Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He had a 97% pass a rating. It depends on the system.
That makes it hard to understand those calling him trash, other than the fact that most fans seem to just like to complain. It isn't like he was playing poorly his second year. Maybe not great but good enough to show his potential.

coogrfan

Reaction score
I don't often say this, but brilliant move by JJ.

It could be argued the Cowboys would likely draft a QB in the later rounds next year. Now they've acquired a 1st round talent for a 4th round pick.

This has the makings of an "all in" type move: ensuring a competent QB backup this year and potential starter thereafter.
The Niners gave up on Trey Lance after only two seasons. That alone should have been a huge red flag.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm more importantly a Cowboys fan. Why would anyone be nervous? Surely not for Lance. If anything, you Rush fans are nervous...as you should be
huh???? Rush was never going to be our starter, but I loved him as a 3 million dollar a year back up that went 4-1 last year. Cmon... 4 and freaking 1. We could not ask for more from the guy. Im ok with this if Lance is only due about 6 million from us. Im always a COWBOYS fan first. Players come and go, they have no loyalty to this team (Gregory), so I have no loyalty to them. It is all about what have you done for me lately. Lance will not be the backup this year, and Im ok with that. Im also ok with telling Dak to pound sound if he thinks hes worth 50 million per year, as I think no team in the league would give him that kind of money. (see J. taylor).

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
You don't understand the absolute lock of dead cap consequences for the Cowboys, were they to trade Dak or cut him. It ain't happening.

You can't "break" locked in guaranteed money and signing bonuses.
You can if the other team agrees to pay the Vig

MikeB80

Reaction score
reading through this thread every time I see the name lance I think of Jack Nicholson telling kim basinger
"Oh, Little song, little dance. Batman's head on a lance."

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
By the end of the season. Once he get's the playbook, he'll move into the #2 slot
BWAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Il take that bet. Only way Lance moves up to 2 is with injury this year. I dont think you have been paying attention to Lances career to date?

You do realize he was the #3 guy in SF right?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Awful?

PASSING Comp Att Pct Yds TD Int QBR
Trey Lance 12 18 66.7 173 1 1 104.1
did you watch the game??? Im guessing you did not. Living in norcal, I did. he was AWFUL. trust me...... they interviewed him after the game and basically said... hey, you sucked, what do you feel you need to improve on. He was pathetic, and thats why they moved him so fast.

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering about steve young...and knew he languished in Tampa...but thought he was a late 1st.

So....yeah.....1 guy....in the last , what 37 or 38 years or so? I know Favre started in atlanta....but he wasn't a Bust there, he just didn't take off there.

So....either Lance is the 2nd guy in 4 decades....or....he's like the other 100 or 150 guys who started off as a bust...and stayed a bust.

Off the top of my head I'd lump Drew Brees in there as well. I dont believe he was a bust in SanDeigo though, but they had know clue as to how good he would become. Top 5 is a lofty goal too. Dak isn't even often considered top 5. May be more realistic to think top 10. Only thing we know for sure is the niners reached hard. Which is funny when we get fans clamoring for going qb in rd1. There are a lot less Peyton Manning, Trevor Lawrence prospects then there are Trey Lance, Carson Wentz. I'm all about going qb early but the prospect has to be special, real special. Given Lance's talent a fourth is a good test drive imo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He's the 3rd QB right now of course. But once he gets the playbook...let's face it, he's more talented than Rush. Rush may know the playbook better of course. But Lance will be #2 in due time.
More talented? Raw talent maybe. But the guy simply cant play QB in the NFL at this point. If you have watched him you would know that.

A little too much wishfull thinking? Lance cant even read defenses at this point, doenst know the system or the players and is wildly inaccurate.

He is a long term project.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I wonder if they ship Rush out now
not a chance. Rush is staying... we need rush to win games if Dak goes down. lance is a throwing of the dice ling term (2 years) project. rush is READY NOW to play and win over a short time span. Lance is not.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Next season
Lets hope so. That all depends on how quickly he can develop. He has a long way to go. I believe Rush is signed through next year? If he can beat out Rush next season for #2, that would be great.