49ers releasing Bowman. Should Cowboys be interested?***Merged***

Carson

Reaction score
seeing a lot on Twitter (multiple but random accounts) that the Cowboys, along with Raiders, Texans, and Broncos are the rumored teams to have interest in him. Will post something if I can find a more reliable source slash Twitter account.

I'd be on the first flight to Houston and wouldn't leave if I were him

TheHerd

Reaction score
Cmon guys. No one can replace Wilber, Durant, Hichens, and Smith.

No way we go after this guy. Who would they cut? Kellen? We can't let any of our all-pros on the bench go. We'd rue day.

Patriots sign him and never look back.

Aven8

Reaction score
I heared that a lot of teams are already talking to him. My guess is he will cost to much.

With El Cheapo Stephen running things you're right. They will chalk it up as it just didn't make sense financially when someone signs him for 1 year 3.5 million!!! :(

Carson

Reaction score
With El Cheapo Stephen running things you're right. They will chalk it up as it just didn't make sense financially when someone signs him for 1 year 3.5 million!!! :(

Exactly!!!

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score

Sad but so true.

Aven8

Reaction score
Cmon guys. No one can replace Wilber, Durant, Hichens, and Smith.

No way we go after this guy. Who would they cut? Kellen? We can't let any of our all-pros on the bench go. We'd rue day.

Patriots sign him and never look back.

I would take Rolondo off the couch on the purple drink over Durant and Smith right now!!!!

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Brad Sham just said that its his understanding the team views him as a good to above average player still who lost some ability to run. He thinks they will seriously look at him but the issue is what will he do here, thinks they need a defined plan for him and where he will play and how many snaps and who will they cut. He also said he thinks if you sign him you do it to sign him as a starter.

In reference as to "who they will cut"- Zeke will be suspended soon and Stephen Paea will be placed on the retired list soon.

There's two open spots for Bowman. And even if there weren't, can't Justin March-Lillard go?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He's 29 and under contract through 2022.
His cap numbers the next few years would be:
2017 - $6.75M
2018 - $8.7M
2019 - $2.55M
2020 - $5.85M
2021 - $7.65M
2022 - $8.5M

He'll probably cost more than the Cowboys would be willing to give up. Plus, it would be admitting Jaylon Smith wasn't ready.

The team trading for him is not obligated to pay that salary. Besides, the 49ers are on the hook for the guaranteed money (i.e. Signing bonus).

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The team trading for him is not obligated to pay that salary. Besides, the 49ers are on the hook for the guaranteed money (i.e. Signing bonus).
Oh I know. That would have been worst case scenario, just posted the base salaries. He didn't have any guaranteed money left. New team could have ripped up that contract and gave him a new one. Doesn't matter now since 49ers released him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Oh I know. That would have been worst case scenario, just posted the base salaries. He didn't have any guaranteed money left. New team could have ripped up that contract and gave him a new one. Doesn't matter now since 49ers released him.

The Cowboys had interest in him during the draft and nearly drafted him to go along with Lee, so there may be some lingering interest.