Twitter: 2nd round tender on Steele

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Lol whoa, looks like they might be getting a 2nd round pick this yr. Think this might be more with Tryon than Steele. Could easily see tyron play 3 more yrs he's only 32.
He's 32 going on 42. Lots of wear and tear as well as his annual stint on IL. The guy is as dependable as my 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Dammmm thing ain't worth the annual registration fee.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have not read through all the posts yet.

Does anyone think any team will give up a 2nd round pick for a player coming off an ACL injury and may not be ready for TC at 100%.
You know he will start TC on PUP. It is what this team does.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
what is he? 31? his games missed is going to go up not down.
He turned 32 in Dec. This will be his 12th yr. In 2020 and in 2022 had nothing to do with his chronic neck. Were just injuries that happen everyday to players. Actually he hasn't had issues with the neck since he got that surgery he put off for yrs

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Does anyone think any team will give up a 2nd round pick for a player coming off an ACL injury and may not be ready for TC at 100%.
Depends on the medicals when he visits. They'll find out if Jones was being truthful, or blowing smoke trying to get something for him. I'm sure they'd like to keep him, but only putting the 2nd rd on him says if he leaves they're OK with that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The last time I remember them using a 1st round tender was Barber. They used round tender on Irving and Austin when they were RFA's. A 2nd round tender doesnt mean we are more likely to lose him. It just means we dont have to commit as much money if we dont extend him. If someone offers him an offer sheet, they will match it.
Dallas put the highest tender on Austin.
https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4666895/miles-austin-getting-high-tender

David irving nobody was touching because of his ped suspensions.

rambo2

Reaction score

If you read through them, you will see a lot of ignorant posts by people that don't understand how this works. A team isn't going to overpay which would be the only way that they could get him because the Cowboys can match any offer that he gets.

Adreme

Reaction score

Plus even healthy he is considered a mid tier starter that would need a contract. Nobody is paying a 2nd for that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm actually OK with this, and I'm a huge Steele fan. It really comes back to 1 of 3 possible outcomes.

1) No one gives up a 2nd for Steele coming off a fairly significant injury and you end up resigning Steele for a few dollars cheaper
2) You end up with a 2nd round pick and more money to go around to bring back other players like LVE & Wilson or it opens you up to make a splash move like the Ramsey rumor
3) You end up with a 2nd round pick and this front office just sits on the money

2 of the 3 scenarios I'm completely fine with.

Exactly, and, if someone signs for Steele, then we just use that pick to get OT Dawani Jones in round 2 from Ohio State.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think Dallas are willing to match any reasonable offer for Steele and if somebody overpays they are comfortable getting a 2nd round pick for him. This in a way helps them more likely to retain Steele as opposed to using the 1st round tender, no team gives him a offer sheet, and then he’s unrestricted next year.

Verdict

Reaction score
He hasn’t played a full season for years. To rely on him now to be the starter all year is ridiculous. Steele, who I was never a believer in, has turned into a solid starter. Have to keep him.
Probably will match and keep him if someone tries to sign him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Jason Peters isn't in the discussion to be quite frank. If he is influencing this teams decisions we have already failed.

I think the team sees Peters for his real value - he's a guy who even at his age is better than your average tackle. More importantly, the young guys really listened to him and he is a willing mentor. Tyron is not that sort of guy - he just grunts.