Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

tunahelper

Reaction score
By that logic most the roster has to go. No Lamb, no Micah, no Martin, no Diggs, no Steele, etc. as Dak will outlast them all as a QB. The idea of just blowing up the entire team when you have won 12 games for 3 years in a row seems very crazy, especially when the real problem is just a problem in the trenches.
Agree with trenches problem but if you think Dak doesn't have any accountability in the losses you are not being honest.

Now the entire team lost and the defense started the avalanche but Dak had no answers on offense again.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agree with trenches problem but if you think Dak doesn't have any accountability in the losses you are not being honest.

Now the entire team lost and the defense started the avalanche but Dak had no answers on offense again.
Dak did not quit. Defense quit or actually never showed up.

Adreme

Reaction score

That is a strawman argument because it is not what I said. I am just not going to hold Dak to a higher standard than every other QB in the playoffs and every other QB in the playoffs had at least 1 bad half. What is unique in that game is that defense put up a performance (6 TDs allowed in the first 7 drives) that no team in the history of the NFL playoffs has won from. That means when assigning blame the overwhelming majority has to go to the unit that was playing so badly no one has ever won from that position meaning the offense could have been playing poorly or great but you still lose.

So that leaves us blaming the offense for the one bad half and I have Dak as the 3rd most responsible for it as he was the one making the throws. My top blame is still Lamb and I still have no idea why he was disinterested and disengaged but the announcers noticed it after the FIRST drive so it clearly had nothing to do with how the game was playing. The second is the coaches who were clearly trying to force Lamb the ball to get him interested again and if I as a viewer can notice it professional coaches can, and did, also notice it. Then comes Dak who, while he is running the play called, is still the one forcing the throw in the first place. Dak and coaches should have taken the philosophy of "if he is not interested then we will call plays for and throw it to someone else who is".

For the life of me I still want to know what exactly was going on with Lamb that game though because his detachment made no sense to me.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Drew Brees had just played at a pro bowl level for back-to-back seasons (making 1) and if not for said injury would have had the Chargers in a very awkward situation.
The Ravens back up quarterback made the pro bowl two seasons ago. Brees was not as highly touted as he was when Sean Payton got his hands on him.

plymkr

Reaction score
Steelers are a playoff team with Dak.
Definitely. There’s no question about that. Dak will make any fringe team a playoff team. The question is can Dak be the catalyst for a team to be successful in the playoffs.

GINeric

Reaction score
All QBs with inflated stats get exposed come playoff time. This will always be the case no matter how the rules are changed to favor high numbers in the passing game. This is why the playoffs matter. This why Romo and Dak are phonies with horrible playoff records.

Hey I can't argue too much with you on that.

But if we're basing playoff success on the quarterbacs.... why aren't Nick Foles and Trent Dilpher held in the same regard as Aaron Rodgers? They all have the same amount of Superbowl rings.

Why don't we give more respect to Foles and Dilpher than Marino and Jim Kelly?? Foles and Dilpher were able to accomplish something that Kelly and Marino couldn't, correct?

At the end of the day, it's about winning the Superbowl when it's all said and done, right?

GINeric

Reaction score
By going 2-5 when it really counts , and worse having that Deer in the Headlight look every time the opponent comes to play .

Chokota SUCKS !

Ok, I've read what you've said and I respect your opinion, but you still haven't answered the question.

Let me ask you again.....

You said Dak sucks, correct? Ok cool. Well explain to me how a quarterback that sucks can become an All Pro and be in MVP consideration WITHOUT a functioning running game to help support the offense?

2. Name me other quarterbacks in NFL history that sucked, became All Pro and in MVP consideration without a functioning running game.... please name these quarterbacks that suck who've done this.

Usually this is when people disappear and avoid clear and obvious questions after making a claim on a player, but I believe in you. I don't believe you're one of those people who just shout out meaningless insults on players without backing it up.

I believe you're intelligent and will answer the questions I've asked. I believe you're mature enough to explain how those things can be done by quarterbacks who suck. I believe you'll provide us with a list of quarterbacks who sucked and became All Pros and MVP candidates.

The floor is yours my friend.

Flamma

Reaction score
Definitely. There’s no question about that. Dak will make any fringe team a playoff team. The question is can Dak be the catalyst for a team to be successful in the playoffs.
Is that really saying much? The steelers would probably be a playoff team with Baker Mayfield too. But both need a much better team around them to go further.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Is that really saying much? The steelers would probably be a playoff team with Baker Mayfield too. But both need a much better team around them to go further.
Every QB needs a better team around them to go forward. When are people going to wake up.

