Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No we did not forget. It was brought up in the Cowboys traded for Trey lance thread.

Going to merge this thread into that one.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that. This is a fresh opportunity to have a QB on a rookie deal and traded a 4th to get him. I sense they will do no such thing. I sense they'll use him on his current contract. See what they reckon. And decide from there.
I was talking about lowering the $5 million number in 2025 or just restructure it with a SB where it's spread out between these two years. It would be too help the Cowboys salary cap number.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
So, wait, this dude was the 3rd overall pick last year? That's crazy.
There is nothing but upside potential here. Guy hasn't had a chance to have a cup of coffee in the league yet. Worse case he is Teddy 2 gloves, or Geno Smith. Best case he is a way to get away from Dak with some fresh legs and cash to sign Micah. RPO baby. Let's roll. Give me another athletic QB in the same mold and goodbye Dak. Easy replacement. Hey Dak how do you like the weather in Vegas Denver or Tennessee?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not comparing him to anyone, but there's been some great QB's that rode the bench for several years. A 4th is a great gamble position.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
You don't listen to DFW media apparently.

He's not been awful. He's just preseason Dak. Lots of picks.
You must be focused on that lardazz Todd Archer who was yapping about a couple bad practices. So Dak throws a few picks on 7-7 with Diggs and Gilmore at CB a couple weeks ago and somehow he is having a terrible camp??? Come on. You are better than that. Listen to the Locked On discussion about the scrimmage. Broaddus flapping his gums about Dak? That guy is a certified clown.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This is a move to hedge against Dak underperforming this year. I heard that his training camp is not looking so good, if things go sideways this season Dak won't be in Dallas next year's and Cooper Rush will be the starter until the next QB takes over.

The fact that Rush went 4-1 last year shows the team is good enough to win in the regular season without Dak.
You heard very very wrong. Dak's had an outstanding camp. Crazy **** here on the zone.

Adreme

Reaction score
That is a terrible analogy lol. The boxes were purchased three years apart for starters. I dont see what the Purdy pick and the Lance pick have to do with one another.

More importantly the 300 for 4 wasn't even my quote.
It doesn't matter how you get a franchise QB and it does not matter what you have to spend to get them. The 49ers overall have traded a 2nd, 3 1s, and used a 7th to find their franchise QB for the next 15 years. If they have him right now it doesn't matter how they got there. They overall paid a lot of picks but if you have your guy it is still worth it and they still have 3 more years of VERY cheap QB play (7th round pick after all) before they even have to start kicking the can of his contract down the road.

They then managed to make that sting a little less by finding a team willing to pay a 4th round pick for a guy who could not beat out Sam Darnold for a backup job because they knew he was a bust. The fact that they managed to both get a franchise QB and get someone to take a miss off their hands is a complete win for them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Fine with this. A 4th is in the wheelhouse where I would want to take a QB. His cap numbers are manageable. I have no problems kicking the tires

Not just manageable, I think it's an opportunity to reset what the FO may want to do.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
2 years ago

NO he wont. LOL

The kid cant even read a defense at this point and doenst even know the system. Rush is a much better QB right now. Lance will need several years.
Trust me.....he'll be number 2. Watch! If you think the Cowboys traded a 4th rd pick for him to be the 3rd QB....you're crazy and dont know football business