Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Because you're the only eagles poster who actually makes good points, and I don't hate, I'd say the same thing if yall traded for him.

Ironically most of the board who are actively crying would be jumping up and down talking about how smart and forward thinking yall are. Lol

It's a fourth, I have zero problem with taking a swing on talent. If McClay and MM think they can mold the kid, have at it. If it fails I'll just openly mock management. Don't see how I can lose.
I know many won’t believe it, but I’m speaking as objectively as I can with this. This was not a bad move by Dallas at all; it’s a day 3 pick, not the end of the world. Best case scenario for Dallas is Lance is the inactive QB all this year and no one gets injured to force him to suit up. Then next year he can compete to be Dak’s backup. If he wins it, you give him a small extension and go from there. If he doesn’t, you cut him and no one cares.

But compare it to previous top 10 busts of the last few years. Josh Rosen started games for Arizona and he was awful; you could argue Lance has a better reputation because while he didn’t play, he didn’t put as much dumpster water on tape as Rosen. Arizona still got a 2nd for Rosen. Sam Darnold played 3 years in NY and was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. He barely threw over 3000 yards one time, the others way less because of his horrid injury history and turnover issues. They still got and 2nd AND a 3rd for him. NYJ still value Zach Wilson more than the 9ers value Trey Lance. Think about that for a moment.

The fact that Lance was worth less than a day 3 pick to SF and not one GM outbid Dallas for him is one of the most shocking drops in valuation in NFL history. This is not a guy who is seen as a future starter by anyone.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It’s a simplistic view… That’s why it’s not a good view of the situation. Anyone saying this is not going to be a distraction is kidding themselves. Another team could possibly get away with it… But not the Cowboys.

Jerry knows this… He just loves the attention on his team
after the initial hub bub... how much of a distraction was Jordan Love in GB???? absolutely NONE.

GoldenR

Reaction score
DHB46HF.jpg
Priceless! And a select few will still say, but but......look at his stats and it's the team not the QB! And please don't look at the 49ers stats will be thrown in too.

Carson

Reaction score
guys calm down. It feels like they have a plan. No way they go into the draft with no 4th, 5th or 6th round pick this upcoming draft. Look for some players ro be on the move. Maybe DA
They have 5th and 6th comp picks

conner01

Reaction score
I guarantee he gets a deal like Jordan Love did last offseason. The Cowboys could pick up his 5th year option as well. He will get three years at least to prove himself.
He has some pitential for sure, he just hasn’t played much football due to injury. The one full college season he was fantastic. A 4th a year from now is a great price to see what he has or can be. Maybe even use him on some short yardage plays since he’s a physical beast

Jarntt

Reaction score
You don't understand the absolute lock of dead cap consequences for the Cowboys, were they to trade Dak or cut him. It ain't happening.

You can't "break" locked in guaranteed money and signing bonuses.
While I agree it isn’t happening, Thats a little misleading. I’m not suggesting what we should or shouldn’t do, but If Dak plays out his contract next year he has a 2024 cap hit of $59.5M and a 2025 dead cap hit of $36.5M. That’s a 2 year total of $96M. If we cut him next year as a post 6/1 cut it’s a 2024 cap hit of $30.5M and a dead cap hit in 2025 of $36.5M. that’s a 2 year total of $66.5M. If we cut him before the roster bonus is due I don’t think we can designate it as post 6/1 so it would just be a 2024 dead cap hit of $$61.9M. So while I’m not saying cut Dak, I’m saying it’s not cap crushing to do so and in fact a cap savings over keeping him.

if you are just referring to trading or cutting him this year, yeah because it’s two big dead year hits without him actually playing. His cap hit this year if we cut him today would stay at the current $26.8M and next year would be a dead cap hit of $61.9M. Still $29M in total cap less than keeping him because next years salary isn’t guaranteed. Now throw into the mix paying another starting QB unless you think that is Rush or Lance and it goes much higher.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't see the issue with this trade at all. If lance is better than expected, at a minimum he's our backup qb and he could end up putting some kind of pressure on Dak.

T-RO

Reaction score
When he gets the playbook, he'll be #2. He's definitely more talented than Rush...just raw skills. I see it happening. MY OPINION...they weren't confident in Rush or Grier. You don't trade a 4th for a 3rd QB. I just don't see it.
You are confusing:
-current ability
with
-ceiling

Lance has nearly zero immediate worth right now. Word from SF is that Lance wouldn't have even been 4th in the depth chart. The guy is a pricey lottery ticket. It's about his ceiling, his raw potential...what he might become.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The only reason he had a decent passer rating is because his opponents kept dropping interceptions. Go back and watch and you will see. In fact, his only touchdown should also have been an interception… The defender dropped it, and it fell into the hands of an unintended receiver on his team in the end zone
I don't know. There's some good stuff on this video. Yes, I know it's a highlight video, but there are some impressive throws there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a simplistic view… That’s why it’s not a good view of the situation. Anyone saying this is not going to be a distraction is kidding themselves. Another team could possibly get away with it… But not the Cowboys.

Jerry knows this… He just loves the attention on his team
Distraction? I've been following football for over 55 years and I've never heard of a 3rd string QB being a distraction ever.

mcmvp

Reaction score
after the initial hub bub... how much of a distraction was Jordan Love in GB???? absolutely NONE.
Dak is not Aaron Rodgers. Rogers was not in a position where half of his fanbase wanted a change. Rogers was not coming off of a season where he led the NFL in interceptions

I don’t remember any distractions at all… Other than the media basically saying the Packers wasted the pick by not getting him another weapon

Do you really think that’s going to be the narrative with this situation? I highly doubt it.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You think the Cowboys are going to outbid Buffalo and give up a 4th to a QB that can't get the playbook? Make it make sense. Our scouting department is lights out yet you think they'll give up a 4th for a QB that can't get a playbook? lmao. Ok
You said “get it” more than Rush to beat him out by the end of the season. That is what I’m disputing

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I believe he signed for 2 years 5 million. 625,000 dead cap if released next season

Oh did he? I thought it was only a 1 year deal. Either way, I think Lance probably elevates either sometime this year or next year to the 2nd spot.