Reaction score
UnoDallas;4042202 said:
good one more team for Arkansas to pound

I don't see it

Ark had the balls to move from SWC to SEC

while Texas and AM ran to the Big 12

UT knowing they should be in the title game every year
Uno laying the wood. lol

I do recall that Arkansas has been in the SEC for 19 years now and still has not won the SEC title.
It is a great conference though.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Biggems;4049661 said:
not only that....but they also leave the Big 12 for a conference with low academic standards, except for Vanderbilt...

a monkey could get a Ph.D at an SEC school.

i guess now the Aggie War Hymn and Texas Fight will be a farewell instead of a I just kicked ur butt now go home and wait till next year.....

Goodbye to Texas University...so long to the orange and white

And its goodbye to A&M
Harsh!:laugh2: There is truth that A&M would raise the SEC's overall academic average (they would be 4th highest there)
I've heard that before...and was curious...compared to what conference?
Vs the ACC or Big 10..yes.
Certainly not vs. the Big 12.

I saw ranking of the six BCS conferences a few years ago,
it went something like this:
ACC (for example: Duke, UVa, UNC, Wake Forest, and even Ga Tech all rank higher than any Big 12 school)
Big Ten
Pac Ten
SEC/Big 12/ Big East all about equal

If you ranked SEC/Big 12 schools by overall academics (based on US News World report 2011)
you get:

Vanderbilt (top 20 overall..including private and ivys)
Texas (routinely ranked in the top 6-7 state schools nationally)
Florida
Georgia
Texas A&M
Baylor
Alabama
Auburn
Missouri
Kansas
Tennessee
Oklahoma
South Carolina
LSU
Kentucky
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Miss St
Texas Tech

look pretty equal to me
I do realis ethat these ratings change yearly, but over the past 20 years they have been fairly consistant give or take a few slots.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

xout

Believer
Reaction score
My take on today's events:

SEC formally not inviting A&M today (on a Sunday...) is basically SEC covering SEC and A&M's butts.

A&M will meet tomorrow, decide to leave the Big 12 officially and announce they will be exploring various conference possibilities. They will do the political dance on Tuesday and explain their reasons for seeking more revenue and their concerns for the instability of the Big 12 - and then they will formally apply to various conferences, SEC included.

SEC will meet again, and formally invite A&M.

All of this is just due process to avoid lawsuits and appearance of collusion on A&M and the SEC's part.

A&M will be in the SEC in 2012 or 2013.

MC KAos

Reaction score
xout;4049966 said:

SEC formally not inviting A&M today (on a Sunday...) is basically SEC covering SEC and A&M's butts.

A&M will meet tomorrow, decide to leave the Big 12 officially and announce they will be exploring various conference possibilities. They will do the political dance on Tuesday and explain their reasons for seeking more revenue and their concerns for the instability of the Big 12 - and then they will formally apply to various conferences, SEC included.

All of this is just due process to avoid lawsuits and appearance of collusion on A&M and the SEC's part.

i think you are probably right

MC KAos

Reaction score
BigWillie;4049898 said:
:laugh2:

So glad you realize that Nebraska was your wealthy girlfriend while Texas was the stage-5 clinger. :D

nah, we have many ladies, we just like the corn tortillas you guys make!

coogrfan

Reaction score
xout;4049966 said:

As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast, my friend."

http://outkickthecoverage.com/how-espn-is-complicating-am-to-sec-deal.php

How ESPN Is Complicating Texas A&M to SEC Deal

Published on: August 14, 2011 | Written by: Clay Travis

OKTC has learned that one of the major points of discussion at today's SEC president's meeting was the potential contractual fallout of A&M's addition to the SEC. In particular the conflicting positions of ESPN in regards to its Big 12 television deal and its existing SEC television deal. That is, ESPN has conflicting good faith obligations to both conferences. Why are these obligations conflicting? Because OKTC has heard from multiple sources that the television deals between the Big 12 and ESPN is void as soon as the membership falls below ten.

So if Texas A&M bolts for the SEC then the Big 12's TV deal with ESPN doesn't exist anymore. (FYI, Fox is presently paying $90 million a year to the Big 12 while ESPN is paying $65 million a year. But, and this a key distinction, Fox has no conflict here since it doesn't carry SEC games.)

Okay, wrap your minds around that. That's a major revelation and would explain why the Big 12 is working so hard to find a new member.

Now add this complexity that has the SEC worried -- the addition of A&M to the SEC would require ESPN to pay more money for television rights fees under the SEC's existing contract with ESPN. So what you've got is a situation where you could argue ESPN is inducing A&M to bolt the Big 12 in favor of the SEC. The big problem here? That's a major contractual conflict for ESPN, since part of the reason A&M would be leaving would be the inducement of more money from the SEC, money that would be coming from ESPN.

Yep, ESPN's television deals have so monopolized college athletics that its a major road bump in any conference realignment.

