Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lance must have really pixxed someone off in SF. they had an offer from buffalo apparently and turned that down and sent him to a rival who he could end up helping them beat them....rivals usually do not make trades like this for players.

or they see him as hopeless.
From what I gather, the bidding started as a 6th and ended up as a 4th. We won the game of musical chairs.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
We got him for a possible Comp pick. Worth the roll of the dice...
if what has been posted on this site is what we are on the hook for ... which was about 6 million over 2 years... then I agree. Not a bad gamble, especially with Dak wanting to hold us hostage... AGAIN. If this costs us 20 million, im not for it. 6 million, im for it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Trust me.....he'll be number 2. Watch! If you think the Cowboys traded a 4th rd pick for him to be the 3rd QB....you're crazy and dont know football business
He is the 3rd QB.

So how quickly are you predicting Lance will be the #2 QB here in Dallas?

CWR

Reaction score
Poopooing the trade is not working out well so going back to the well, eh?

Have to dance with girl you brought.

Actually I'm gonna credit him for not being all about this deal, just to spite Dak.

Now it may be he hates Jerry more than Dak, but it appears he isn't as blinded with Dak hate as your average Dak sucks poster. Good for Risen.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The problem with Lance is he should be in college playing with Alabama. He was drafted as a 20 year old. He needs experience more than anything. With Dak as your quarterback I don’t see him getting lots of reps. I don’t care what anyone says, this has an effect on Dak. Lance is the most talented kid in the division at quarterback. He needs reps.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Even more missing the point. The difference between a 4th and 5th is not much
it really isn't unless dallas ends up with a 2015 or 2020 season, than that pick is huge.

if they make the playoffs its just a late rd 4....but the 4th rd is pretty active being the first round of the final day of the draft so teams really value those.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Steve Young
Yeah I was wondering about steve young...and knew he languished in Tampa...but thought he was a late 1st.

So....yeah.....1 guy....in the last , what 37 or 38 years or so? I know Favre started in atlanta....but he wasn't a Bust there, he just didn't take off there.

So....either Lance is the 2nd guy in 4 decades....or....he's like the other 100 or 150 guys who started off as a bust...and stayed a bust.

CWR

Reaction score
Trust me.....he'll be number 2. Watch! If you think the Cowboys traded a 4th rd pick for him to be the 3rd QB....you're crazy and dont know football business

Eventually sure, but I can't believe they plan on plugging him in right away. If that is the case he's further ahead than anyone would believe. Dude is a developmental prospect at his core rn.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
He is the 3rd QB.

So how quickly are you predicting Lance will be the #2 QB here in Dallas?
He's the 3rd QB right now of course. But once he gets the playbook...let's face it, he's more talented than Rush. Rush may know the playbook better of course. But Lance will be #2 in due time.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I don't often say this, but brilliant move by JJ.

It could be argued the Cowboys would likely draft a QB in the later rounds next year. Now they've acquired a 1st round talent for a 4th round pick.

This has the makings of an "all in" type move: ensuring a competent QB backup this year and potential starter thereafter.
Who is your ‘competent back up’ QB in this statement?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, Ryan Tannehill and Steve Young. Not comparing Lance to either of those guys but just answering your scenario question. I’m sure there are others if one wanted to do a little research.
Yeah I was wondering about younge...but didn't think about Tannehil. Granted ...Tannehil was a "bus driver" at his best...but if Lance turns into a bus driver that would be great.

I would think it's about 99.5 % bust historically.... 0.5 % resurrects career with team #2