Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

Chasing6

Reaction score
saying no is not having leverage. What many on here refuse to understand is how the word leverage is used. If Jerry really really badly wants Dak, and if Dak knows this, Dak has all the leverage in the world to hold out for what he wants. It is becoming clear that Jerry may not want Dak, and is willing to eat what is left of his albatross contract. This may not mean the Cowboys have leverage over him, but they sure can let him stew over not getting extended. Really, if they want to put the screws to him they can sit him and see what Trey has, if anything. This would devalue any future contract Dak would get on the open market in 2025
Ok. It is only leverage for the Cowboys. Got it.

Dak will have multiple offers to start on multiple teams and get paid.

The Cowboys will not have any QB'a to choose from that can play at his level.

Not hard to do the math. It's actually very simple.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I mean he is not wrong. Dak is in position to be the first top 10 QB in the free agency era to be able to enter unrestricted free agency with 4-5 years left of their prime and, other than an extension, there is nothing the Cowboys can do about it. That is a mountain of leverage. Short of an injury situation, like when Drew Brees had an injury that made people wonder if he could throw again in his last year with Chargers, he will have the most leverage you could possibly have.
Fact!

Redsfan_83

Reaction score

Do you honestly think Dak will have multiple offers at the money he is asking for? What team that is competing will pay thaat for an early 30's-year-old QB who hasn't performed in the postseason? What contender will be in the market for a QB in 2025? Like it or not we are in a retool/rebuild and the time to win was last year, which we failed miserably. If Jerry was panicked he would have already caved to Dak's demands, but he hasn't. Micah and Lamb are younger franchise leaders on this team that deserve to, and should get paid before Dak. There is no world where we can afford to pay all 3 or it would already have been in the works. You are correct in that we don't have anybody that can replace Dak right now.....ie. that is battle-tested in the regular season. Our division has gotten MUCH stronger, and we have done little to keep up. We have questions on the OL (hope for the future does not help the present), no proven running game yet again, a disgruntled WR1, no WR2 and 1 TE. This is not the recipe that Dak needs to succeed, so there is but 1 thing that needs to be done at this point and many on here agree it's time even though it will hurt short-term

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I agree. My point is anyone who says Dak “sucks” is wrong. That’s too simple and lazy. If he sucked he couldn’t lead the league in TD passes. If anyone says the Cowboys playoff performances are completely on the defense then that is wrong. Again simple and lazy.

I’m trying to be unbiased and unemotional when talking about Dak. IMO Dak is a top 10 QB that can take just about any team to the playoffs. But Dak has proven he is not a catalyst for playoff success. He’s not the guy to make the game shifting momentum plays in the playoffs. It’s it in his DNA.

Trent Dilfer made several plays in the Ravens Super Bowl to swing the momentum. I remember a long bomb to loosen up the defense. More importantly he didn’t make any horrible mistakes. Flacco made plays and was a catalyst for the offense.

Dilfer and Flacco are no where close to Dak in the regular season but in the playoffs they delivered. Dak is not a catalyst for playoff success. Or he hasn’t been for 8 years. He doesn’t “suck” he just doesn’t have playoff moxie in his DNA. That’s my concern with signing him to another contract.
another great post that many don't understand....people just won't or don't want to get it

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

All of this is correct.

Playing devil's advocate here, I'd say that the case for letting go of Dak is that the track record of paying top dollar to a non HOF type QB is pretty poor. Think of all the mid tier QBs that got big time money in the past 5 or so years. How many teams ended up happy with the deal?

Off my head...

-Kirk Cousins with the Vikings
-Matthew Stafford to the Rams
-Jared Goff with the Rams
-Ryan Tannehill
-Daniel Jones
-Kyler Murray
-Derek Carr
-Jalen Hurts
-Deshaun Watson
-Carson Wentz with anyone

I think Stafford's the only one you could defend as being worth the money. Maybe Cousins too, cause he actually played pretty well, the team as a whole just didn't go anywhere.

I don't doubt that Dak could start on well over half of the teams in the NFL, and I don't doubt that he could sign a $220m Jared Goff contract in free agency tomorrow. But does he play well enough to justify eating up that much cap space? Will you be able to build a winner around him, or will your new QB force you to let too many guys go?

