A reminder that Dak can play QB

JustChip

Reaction score
He has hit on some throws here and there that he cannot hit on a regular basis....but being able to do it every once in a while doesn't mean you'll ever do it consistently. And as far as reading defenses goes, he didn't improve there. Your example is nice but he was tied for the league lead in pick sixes this past season and overall his Ints more than doubled. And as much as everyone else would like to, I'm not going to attribute those mistakes to the wide receivers on this team in order to save face for Dak.

And I'm not going to blame the WRs solely either, but they do bear some of the fault just as Dak does. Dak was off this year from the start and it really snow-balled beginning with the Atlanta game. Just an opinion, but I think there's a difference between coming in cold and just reacting, and having an off-season to think. I normally hit better shots, certainly putt better, when I let my instincts rule instead of my brain. That may be what happened with Dak - remember, he's still a "project", or was intended to be. He was NEVER intended to be the starter in year 1 or, for that matter, year 2.

condoin125

Reaction score
Everybody you just listed, along with every poster on this board have either the same or more qualifications that you do when it comes to “analyzing this sport”.

Also, the comments about the offense weren’t the opinion, the comments about Dak showing no starting quarterback skills was the opinion.

Again, of course the offense was friendly to a young QB. All rookie QB’s need the offense to be tailored to them. Everybody knows that. You aren’t enlightening anybody.
Qualifications? Absolutely. Ability? Definitely not. I'm not trying to promote myself as an NFL level scout by any means...but some things should be obvious. And I only listed the example about the offense being kid friendly to make a point that your comment about my post being all opinion was hyperbolic.

I understand I'm not enlightening anyone but please enlighten me: what skills are you saying he has shown that will translate? What are you seeing with Dak that is worth waiting for? We know he doesn't excel with the deep pass or with accuracy overall; he's not some fantastic reader of defenses; he runs well from the QB spot but that's hardly unique these days; he doesn't elevate those around him according to what we saw this past season; in his rookie year people praised the way he protected the ball but that's completely out the window after this past season with 13 Ints and 4 fumbles. What is it? That he's 22-10 through his first two seasons? He's not, that's a team stat, not a QB stat. It seems that those willing to wait on him are giving him the majority of the credit for it though and that's what they believe is worth waiting on. Your username was made after him....I'd say it's clear that you have more of an agenda here than I do. I just want my team to win and be set for the future in order to regularly contend.

HungryLion

Reaction score
And your username was made after this past season was over. So what’s your point? The reason my username is Dak-centric is because I just came to this board this past fall. I used to post on another message board- the scout message board for about 15 years. But that board is a pile of rubble at this point practically.

Maybe going with a Dak-centric username will come back to haunt me, if he does indeed fail. That remains to be seen.

I think some people around here have a short memory about Dak and the good things he has done and shown. I guess it’s understandable because he sucked the last half of this season. But, the first season and a half had a lot of very good things happen with Dak, that shouldn’t be ignored either.

All this talk about Dak’s accuracy. Dak completed 67.8% of his passes as a rookie with a very solid YPA average. Quarterbacks don’t do that over the course of a season, without having the ability to be very accurate for extended periods of time. Is consistency an issue? Sure it is. I have said as much many times on this board. I have been watching Dak’s footwork since his first game. I pay attention to it. When his footwork gets sloppy, his accuracy struggles. And when his footwork isn’t sloppy, he is very accurate. He has made a lot of very tough throws into very tight windows during his first two seasons. The ability is there. It’s the consistency he needs.

Dak has showcased natural leadership ability. His teammates love him. He has good communication skills with his teammates. Dak also doesn’t panic during games and has shown an ability to play well when the pressure is on. Again, opinion. But I think he carries himself well during those situations and has.

He has led quite a few game winning or game tying drives late in the 4th quarter. When the game is on the line he showed the ability to play well when needed most. He did that well for a young QB. A lot of Young QB’s get picked off or fumble when trying to lead a last minute drive the team needs. But Dak handled them very well overall his first season and a half.

