Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

Adreme

Reaction score
The problem isn't that Dak is a top 10 in your eyes QB in the regular season. It's that his play drops so dramatically once he gets in the playoffs. He plays with a giant apple in his throat and it seems to be getting worse every year because the pressure is so great for him to perform that he plays like a 25th ranked QB.
Again if we focus on this year, his play was inline with the other playoff QBs so unless the playoffs were nothing but 25th ranked QBs your logic doesn’t hold.

Flamma

Reaction score
Every QB needs a better team around them to go forward. When are people going to wake up.

Apparently the Chiefs suck, but they have Mahomes. Do you really believe that???
There's a big difference between making the playoffs and winning the SB. Dak isn't taking the Chiefs to the SB.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Again if we focus on this year, his play was inline with the other playoff QBs so unless the playoffs were nothing but 25th ranked QBs your logic doesn’t hold.
As a regular season QB sure he deserves to be paid. But due to him disappearing for 3 quarters at a time in playoff games you gotta rethink paying him. Everyone from media to fans to former players don't believe in him. But most importantly the owner/ GM doesn't believe in him. His career in Dallas is coming to an end. All I can say is they can't get better until they get rid of him.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You do know this is a fan phrase, right? You won't hear it inside NFL locker rooms or coaches and GM.
Better yet.....find me a quote of a GM or coach calling another NFL team lousy or bad. They may admit teams having injuries to key players even then they any team can beat another team on any given Sunday. But you know this Pappy........lol
I have to disagree. Former players often talk about how good or bad their opponents were. They were most certainly talking about it in the locker rooms while playing. Current players say it in less obvious ways.

Coaches & GM's are also more discreet but will indicate that yes we fully expected to win games against certain teams.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm just amazed how a player that "sucks" could be in the top 10 of his position out of 96 other quarterbacks, can become 2nd team All-Pro, be in the MVP discussion the season previous and be the player with the most contractual leverage in the NFL.....

How can a player that "sucks" accomplish all of that?

What other players in NFL history was able to do those things while being a player that "suck"? That math ain't mathin.....
Explain his GB game. How can an elite Qb have that performance?

And it wasn't because of a missed block or WR tip. Inexplicable bonehead plays that cost us 14 easy 1st half points.

I'm not saying start Lance because of it. But we have to have some honest conversations about why that would happen to an "elite" QB in what should have been an easy home playoff game.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to disagree. Former players often talk about how good or bad their opponents were. They were most certainly talking about it in the locker rooms while playing. Current players say it in less obvious ways.

Coaches & GM's are also more discreet but will indicate that yes we fully expected to win games against certain teams.
Hawkeye asked you to find the quotes.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If your assessment is correct doesn’t it make sense to dump Dak now and get started on a future without Dak?
Which is why Jerry also needs to go....he just can't make that definitive cut.
I'd imagine Jerry's still living the illusion that Dak needs Dallas and/or this season is the definitive make or break.

The issue's surrounding Jerry and Dak aren't mutually exclusive.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You have to have good team to win a SB. Winnning SB's is how you get into the HOF.

I am not aware of any current HOFamers currently playing. Can you name any?

You also must believe the only way to be happy with your QB is to win a SB.

Mahomes did not win a SB by himself.
As far as guys likely to get into the HOF today, I'd say Rodgers and Mahomes are cinches, and Lamar and Josh Allen are on the right trajectory. Joe Burrow can't stay healthy, but he's shown that level of ability.

Those QBs are tractors that can pull your team. Guys like say Dak or Cousins are trailers that ultimately need a great team to carry them, because they tend to play to the sum of the parts around them. Giving "tractor" money to a "trailer" QB has been a move that's failed probably 9 times out of 10 in recent years.

I think that the league is at the "pay $60M to Todd Gurley" point right now with QB salaries. Teams are still writing those huge contracts to non-MVP caliber QBs, but they're starting to see more and more of those deals fail. And they're also seeing guys like Brock Purdy and Flacco and Geno show up and be successful while costing almost nothing. Think of those guys as the no-name Alfred Morris types who rush for for 1000 yards. With all of cheap guys that hit, the bargaining power of the rest of the pool erodes.

What we'll start seeing is a QB middle class emerging. It won't be an either/or between resigning your starter for $40M/yr+, even if he's Daniel Jones, or paying $5M/yr to some bridge QB. You can pay $30M to Baker Mayfield instead and build around him.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
How does Lance turning out to be a great quarterback make Dak worth any less to another team? And if Lance turns out to be the starter over Dak, he’s a free agent after this season, too. He’ll want even more than Dak signs for.
This is what some here don't understand..Jerry has created the perfect no win situation at QB....if either are good..hell if BOTH are good then they both will test the FA market..lol you go Jerry you smooth operator...lol

Hadenough

Reaction score
He was not inline with the other QBs. His garbage time stats may of fooled you.

Chasing6

Reaction score
As far as guys likely to get into the HOF today, I'd say Rodgers and Mahomes are cinches, and Lamar and Josh Allen are on the right trajectory. Joe Burrow can't stay healthy, but he's shown that level of ability.

Those QBs are tractors that can pull your team. Guys like say Dak or Cousins are trailers that ultimately need a great team to carry them, because they tend to play to the sum of the parts around them. Giving "tractor" money to a "trailer" QB has been a move that's failed probably 9 times out of 10 in recent years.

I think that the league is at the "pay $60M to Todd Gurley" point right now with QB salaries. Teams are still writing those huge contracts to non-MVP caliber QBs, but they're starting to see more and more of those deals fail. And they're also seeing guys like Brock Purdy and Flacco and Geno show up and be successful while costing almost nothing. Think of those guys as the no-name Alfred Morris types who rush for for 1000 yards. With all of cheap guys that hit, the bargaining power of the rest of the pool erodes.

What we'll start seeing is a QB middle class emerging. It won't be an either/or between resigning your starter for $40M/yr+, even if he's Daniel Jones, or paying $5M/yr to some bridge QB. You can pay $30M to Baker Mayfield instead and build around him.
You are entitled to you opinion.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly, Dak had weapons and an All-Pro O-Line.
....you can't afford all of those luxuries when you're paying one player 20%+ of the CAP.
When was he getting paid 20% of the cap???

Restructuring does not equal payment. Payments and cap are not the same thing.

So if Dak signs a 4 average of $40M per year and Jethro decides to pay have Dak at 8%, 8% 8% then 25%, that is Dak's fault?

ArtClink

Reaction score
Someone, probably not Jerry will pay Dak $50 mill a season.
Jerry, our GM and phantom head coach is very impulsive. There’s no telling what he’s capable of. Stay tuned for inevitable drama once the fuhrer start mkg more decisions.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Jerry, our GM and phantom head coach is very impulsive. There’s no telling what he’s capable of. Stay tuned for inevitable drama once the fuhrer start mkg more decisions.
you mean you dont have confidence in the guy who brought you Dak and Trey up for FA next year...come on Art can you not see the genius in that..lol