CFZ A Dose of Reality

shabazz

Reaction score
A Cowboys QB will never truly be successful until he wins a super bowl. It's what separates the Aikmans and Staubachs from the Whites and Romos.

yup, the bar is set here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well done T-RO.

I am of the opinion that both Romo And Dak could have been in Troy's shoes and won the same amount of Super Bowls. A lot of fans don't agree, but I've felt that way for awhile now. No disrespect to Troy, but those teams were loaded. With Tony's extending plays and Dak's ability to run, they may have won more.

Just my opinion with obviously no facts to back it up.
While Troy was surrounded with a stronger supporting cast he had some of his best performances on the biggest stages.

Those championship caliber teams didn’t win despite Aikman. He was an integral part with his rocket arm, pinpoint passing and leadership.

He was an overall 1st round pick who lived up to his potential.

In all fairness Romo or Dak haven’t had those caliber of teams. But they also didn’t come with that level of raw talent Troy had.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Well done T-RO.

I am of the opinion that both Romo And Dak could have been in Troy's shoes and won the same amount of Super Bowls. A lot of fans don't agree, but I've felt that way for awhile now. No disrespect to Troy, but those teams were loaded. With Tony's extending plays and Dak's ability to run, they may have won more.

Disagree. Troy played clutch in those first two roads to the Super Bowl. Everyone remembers the 1994 NFC Game disaster, but those 49ers were freaking tough in 92 and 93 also! Think Eagles last night times three. And then of course he had the perfect game in his first ever Super Bowl. A guy famously known for not showing emotion or grandstanding on the field and he was the first one to show that famous swagger - with the #1 finger pointing up. I on’t see Romo or Dak getting through that every time with their proven inconsistency. These are QBs that can rarely even get out of the first round! Nevermind being clutch all the way to the Super Bowl.

‘Romo has to live with it, but Dak can still shape his legacy. Even Peyton Manning and John Elway we’re labeled chokers until they won the big one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
yup, the bar is set here.
And not sure that’s a fair bar.

I’d put Meredith up there with Aikman and Staubach. Tough to blame him for losing in consecutive NFL titles to arguably the greatest team the NFL has ever seen.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
You can say a lot of things about Prescott, but one thing that is hard to ignore is his record against NFC East teams.

In his career, Prescott is 27-6 against the NFC East during the regular season including being 18-1 in his last 19 games against them.

Unfortunately, that means little in the playoffs because the Cowboys keep finding ways to disappoint everyone when the playoffs start.

The fact that his record has been that impressive against NFC East teams combined with hardly any playoff success is why some fans are not fans of Prescott.

I know it feels good feeling some sort of vindication against the Dak haters when the Cowboys and Prescott win games like the one today, but it is what we have come to expect during the regular season.

I want badly for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl and it would be great to see Dak Prescott lead the team to winning one, but until he and the Cowboys break the the pattern of post-season failures nothing has changed.

Like most Cowboys fans, the negativity wears on me like it wears on everyone else, but so does the frustration of the same failures occurring year after year.

Maybe this year will be THE year or maybe it will be yet another great regular season that ends quickly in the post-season like we have endured for 27 years with a variety of quarterbacks including Romo and Prescott.

Dak is a great guy and the kind of guy you want to be your quarterback and lead your team.

What he is not yet is a real "winner". Winners win championships, not divisions or wildcards as those just the things that get you into the real games.

I would love for Prescott and the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl this season, but until that happens some fans are not going to be happy and it's hard to blame them .. especially when I am one of them.
:hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFC East for most of Prescotts career has been down which probably has ballooned his record within the division.

Not this year of course but I bet if we compiled our divisional opponents records since 2016 it might be below .500. Would be interesting to see .

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Sorry I cannot agree with this. There are many great players who never won a championship because they landed on the wrong team. This aint basketball. One guy can only do so much.. A QB is standing on the sidelines for 2/3 of the game so this insistence on putting it all on him is misguided at best. I know it's easy to say "___ QB has ___ record" but it is ALWAYS about the team.. Always has been.. always will be. Yes the QB is in position to influence the game the most of any single player.. But again.. he's standing on the sidelines for 2/3 of the game and there are 47 other players suited up for the game. We really need to move away from that whole QB record thing. I know it will never happen.. but it needs to.
I am with you on this. Its a team game. For some reason the QB is the only player saddled with wins/losses. There have been plenty of great QBs who never played in a Super Bowl even. That doesn't make them less great. Marino never won one, he wasn't great because of that, lol? Every year only one team wins it all. And look at all the QBs who are nowhere near great who have won the Super Bowl - Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, etc anyone, lol.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well done T-RO.

You may be right, but neither Romo or Dak could have run that system.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The defense gave
That's always the perception, and I get it, but a QB can only control what's in his hands.

If the defense gets trucked for 273 rushing yards, gives up 30+ points, that's not on him.

Fun fact, the Cowboys have never won a playoff game when the opponent scored 30+ points. That includes Aikman and Staubach. It's a team game.
The defense only gave up 27 points yesterday.

Scotman

Reaction score
I am one of those that just wants a Superbowl. If Dak could play lights out in every game until the playoffs, and then we go one-and-done, I won't be satisfied. I won't hate him or anyone else. But it really is all about winning in the post season. Having a great regular season can propel you to wins in the post season. But it's the post season that matters. And, for better or worse, the QB is often the face of the franchise.