Apparently the Chiefs suck, but they have Mahomes. Do you really believe that???

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
LOL @ all the Dak haters that think the team can just bully him into a hometown discount or force him to waive his no trade clause by benching him for no reason. Some of us can why to move on from Dak without creating ridiculous scenarios that can never happen.

plymkr

Reaction score
I agree. My point is anyone who says Dak “sucks” is wrong. That’s too simple and lazy. If he sucked he couldn’t lead the league in TD passes. If anyone says the Cowboys playoff performances are completely on the defense then that is wrong. Again simple and lazy.

I’m trying to be unbiased and unemotional when talking about Dak. IMO Dak is a top 10 QB that can take just about any team to the playoffs. But Dak has proven he is not a catalyst for playoff success. He’s not the guy to make the game shifting momentum plays in the playoffs. It’s it in his DNA.

Trent Dilfer made several plays in the Ravens Super Bowl to swing the momentum. I remember a long bomb to loosen up the defense. More importantly he didn’t make any horrible mistakes. Flacco made plays and was a catalyst for the offense.

Dilfer and Flacco are no where close to Dak in the regular season but in the playoffs they delivered. Dak is not a catalyst for playoff success. Or he hasn’t been for 8 years. He doesn’t “suck” he just doesn’t have playoff moxie in his DNA. That’s my concern with signing him to another contract.

Adreme

Reaction score
The Ravens back up quarterback made the pro bowl two seasons ago. Brees was not as highly touted as he was when Sean Payton got his hands on him.
He didn’t really make the pro bowl. He was the 6th alternate and the others all passed. Drew Brees ACTUALLY made the pro bowl. So yes Brees was an actual pro bowl level QB who had the Chargers in an awkward position of unable to actually play Philip Rivers because of how good he became suddenly year 4.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I am extremely confident they don't want him back (even at a bargain rate) and have set him up to fail big time this coming season so there is no doubt ( from the hate mongers) when he departs.
“set him up to fail”…why should this season be any different? Jerry Jones sets the Cowboys up to fail every season. He can do it with any quarterback.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I hope he takes out a two hundred mill insurance policy for injury this year.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I hope he takes out a two hundred mill insurance policy for injury this year.
What entity would insure a Cowboys quarterback for $200 million? Dak will play like a guy employed by Jerry Jones. Because he is. So will CeeDee. So will Micah. Like everyone else in this world, Jerry is going to get what he pays for.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Dak has more leverage than CD and or Micah combined. Dak can walk next year. CD and Micah don't have that luxury.
Not he doesn't, not even close. You want him too, that's different. We don't have higher pedigree at the those positions, not even close. Trey is a top 3 pick, he's 23 and raw. We don't have a top WR or LB early draft pick in the shadows.
We can let Dak walk, field the #1 defense in the league and be way more competitive on a Trey Lance 15M/ year QB deal. Dak is great in the regular season but yet in year 8/9 he stinks in the post season. Pay 60M for that... with Trey there?

It's not going to happen

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not he doesn't, not even close. You want him too, that's different. We don't have higher pedigree at the those positions, not even close. Trey is a top 3 pick, he's 23 and raw. We don't have a top WR or LB early draft pick in the shadows.
We can let Dak walk, field the #1 defense in the league and be way more competitive on a Trey Lance 15M/ year QB deal. Dak is great in the regular season but yet in year 8/9 he stinks in the post season. Pay 60M for that... with Trey there?

It's not going to happen
Trey is not a QB. He is an athlete. Dude has 400 passing attempts including college. Give me a break.

He is the least experienced QB in the entire NFL and he is on year 4.

Archie Manning has more experience than Trance coming out of HA for crying out loud and he has not even started his college career yet.

If the plan is to have Dak walk and tank the next couple of years to draft Archie Manning, then by all means plan on starting Trance.

Last edited:

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
No it really does not. Dallas can over Dak $80M and Dak can still say no.
saying no is not having leverage. What many on here refuse to understand is how the word leverage is used. If Jerry really really badly wants Dak, and if Dak knows this, Dak has all the leverage in the world to hold out for what he wants. It is becoming clear that Jerry may not want Dak, and is willing to eat what is left of his albatross contract. This may not mean the Cowboys have leverage over him, but they sure can let him stew over not getting extended. Really, if they want to put the screws to him they can sit him and see what Trey has, if anything. This would devalue any future contract Dak would get on the open market in 2025

Redsfan_83

Reaction score

It's not going to happen
You state very well the obvious that many cannot comprehend. Whether or not Trey can play is not the issue, Jerry sent a message when he traded for him and we can argue till the cows come home if this is a message or a grasp at straws.