The biggest game of his career, a playoff game, he played exceptional. Now, we all know that the packers defense stunk. No argument there. However, you could tell the game wasn’t too big for him. Look at the history of rookie QB’s starting in the playoffs. Even the best rookie quarterbacks have historically struggled bad in the playoffs, when the spotlight is shining bright. Dak didn’t, he played very very well and was a big part in the cowboys comeback that day. It certainly wasn’t anybody on the offenses fault the cowboys lost that game.

Also, he has shown an ability to read defenses and call audibles. He isn’t at a veteran level yet. Like we were used to with Romo. But for a rookie/ second year player. He is good at it. Many times I have seen him audible and change a route which led to a big play. This year against the giants and last year against the lions to Brice butler for a TD are the two that immediately come to mind, but there are more.

So, I am not sure that Dak will be THE guy for the cowboys. He still has to improve the consistency of his mechanics, most notably his footwork. His footwork in particular gets sloppy under pressure. This is problematic and he willl need to improve it to have sustained success.

But I also think that he has enough physical ability, plus the leadership, work ethic, intellect, and calmness under pressure to be a quality starting QB. He has made some amazing plays that showcase that physical ability.

So I am not ready to throw the towel in on him yet.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Griffin absolutely failed because of a lack of talent. You were fooled. I wasn't. The garbage gimmick offense he needed to run to account for his lack of skills had a short shelf life. It wasn't sustainable.

I see by your name you've learned nothing from it.

Short story,

On the previous message board I used to post on. I argued vehemently with other posters that the cowboys should draft Wentz because Romo couldn’t be trusted to stay healthy anymore. Against people who kept saying Romo had plenty of time left and they needed talent to “win now” etc

If another opportunity presents itself to get a QB I am not against it. But I don’t think Dak is done developing yet and still think he can be a good one.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak was way above average in 2016 and before Zeke's suspension last year. So he was only average for about half a season (in 2 years).

Wrong. Dak's stats are misleading. Just because he was good enough behind 3 pro bowl lineman, 1 should have been top 10 pick and a solid player in free, then had zeke's rushing leading year as support is what made him look good. He didnt have to force alot of passes down field. Defensive backs played defense against the air coryell system we used in 2016 but in 2017 they changed a bit to defend the easier routes that dak likes to use and he became average at best. Going forward tems will continue to defend what dak likes and not just play against the system untill he becomes a complete passer this will limit his ability greatly. Even then we are still good enough to win games with this ground game as long as he doesnt have too many turnoves, int's etc. He is an average qb with limited passing ability but hopefully he gets better...my team needs him to.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wrong. Dak's stats are misleading. Just because he was good enough behind 3 pro bowl lineman, 1 should have been top 10 pick and a solid player in free, then had zeke's rushing leading year as support is what made him look good. He didnt have to force alot of passes down field. Defensive backs played defense against the air coryell system we used in 2016 but in 2017 they changed a bit to defend the easier routes that dak likes to use and he became average at best. Going forward tems will continue to defend what dak likes and not just play against the system untill he becomes a complete passer this will limit his ability greatly. Even then we are still good enough to win games with this ground game as long as he doesnt have too many turnoves, int's etc. He is an average qb with limited passing ability but hopefully he gets better...my team needs him to.

He may have limited passing ability but he's still above average at the position.

Again.. Average is Blake Bortles. He's way better then Blake Bortles.

He's play a lot more good games then he has bad games.

Dak can run a bad offensive scheme at a high level. Especially when Zeke is going. We were a machine in 2016 and at points this year Dak was playing at a elite level.

If we want to hit our guys out wide more then we need an offensive scheme that doesn't pigeon hole our WR's.

Dak is not a good come from behind QB. He's not going to win a lot of games if he gets in a QB duel but so many of these "top QB's" like Big Ben and Russell Wilson have relied on a strong run game and a incredible defense. Dak can play at their level in that situation.

Is he Rodgers? No

Brady? No

He's not that level of passer but few guys are.

Someone like Derek Carr who has the talent still can't manage to get results like Dak.

Winston? He's got a lot of talent but he can't play at Daks level.

Kirk Cousins? Would you take Cousins over Dak? Has Cousins ever beat Dak?

I just don't get the Dak hate.

Atlanta our coaches blew it.

