you think can get the team over the hump. A rookie deal is peanuts in the salary cap world.

The very stupid extension he will be getting next year is just wasted cap space. So the truth is the team is getting ready to make 2 huge mistakes. Keep Dak and overpay him. Why not use that money on FA's?

Once again, Do you think the Cowboys will win a super bowl with Dak? Then stop trying!
They can, yes.

If you are trading picks and trading up, you are handcuffing the roster in the short term and limiting your ability to improve long term. You're taking a roster that is built to win right now and cutting the legs out from under it. It's exactly what GB did with Jordan Love.

You act like getting a new quarterback is some sort of guarantee, which is wrong. But the biggest flaw in your argument is that you use Dak money on FAs. You a) have dead cap if you release him b) have to pay another QB anyway and c) there are no two free agents ever available worth a quality QB.

I really have no idea why Cowboys fans want to build a team exactly how Washington and the Colts have over the last 5-6 years.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Williams is a lock to be top 3 unless he gets injured. Penix is the reason why you stay in school. Two years ago at Indiana he was a 4th round pick at best. I am hearing now he might be the third quarterback taken, top 10 draft pick guaranteed.
Right. But my point is that NIL incentivizes him to stay and make more than he would as a 4th rounder or whatever.

Draft stock doesn't mean anything other than what you're paid on your rookie deal.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The problem is you can’t just think 10 quarterbacks will come out in this draft. Why come out and face scrutiny and get embarrassed like the Kentucky kid. When you can stay in school and collect millions while improving your draft stock.
The financial considerations for any college player staying for the NIL dollars are pretty simple - you're sacrificing one year of your potential NFL salary for one year of a known NIL salary.

The worst player sticking on an NFL roster is making $1M per year, so if you think you're NFL material at all, that's your minimum price tag for staying. If you are a Cooper Rush level QB, you could be making $3M with an extra year in the pros. If you're a Daniel Jones level QB, you could make $40M.

The only players I could see staying for the NIL bucks are guys like Kellen Moore or Tim Tebow, big-name college heroes with absolutely no shot in the pros. Otherwise, the NFL simply pays more than boosters do.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The financial considerations for any college player staying for the NIL dollars are pretty simple - you're sacrificing one year of your potential NFL salary for one year of a known NIL salary.

The worst player sticking on an NFL roster is making $1M per year, so if you think you're NFL material at all, that's your minimum price tag for staying. If you are a Cooper Rush level QB, you could be making $3M with an extra year in the pros. If you're a Daniel Jones level QB, you could make $40M.

The only players I could see staying for the NIL bucks are guys like Kellen Moore or Tim Tebow, big-name college heroes with absolutely no shot in the pros. Otherwise, the NFL simply pays more than boosters do.
Not necessarily. The Florida St. quarterback for example is making more money in Tallahassee than he would have made in the draft this season. Their defensive end gave up being a top 15 pick to stay another season as well. The Notre Dame quarterback that came from Wake Forest is making a ton as well. Supposedly the Manning kid will make 10 million + as soon as he is made the starter at Texas.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'll be watching Drake Maye every game, but, like Caleb Willaims, he doesn't really apply to this thread.

So ready for football!

DFWJC

Reaction score

Partially, yes.

But some guys stay in college another year and launch their draft value WAY up....so that move would be worth 20-30 million

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I don't think this is necessarily true. A guy like, say, JJ McCarthy has a shot to be an NFL talent, but if he comes out this year might go in the second round. That's, roughly, a 4-year, $10m deal.

It shouldn't shock anybody if he's getting, say, $5m in Michigan, which gives him more cash up front while working to up his draft stock.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Riley Leonard from Duke. I think he could have a big year and make a push as QB3 in the draft

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I'll be watching Drake Maye every game, but, like Caleb Willaims, he doesn't really apply to this thread.

So ready for football!
Yeah im waiting on bated breath for football to come back. I will keep Eye on Maye as well, i just think he's going to end up being #2 overal pic if his arch stays like it is now. Here's hoping for a Sam Howell fall

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Riley Leonard from Duke. I think he could have a big year and make a push as QB3 in the draft
i watched some tape of him and most of his throws were either Bombs or dump offs. he really reminded me of Brandon Weeden.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I like Leonard a lot, but I don't think he has the raw arm talent to get into that conversation. That said, he's still really young and could make big strides physically and with his mechanics this year. It would not surprise me at all to see him go in the first. He's got a really quick release that could separate him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wrong. So wrong. Do you think the Cowboys will win a super bowl with Dak? Then why are you trying?

MOVE ON. Keep everyone. Trade draft picks. That's what teams want. Won't be a rebuild at all. Go draft someone who you think can get the team over the hump. A rookie deal is peanuts in the salary cap world.

The very stupid extension he will be getting next year is just wasted cap space. So the truth is the team is getting ready to make 2 huge mistakes. Keep Dak and overpay him. Why not use that money on FA's?

Once again, Do you think the Cowboys will win a super bowl with Dak? Then stop trying!
I don't know if Dak will win a ring but I sure as hell know he's better than those QB's listed in here.

rambo2

Reaction score
I want Caleb Williams, But we would have to have the worse record in the league to get him.
There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't use a first round pick on QB next year even if it requires a trade up. You forgot to add Drake Maye.
And I will definitely have my eyes on this QB.

What about an offensive lineman? They are going to need one.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont know if Dak can take them to a superbowl only time will tell. but looking forward to 2024 QB class who do you like that could be drafted by cowboys.
No idea. Way too soon for me. Others in here have a better idea.

You think Dak can win a super bowl with the Cowboys. Welcome to the minority.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Staying with Dak is?

Uh, NO.

I know he isn't worth what they are going to pay him. June 1st cut to split the cap hit.
No nothing is a guarantee, but at least staying with Dak gives you a shot to win now. Your scenario is laughably wrong. Here's what you're trying to do:

June-1 cut Dak: Dak's cap hit is now $25.4m for the next two years.
Rookie first-round QB: ~$6m
Vet QB: $20m

You have to sign a vet QB if you're making the argument that you want to be competitive, because rookie QBs are a toss up. You're paying more against the cap to quarterbacks - nearly double - than if you just extend Dak.

You're logic is entirely wrong. Per OTC, extending Dak SAVES you ~$26m next year. So you can extend Dak, use all your draft capital and supporting pieces and have plenty of money to sign your own and few depth FAs, or you can spend more and get worse while still trying to contend.

You extend Dak, or you gut it and rebuild. There is no middle ground.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Good luck with that.

Didn't read the rest. Can't get past the above part.
Yes you did. You just won't admit that you're wrong on how to approach it.

I know that folks like you are allergic to things like fact and reason, but you are entirely wrong.