There are a lot of people on here that seemingly relish when Dak doesn't play well. That will never be me. That said, Dak (and others) didn't do anything in the playoffs last year to shut them up. I would prefer that there wasn't so much animosity built up against one player. But, I need some post season success to point to as evidence that they are wrong. I haven't had that in a very, very long time.

If we are watching from the couch again in January, that just sucks.

Brax

Reaction score
You can say a lot of things about Prescott, but one thing that is hard to ignore is his record against NFC East teams.

In his career, Prescott is 27-6 against the NFC East during the regular season including being 18-1 in his last 19 games against them.

Unfortunately, that means little in the playoffs because the Cowboys keep finding ways to disappoint everyone when the playoffs start.

The fact that his record has been that impressive against NFC East teams combined with hardly any playoff success is why some fans are not fans of Prescott.

I know it feels good feeling some sort of vindication against the Dak haters when the Cowboys and Prescott win games like the one today, but it is what we have come to expect during the regular season.

I want badly for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl and it would be great to see Dak Prescott lead the team to winning one, but until he and the Cowboys break the the pattern of post-season failures nothing has changed.

Like most Cowboys fans, the negativity wears on me like it wears on everyone else, but so does the frustration of the same failures occurring year after year.

Maybe this year will be THE year or maybe it will be yet another great regular season that ends quickly in the post-season like we have endured for 27 years with a variety of quarterbacks including Romo and Prescott.

Dak is a great guy and the kind of guy you want to be your quarterback and lead your team.

What he is not yet is a real "winner". Winners win championships, not divisions or wildcards as those just the things that get you into the real games.

I would love for Prescott and the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl this season, but until that happens some fans are not going to be happy and it's hard to blame them .. especially when I am one of them.
I believe the negativity comes from a dislike of Jerry and sons, there’s not much to complain about to this point in the season but I always wait till it’s finished, I like most have seen this act a few times, and if it’s the same result the homers will spin and the realists will shake their heads and Jerry will pontificate on what a great team he assembled that under achieved.
Merry Christmas to you and everyone on the zone and a safe and happy new year.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you consider Meredith a greater Cowboys QB than White? He is only other QB in Cowboys Ring of Honor besides Staubach and Aikman?
Didn't say I wouldn't consider it, just that I'd still go with White. I think the level of competition was higher when White was playing. He had a tough job following up Staubach, plus led the team to three straight NFC Championship games.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I believe the negativity comes from a dislike of Jerry and sons, there’s not much to complain about to this point in the season but I always wait till it’s finished, I like most have seen this act a few times, and if it’s the same result the homers will spin and the realists will shake their heads and Jerry will pontificate on what a great team he assembled that under achieved.
Merry Christmas to you and everyone on the zone and a safe and happy new year.

I think it just comes from 30 years of playoff failure from a team that is known for dominating so many decades. It’s not a personal dislike for Jerry and family, it’s the fact that on all the other teams, this type of failure always results in a new GM. You want to control the whole operation, that’s fine, it’s your team, but at least win some Playoff games! And I also think the fuse is short for Cowboys fans because we just patiently went through the Romo era. We’re not going to wait around for another decade plus to see another QB never get us there. By the time Romo finally ‘got it,’ his body couldn’t handle it, and the same thing is going to happen to Dak. At that time, we were just grateful that the team finally found someone half decent who could replace Aikman, but now we want more, we want that damn Super Bowl again!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
A Cowboys QB will never truly be successful until he wins a super bowl. It's what separates the Aikmans and Staubachs from the Whites and Romos.

White got ripped off in '81. Refs missed the blatant PI on Doug Cosbie in the endzone by Eric Wright on third down. We kick a field goal when we should have had a fresh set of downs on the 1. Four points were stolen from us right there; then we end up losing the game by 1.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess playing under soon to be first-ballot hall-of-fame Andy Reid, and alongside future Hall-of-famers Kelce and Tyreek Hill had absolutely nothing to do with Mahomes one super bowl ring.
Andy Reid??? the guy that coached for 750 years and never won a title until Mahomes got him one? Reid, the guy that did just like billy Boy and as soon as McNab went away Reid sucked and got fired? Reid the guy that was with the Chiefs and was irrelevant until Mahomes took over? Mahomes who everyon was saying... "Lets ee how he does when Tyreke is gone<" and Mahomes is either 1st or 2nd in MVP this year? Mahomes, the guy that has taken the Chiefs to 4 straight AFC title games and 2 SB appearances in 4 years as a starter?

Coaches are all the same. Hey, Tomlin and Billy Boy are GREAT, right? Both coach 2 crappy teams right now.

offlimits

Reaction score

...and for this to occur they must win on the road.

offlimits

Reaction score

Agree. It may be unfair but it's reality... as a Dallas Cowboys QB.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Sorry I cannot agree with this. There are many great players who never won a championship because they landed on the wrong team. This aint basketball. One guy can only do so much.. A QB is standing on the sidelines for 2/3 of the game so this insistence on putting it all on him is misguided at best. I know it's easy to say "___ QB has ___ record" but it is ALWAYS about the team.. Always has been.. always will be. Yes the QB is in position to influence the game the most of any single player.. But again.. he's standing on the sidelines for 2/3 of the game and there are 47 other players suited up for the game. We really need to move away from that whole QB record thing. I know it will never happen.. but it needs to.

Well said.

Just like it wasn't Dak who lost the 9ers game. Anyone who thinks that has their heads somewhere it shouldn't be.

TWOK11

Reaction score
It’s not hard to understand why constant negativity has really started to ruin this board over the last couple of years.