Denver our defense put him in a situation that he isn't ready for.

He's still a 24 year old QB and who is off to one of the best starts in NFL history at his position.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Watson played how many games, yet anointed!!!

There is a grass is always green on the other side syndrome on this forum.

We don't see a player flaws enough to know if he is better or not then the guy we have.

Watson has played a small sample of games and he's already better then Dak.

I'm guessing a lot of these same people would've traded Romo for RG3 too.

condoin125

Reaction score
And your username was made after this past season was over. So what’s your p
And your username was made after this past season was over. So what’s your point? The reason my username is Dak-centric is because I just came to this board this past fall. I used to post on another message board- the scout message board for about 15 years. But that board is a pile of rubble at this point practically.

Maybe going with a Dak-centric username will come back to haunt me, if he does indeed fail. That remains to be seen.

I think some people around here have a short memory about Dak and the good things he has done and shown. I guess it’s understandable because he sucked the last half of this season. But, the first season and a half had a lot of very good things happen with Dak, that shouldn’t be ignored either.

All this talk about Dak’s accuracy. Dak completed 67.8% of his passes as a rookie with a very solid YPA average. Quarterbacks don’t do that over the course of a season, without having the ability to be very accurate for extended periods of time. Is consistency an issue? Sure it is. I have said as much many times on this board. I have been watching Dak’s footwork since his first game. I pay attention to it. When his footwork gets sloppy, his accuracy struggles. And when his footwork isn’t sloppy, he is very accurate. He has made a lot of very tough throws into very tight windows during his first two seasons. The ability is there. It’s the consistency he needs.

Dak has showcased natural leadership ability. His teammates love him. He has good communication skills with his teammates. Dak also doesn’t panic during games and has shown an ability to play well when the pressure is on. Again, opinion. But I think he carries himself well during those situations and has.

He has led quite a few game winning or game tying drives late in the 4th quarter. When the game is on the line he showed the ability to play well when needed most. He did that well for a young QB. A lot of Young QB’s get picked off or fumble when trying to lead a last minute drive the team needs. But Dak handled them very well overall his first season and a half.

The biggest game of his career, a playoff game, he played exceptional. Now, we all know that the packers defense stunk. No argument there. However, you could tell the game wasn’t too big for him. Look at the history of rookie QB’s starting in the playoffs. Even the best rookie quarterbacks have historically struggled bad in the playoffs, when the spotlight is shining bright. Dak didn’t, he played very very well and was a big part in the cowboys comeback that day. It certainly wasn’t anybody on the offenses fault the cowboys lost that game.

Also, he has shown an ability to read defenses and call audibles. He isn’t at a veteran level yet. Like we were used to with Romo. But for a rookie/ second year player. He is good at it. Many times I have seen him audible and change a route which led to a big play. This year against the giants and last year against the lions to Brice butler for a TD are the two that immediately come to mind, but there are more.

So, I am not sure that Dak will be THE guy for the cowboys. He still has to improve the consistency of his mechanics, most notably his footwork. His footwork in particular gets sloppy under pressure. This is problematic and he willl need to improve it to have sustained success.

But I also think that he has enough physical ability, plus the leadership, work ethic, intellect, and calmness under pressure to be a quality starting QB. He has made some amazing plays that showcase that physical ability.

So I am not ready to throw the towel in on him yet.
You sound very reasonable at least, even if we disagree about his skill set. The DC board was loaded with Dak guys that refused to believe that there was a possibility where he wasn't our starter for the next 12 years. I'm too lazy to try and argue the finer points of everything here, so I'll just argue vs the one that to me is nutz. How can you say he didn't panic this year? The season was loaded with him panicking at the slightest bit of pressure while in the pocket.

condoin125

Reaction score
He may have limited passing ability but he's still above average at the position.

Again.. Average is Blake Bortles. He's way better then Blake Bortles.

He's play a lot more good games then he has bad games.

Dak can run a bad offensive scheme at a high level. Especially when Zeke is going. We were a machine in 2016 and at points this year Dak was playing at a elite level.

If we want to hit our guys out wide more then we need an offensive scheme that doesn't pigeon hole our WR's.