I'm starting to think that paying a non-elite QB top dollar might be the new version of paying an RB top dollar. The guys who get those deals almost never justify the investment.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Dak fits in the massive Cowboy Empire...

But Dak is not going to be another lessor (financially) team's #1.
Jerry will do what's best for the Jones's Empire in the short term.
Long term... Who know???

Chasing6

Reaction score
All of this is correct.

Playing devil's advocate here, I'd say that the case for letting go of Dak is that the track record of paying top dollar to a non HOF type QB is pretty poor. Think of all the mid tier QBs that got big time money in the past 5 or so years. How many teams ended up happy with the deal?

Off my head...

-Kirk Cousins with the Vikings
-Matthew Stafford to the Rams
-Jared Goff with the Rams
-Ryan Tannehill
-Daniel Jones
-Kyler Murray
-Derek Carr
-Jalen Hurts
-Deshaun Watson
-Carson Wentz with anyone

I think Stafford's the only one you could defend as being worth the money. Maybe Cousins too, cause he actually played pretty well, the team as a whole just didn't go anywhere.

I don't doubt that Dak could start on well over half of the teams in the NFL, and I don't doubt that he could sign a $220m Jared Goff contract in free agency tomorrow. But does he play well enough to justify eating up that much cap space? Will you be able to build a winner around him, or will your new QB force you to let too many guys go?

I'm starting to think that paying a non-elite QB top dollar might be the new version of paying an RB top dollar. The guys who get those deals almost never justify the investment.
You have to have good team to win a SB. Winnning SB's is how you get into the HOF.

I am not aware of any current HOFamers currently playing. Can you name any?

You also must believe the only way to be happy with your QB is to win a SB.

Mahomes did not win a SB by himself.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
saying no is not having leverage. What many on here refuse to understand is how the word leverage is used. If Jerry really really badly wants Dak, and if Dak knows this, Dak has all the leverage in the world to hold out for what he wants. It is becoming clear that Jerry may not want Dak, and is willing to eat what is left of his albatross contract. This may not mean the Cowboys have leverage over him, but they sure can let him stew over not getting extended. Really, if they want to put the screws to him they can sit him and see what Trey has, if anything. This would devalue any future contract Dak would get on the open market in 2025
Some team is going to pay Dak Prescott a lot of money to be their quarterback. How much is really not the issue. What bothers Cowboys fans is Dak Prescott doesn’t care what team pays him to be their quarterback. What is worse, for Cowboys fans, Trey Lance doesn’t care who pays him either. Someone will be the Cowboys‘ quarterback in 2025. Cowboys fans have no clue who that’s going to be.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Some team is going to pay Dak Prescott a lot of money to be their quarterback. How much is really not the issue. What bothers Cowboys fans is Dak Prescott doesn’t care what team pays him to be their quarterback. What is worse, for Cowboys fans, Trey Lance doesn’t care who pays him either. Someone will be the Cowboys‘ quarterback in 2025. Cowboys fans have no clue who that’s going to be.
100% correct.

Although Dak has made it clear it is not all about making the most money and he wants to be able to have talent around him.

It will be disturbing for Cowboys fans when he signs for less money, than he could have made, with a contending team.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
100% correct.

Although Dak has made it clear it is not all about making the most money and he wants to be able to have talent around him.

It will be disturbing for Cowboys fans when he signs for less money, than he could have made, with a contending team.
That’s why the NFLPA suggests and certifies agents. It’s only about money. Dak can afford to say “it is not all about making the most money” because he’s going to make a lot of it. He doesn’t want to stay with Dallas. The Cowboys aren’t trying to win a Super Bowl. Dak knows if there is no Super Bowl in his future he may as well just go get paid. Lance will leave as well. He’s not even being given a chance. The Cowboys are a hootenanny. Lamb has to be thinking 33 months and I am out of here. Parsons is jealous.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That’s why the NFLPA suggests and certifies agents. It’s only about money. Dak can afford to say “it is not all about making the most money” because he’s going to make a lot of it. He doesn’t want to stay with Dallas. The Cowboys aren’t trying to win a Super Bowl. Dak knows if there is no Super Bowl in his future he may as well just go get paid. Lance will leave as well. He’s not even being given a chance. The Cowboys are a hootenanny. Lamb has to be thinking 33 months and I am out of here. Parsons is jealous.
CD and Parsons will not wait that long. They will demand a trade if something does not change. They see how Dak is being treated and CD is now feeling it.