So the SEC is now worried that it could end up in a large lawsuit featuring the Big 12, the SEC, and ESPN over A&M's departure. (Keep in mind that Fox also has a major interest here. Will Fox continue its commitment to the Big 12 with only nine members? No idea. It was Fox and ESPN's stepping up to the plate with the same television payouts when Nebraska and Colorado left that kept the Big 12 -- now ten -- together.)

OKTC hasn't read the entirety of the Big 12's agreements with ESPN, but every contract has a boilerplate "good faith" provision that obligates a party to act in the best interests of its partners. Would it be in good faith for ESPN to be negotiating with the SEC about increased payouts to a current Big 12 member that would lead to an invalidation of the Big 12 contract when that member leaps? Of course not.

So ESPN is in an awful position, it may well have to pledge that its going to keep its payments to the Big 12 members the same regardless of membership numbers in order to avoid a breach of contract lawsuit for inducing a member to leave the conference and kill the Fox and ESPN deals.

Ouch.

How is all of this going to play out?

Let's review the SEC's official statement today which was just released minutes ago as I was writing about the ESPN contractual complication:
“The SEC Presidents and Chancellors met today and reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment. We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M.”

This statement is a clear attempt by the SEC to avoid arguments that it induced A&M to leave. That is, legally the SEC needs A&M to leave the Big 12 before it can bring A&M into the conference. And in the meantime, ESPN needs to figure out a way to not violate its fiduciary duties to the Big 12 by inducing A&M to leave for the SEC. At the same time ESPN needs to formulate an idea of what the addition of a team to the SEC would do for future payouts under its existing contracts with the SEC.

Is your head spinning yet?

It's about to spin some more. Keep in mind that ESPN also instigated this whole mess with the Longhorn Network. Some at Texas A&M want to argue that ESPN's decision to start a network with Texas violated the fiduciary duty to the Big 12 members -- namely ending the Big 12's ability to form an existing network by contracting with Texas alone -- rendering the Big 12 contract with A&M breached. So A&M would have the right to do what it pleases under this interpretation of the deal. No lawsuit would be viable because there would be no contract to sue A&M under. Except, you guessed it, there are two network contracts, one with Fox and the other with ESPN. Fox has not undertaken any actions that would breach the existing contracts so it could still have a cause of action against A&M regardless.

As these legal issues work themselves out the SEC is doing its best to avoid being sued. Today's meeting was designed to discuss all the particulars of expansion without actually conveying an offer to A&M. Remember that since Friday I've been telling y'all something important that has been missed by most media -- A&M approached the SEC first. That's important because it eliminates many of the arguments against the SEC inducing A&M to leave.

So where are we headed now?

Texas A&M meets on Monday. Expect for A&M to give its president the authority to negotiate with other conferences at that meeting. Come Tuesday A&M is scheduled to appear before a committee in the Texas house. The SEC athletic directors meet in Orlando on Wednesday of this week. All of these meetings will go a long way towards helping to resolve the current legal complexities that are holding up this deal.

But ESPN still has to resolve its conflicts. So how does ESPN rectify what is a clear conflict of interest?

ESPN needs to notify the Big 12 of its intention to keep its payments to the conference the same regardless of membership numbers. ESPN may well need to provide this notice in writing to the Big 12. Then ESPN can negotiate with the SEC about what the addition of A&M might mean for the television rights fees owed to that conference. The SEC needs this information about increased rights fees before its presidents can vote on admitting anyone else.

Then A&M can officially explore conference alternatives without ESPN having to worry about breaching its contractual obligations to the Big 12.

Did I confuse you too much? I hope not. If I did, blame ESPN not me, it's the one with the incredibly complicated legal obligations that are currently forestalling SEC expansion.

coogrfan

Reaction score
One other note (it's from Doug Gottlieb, so take it with a grain of salt)

@GottliebShow
UF,UGA and USC formed an alliance, while other schools threatened litigation as well (Tech), TAMU sources stunned by not getting an invite

@GottliebShow
UGA blocks GT,UF blocks FSU,USC blocks Clemson; Mizzou wants B10 if they leave B12

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
DFWJC;4049959 said:
Harsh!:laugh2: There is truth that A&M would raise the
If you ranked SEC/Big 12 schools by overall academics (based on US News World report 2011)
you get:

Rice
Vanderbilt (top 20 overall..including private and ivys)
Texas (routinely ranked in the top 6-7 state schools nationally)
Florida
SMU
Georgia
Texas A&M
Baylor
Alabama
Auburn
Colorado
Missouri
TCU
Kansas
Nebraska
Tennessee
Oklahoma
South Carolina
LSU
Kentucky
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Miss St
Texas Tech
Houston

Put Rice above Vandy, SMU between Florida and Georgia and it gives you 5 of the top 8 from the old SWC. TCU is after Missouri and Houston is at the very bottom.

Also, if you include Colorado and Nebraska, which should be included since this list is from the past several years.....Colorado after Auburn and Nebraska is after Kansas

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;4049938 said:
Uno laying the wood. lol

I do recall that Arkansas has been in the SEC for 19 years now and still has not won the SEC title.
It is a great conference though.

