Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh, that… Yes, I suppose that was a distraction. But no, it was not good at the time.

The difference is Hurts already had a much higher floor than Trey Lance. Nobody could’ve really predicted his ceiling.

Lance just has not played a lot of football… It was literally all hype potential… Which would not have been noticed as much in the first place if Wentz wasn’t drafted that high earlier from the same school

Hurts at least played at Alabama and Oklahoma against decent competition. His floor was much higher.

Yes, I understand that about Hurts and Lance. However, do you think Hurts would've done as well for you if he'd started his rookie year, or did he need some time to develop? I think it's a similar situation here. I agree that Lance hasn't played a lot of football, but I think it'll help him in the sense that 1. He's got a simpler system than Shanahan and 2. He's under no pressure to start this year. All he's got to do is watch and learn this year.

Reactions: CWR

T-RO

Reaction score
Contacts are meant to be broken. Dak can and will be traded eventually. Hope Dallas can get a 4th in return and pay half the money owed.
You don't understand the absolute lock of dead cap consequences for the Cowboys, were they to trade Dak or cut him. It ain't happening.

You can't "break" locked in guaranteed money and signing bonuses.

CWR

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how you get a franchise QB and it does not matter what you have to spend to get them. The 49ers overall have traded a 2nd, 3 1s, and used a 7th to find their franchise QB for the next 15 years. If they have him right now it doesn't matter how they got there. They overall paid a lot of picks but if you have your guy it is still worth it and they still have 3 more years of VERY cheap QB play (7th round pick after all) before they even have to start kicking the can of his contract down the road.

They then managed to make that sting a little less by finding a team willing to pay a 4th round pick for a guy who could not beat out Sam Darnold for a backup job because they knew he was a bust. The fact that they managed to both get a franchise QB and get someone to take a miss off their hands is a complete win for them.

Ok, but again it's not my quote.

I will stop short of calling Purdy a franchise qb. I didn't really see Garapolo as one either though. Purdy may well be the man. He was very impressive in his limited time. Again, it's too early for me to assume he's the answer.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Yes, I understand that about Hurts and Lance. However, do you think Hurts would've done as well for you if he'd started his rookie year, or did he need some time to develop? I think it's a similar situation here. I agree that Lance hasn't played a lot of football, but I think it'll help him in the sense that 1. He's got a simpler system than Shanahan and 2. He's under no pressure to start this year. All he's got to do is watch and learn this year.
It is not a simpler system than Shanahan’s… I don’t think it gets any simpler than his

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
There not going to spend a 4th rd pick for him to be the 3rd QB
Future investment. If he couldn’t pick up Shanahan’s offense better than Darnold in 2+ years, there’s no way he’s picking up Mccarthy’s offense better than Rush in 2+ weeks

MikeB80

Reaction score
Poopooing the trade is not working out well so going back to the well, eh?
Lance must have really pixxed someone off in SF. they had an offer from buffalo apparently and turned that down and sent him to a rival who he could end up helping them beat them....rivals usually do not make trades like this for players.

or they see him as hopeless.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
college - Lance redshirted his first season, but played in final 2 games, rushing for 2 scores.
He started his sophomore year. He played one game his junior year before the season was cancelled for COVID. Then he was drafted #3. He sat behind Garapolo one year, playing in the final two games. Last year, he won the starting job as they let Garapolo walk. He played two games before being injured, and Purdy took over.

That‘s his entire college and pro experience. He has this season and next season left on his rookie contract. Then he could have his 5th year option picked up. Three years from now he will still be only 26 years old. Let that sink in.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Yes, and Lance is coming from a WCO-style offense. The styles shouldn't be terribly difficult from what he's accustomed to running.
Have you seen
You have to question the mental capacity of anyone that doesn’t like this trade. It is a great trade for several reasons. He’s a former 1. He is cheap for 2 years. He is 23. He is a better comp to Dak. He cost a 4 and they will get that back with a compensatory pick for sure. He has upside. Dak’s contract. McCarthy’s success with QBs. He has no pressure on him. The Dallas turf for a mobile QB. It’s such a good trade.
Uh-huh. So the indisputable fact that Lance has been a bust to date shouldn't be cause for concern?

CWR

Reaction score
Dak is having a particularly rough camp. Even for him.

This feels like a message to Dak, and a prayer.

He'd better show against the Giants. He usually does well against them.

Dak had a really nice camp. Where are you getting this from?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't care what the Packers and Pats have done for years.

Jerry has owned this team for over 30 years and never done it once. He's not about to start now.

This is a wake up call to Dakky poo.
I'll take Steve Walsh for $1000, Alex or whoever the hell is the host now.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't often say this, but brilliant move by JJ.

It could be argued the Cowboys would likely draft a QB in the later rounds next year. Now they've acquired a 1st round talent for a 4th round pick.

This has the makings of an "all in" type move: ensuring a competent QB backup this year and potential starter thereafter.

Reactions: Ken