Dak is not a good come from behind QB. He's not going to win a lot of games if he gets in a QB duel but so many of these "top QB's" like Big Ben and Russell Wilson have relied on a strong run game and a incredible defense. Dak can play at their level in that situation.

Is he Rodgers? No

Brady? No

He's not that level of passer but few guys are.

Someone like Derek Carr who has the talent still can't manage to get results like Dak.

Winston? He's got a lot of talent but he can't play at Daks level.

Kirk Cousins? Would you take Cousins over Dak? Has Cousins ever beat Dak?

I just don't get the Dak hate.

Atlanta our coaches blew it.

Denver our defense put him in a situation that he isn't ready for.

He's still a 24 year old QB and who is off to one of the best starts in NFL history at his position.
Cousins is way better than Dak....why even make that comparison? Cousins is about to hit the open market and get paid..you think other teams would pay Dak that? Absolutely not.

aikemirv

Reaction score
They took the middle of the field away from Dak and he suffered greatly. They got pressure and he suffered greatly and refused to step up in the pocket. He ended up by the end of the year afraid to throw the ball down the field even when the down and distance demanded it. He is not the most accurate and does not have the best arm or the best mechanics but with the right mentality he can be good enough to win with.

BUT HE CANT PLAY SCARED! He will fail if he continues his end of year play!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cousins is way better than Dak....why even make that comparison? Cousins is about to hit the open market and get paid..you think other teams would pay Dak that? Absolutely not.

Cousins is better at what though? Throwing the ball a little better? Because he's not a better player then Dak Prescott.

Not to mention Dak has never lost to a Kirk Cousins team. 4-0 against him. I know that shouldn't be the deciding factor but he's even looked better then Kirk head to head.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
All I am saying is it would be a mistake to be all chips in on Dak being our solution long term at QB, draft a legitimate QB prospect, please.

condoin125

Reaction score
Cousins is better at what though? Throwing the ball a little better? Because he's not a better player then Dak Prescott.

Not to mention Dak has never lost to a Kirk Cousins team. 4-0 against him. I know that shouldn't be the deciding factor but he's even looked better then Kirk head to head.
A little better? Cousins has one of the best deep balls in the game and fantastic arm strength. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay what Cousins will cost on the open market....I'd rather do another year with Dak and draft someone. That being said, Cousins is a better player than Dak all around....Dak can run better than him but nothing else. Cousins just happens to play for that joke of an organization. Cousins kept that team competitive this season while playing with guys off the street due to their injuries. Also, go back to the Thanksgiving game last year and Dak has never looked as good as Kirk Cousins did there...problem is they let his weapons go in the offseason and Pryor was a bust for them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A little better? Cousins has one of the best deep balls in the game and fantastic arm strength. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay what Cousins will cost on the open market....I'd rather do another year with Dak and draft someone. That being said, Cousins is a better player than Dak all around....Dak can run better than him but nothing else. Cousins just happens to play for that joke of an organization. Cousins kept that team competitive this season while playing with guys off the street due to their injuries. Also, go back to the Thanksgiving game last year and Dak has never looked as good as Kirk Cousins did there...problem is they let his weapons go in the offseason and Pryor was a bust for them.

Im glad Cousins can throw a pretty ball.

You can't watch the 2 guys on the field at the same time and tell me Cousins is having a bigger impact on the game.

Cousins throws better then Russell Wilson too. Am I supposed to believe he is better then Wilson as well?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A little better? . Also, go back to the Thanksgiving game last year and Dak has never looked as good as Kirk Cousins did there...problem is they let his weapons go in the offseason and Pryor was a bust for them.

Dak was unreal that game. Clearly the best QB on the field that day.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Robert griffin had all the physical talent in the world.

He was arrogant, uncoachable and had poor leadership skills. Most of his teammates couldn’t stand him and his entitled attitude. That has far more to do with his failure than any lack of physical ability.

He had all those things minus all the talent in the world. He did not possess the skills to be an in the pocket franchise QB in the NFL. Not even close. He failed because he got exposed once NFL defenses adjusted to the few things he could do.

You seem to have a fetish for QBs with no talent.