Championships

Arkansas has made 3 appearances in the SEC Championship Game as winner of the SEC Western Division but are 0-3 in those appearances.[42] Arkansas was also the SEC Western Division co-champions in 1998 with Mississippi State but did not represent the SEC Western Division in the SEC Championship Game. In 2002 Alabama had the best conference record in the west with a 6-2 mark, but had been prohibited by the NCAA from participating in post season activity. Arkansas played in the SEC Championship game via being the winner of a three-way tie with Auburn and LSU, both of whom Arkansas had beaten that season.

at least the made there

and look at who was coaching them

Houston Nutt - run the ball and don't throw it1998–2007

Bobby Petrino will put them there

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
MC KAos;4048880 said:
as a texas fan, i was saddened to see an automatic W move to the big ten

Right, and who didn't even go to a bowl game last year?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Rynie;4050351 said:
Right, and who didn't even go to a bowl game last year?

what does this retort have to do with the fact that Nebraska has been Texas' whipping post since the Big 12 was formed. Sure many of the games were close, but look at the overall record. I did it a few years ago and was astonished to see how one sided it was. I knew Texas had won a lot in the series, but I didn't know exactly how dominant they were until I saw it. I believe they ended up 9-1 or 9-2 against the Huskers.....that is ownership.

Conversely, KSU has the Horns number. I don't know what it is, but the Horns cannot seem to beat KSU. In fact, they seem to get wiped off the field completely in those games.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Biggems;4050057 said:
Put Rice above Vandy, SMU between Florida and Georgia and it gives you 5 of the top 8 from the old SWC. TCU is after Missouri and Houston is at the very bottom.

Also, if you include Colorado and Nebraska, which should be included since this list is from the past several years.....Colorado after Auburn and Nebraska is after Kansas
Looks like you have the order pretty much right.

However, I thought we were comparing the current conference that A&M would be leaving (current Big 12) vs the one they would be joining (current SEC)?

Anyway, it looks like you have those other schools from Conference USA, the Pac 12, and Big 10 sloted correctly. :D

BTW, Vandy and Rice tied but Rice was ahead due to alphabetical order. Rice was never in the Big 12 though.

Temo

Reaction score
http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec4.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec5.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec6.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec7.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec8a.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec98.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec10.jpg

VIA

DFWJC

Reaction score
Biggems;4050407 said:
what does this retort have to do with the fact that Nebraska has been Texas' whipping post since the Big 12 was formed. Sure many of the games were close, but look at the overall record. I did it a few years ago and was astonished to see how one sided it was. I knew Texas had won a lot in the series, but I didn't know exactly how dominant they were until I saw it. I believe they ended up 9-1 or 9-2 against the Huskers.....that is ownership.

Conversely, KSU has the Horns number. I don't know what it is, but the Horns cannot seem to beat KSU. In fact, they seem to get wiped off the field completely in those games.
Texas really missed a golden opportunity that one year that the beat KSU by about 60+ points but then someohow lost to them in the Big 12 Championship game. That was an awesome UT team that could have played in the BCS title game.

No doubt, KSU has caused them trouble.

On an unrelated side note....Colt McCoy sure look great in his 1st preseason game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DFWJC;4050538 said:
Texas really missed a golden opportunity that one year that the beat KSU by about 60+ points but then someohow lost to them in the Big 12 Championship game. That was an awesome UT team that could have played in the BCS title game.

On an unrelated side note....Colt McCoy sure look great in his 1st preseason game.

Yes he did. WCO looks to be the perfect fit for Colt

MC KAos

Reaction score
Temo;4050535 said:
http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec4.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec5.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec6.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec7.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec8a.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec98.jpg

http://i15.***BLOCKED***/albums/a380/thujone/sec10.jpg

VIA

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4050538 said:

there was also the year we lost to colorado in the big 12 championship game and we would have been in the national championship game. That was all on Mack for not starting major applewhite, instead starting that disgrace chris simms

Nomad

Reaction score
This is probably also going to hurt Jerry Jones and the DFW metroplex, with Cowboys Stadium being host of the Big12 Championship game, the cotton bowl game which is tied to the Big12, and the Southwest Classic between Arkansas and A&M which is there every year.

It will probably goof up each one of those.

DFWJC

Reaction score
MC KAos;4050745 said:
there was also the year we lost to colorado in the big 12 championship game and we would have been in the national championship game. That was all on Mack for not starting major applewhite, instead starting that disgrace chris simms
Yeah, Mack pretty much admitted it later...and said he learned from it.
Supposedly, Simms looked WAY better in practice every day with a stronger arm and more accuracy. But, as we all knew, Applewhite was a gamer and a true leader.
Brown used what he learned from that to seperate Colt McCoy from a very talented Jevon Sneed . McCoy was the superior leader with the crazy work ethic who continued to grow...still is, actually.