Parsons already hinted he would love to play for the Steelers and Mike Tomlin.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not when he's chasing a deficit? In his first four years alone, he was second in NFL history for game winning drives within that time frame.

He's not Mahomes clutch or guys on that level, but since 2016, he's ranked 12th in 4th quarter game winning drives. That's not great, but he's not on bum status when chasing a deficit either.
Who cares about the first 4 years.....what's his ranking in the LAST 4 YEARS.

This is EXACTLY the concerns most level fence sitters have about Dak First Fans.....you're cherry picking.

Yes he may of been great 4 years ago........but he isnt that player now (and the trends indicate that this who he is).

Dak's not clutch at all. The past 4 play-off games kind of indicate that HE AND THE WHOLE TEAM GIVE IN WHEN BEHIND.......AS NONE OF THEM HAVE FAITH IN A COMEBACK.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

This is EXACTLY the concerns most level fence sitters have about Dak First Fans.....you're cherry picking.

Yes he may of been great 4 years ago........but he isnt that player now (and the trends indicate that this who he is).

Dak's not clutch at all. The past 4 play-off games kind of indicate that HE AND THE WHOLE TEAM GIVE IN WHEN BEHIND.......AS NONE OF THEM HAVE FAITH IN A COMEBACK.
Why is Dak Prescott still with the Dallas Cowboys?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Because he meet's Jerry's strategy of being good enough to get us to the Play-Offs.
So, according to you, Dak is not the issue as much as Jerry Jones is the issue because Prescott is still the Cowboys quarterback because Jerry Jones says he’s the quarterback.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So, according to you, Dak is not the issue as much as Jerry Jones is the issue because Prescott is still the Cowboys quarterback because Jerry Jones says he’s the quarterback.
:huh: ......I answered your question as to why he's still here ATM (and on his present contract).

The very reason that Jerry hasnt extended Dak, is that it looks like his faith in Dak (based on his personal performances SFx2 and GB) has gone. Looks like Jerry has come to his senses that going 12-5 means nothing if the same ingrained issues reappear every Play-Off.

The problem with you Dak Fans is that you want to deflect blame, there is no one binary aspect. Jerry for his part has put a 12-5 winning team on the field for the past three years....now it could be argued that he could of gone ALL-IN at the deadline to try and ensure Play-Off success.....but we arent one (or even two players short) eg Henry for a 1st Rd pick wouldnt of got us past GB.....and would of left us playing this season without an O-Line.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
:huh: ......I answered your question as to why he's still here ATM (and on his present contract).

The very reason that Jerry hasnt extended Dak, is that it looks like his faith in Dak (based on his personal performances SFx2 and GB) has gone. Looks like Jerry has come to his senses that going 12-5 means nothing if the same ingrained issues reappear every Play-Off.

The problem with you Dak Fans is that you want to deflect blame, there is no one binary aspect. Jerry for his part has put a 12-5 winning team on the field for the past three years....now it could be argued that he could of gone ALL-IN at the deadline to try and ensure Play-Off success.....but we arent one (or even two players short) eg Henry for a 1st Rd pick wouldnt of got us past GB.....and would of left us playing this season without an O-Line.
If your assessment is correct doesn’t it make sense to dump Dak now and get started on a future without Dak?

Hadenough

Reaction score
The list of teams who got rid of top 10 QBs in their prime and got better in the short or medium term is very short. So short in fact that I could hand you a piece of paper with the name "Jared Goff to Detroit" on it and that is your list for this century, though the Rams obviously still came out ahead. You have a top 10 QB now and one who will likely, barring injury, still be that in 5 years and that is about as long term as you can think in the NFL.
The problem isn't that Dak is a top 10 in your eyes QB in the regular season. It's that his play drops so dramatically once he gets in the playoffs. He plays with a giant apple in his throat and it seems to be getting worse every year because the pressure is so great for him to perform that he plays like a 25th ranked QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I wonder did he have Zeke those years?