Adam Schefter: "There's not a player in football with more leverage right now than Dak Prescott."

Hadenough

Reaction score
As far as guys likely to get into the HOF today, I'd say Rodgers and Mahomes are cinches, and Lamar and Josh Allen are on the right trajectory. Joe Burrow can't stay healthy, but he's shown that level of ability.

Those QBs are tractors that can pull your team. Guys like say Dak or Cousins are trailers that ultimately need a great team to carry them, because they tend to play to the sum of the parts around them. Giving "tractor" money to a "trailer" QB has been a move that's failed probably 9 times out of 10 in recent years.

I think that the league is at the "pay $60M to Todd Gurley" point right now with QB salaries. Teams are still writing those huge contracts to non-MVP caliber QBs, but they're starting to see more and more of those deals fail. And they're also seeing guys like Brock Purdy and Flacco and Geno show up and be successful while costing almost nothing. Think of those guys as the no-name Alfred Morris types who rush for for 1000 yards. With all of cheap guys that hit, the bargaining power of the rest of the pool erodes.

What we'll start seeing is a QB middle class emerging. It won't be an either/or between resigning your starter for $40M/yr+, even if he's Daniel Jones, or paying $5M/yr to some bridge QB. You can pay $30M to Baker Mayfield instead and build around him.
That's what needs to happen! Good comparison with Dak and Cousins being trailers. The salary cap is broken when your paying mediocre QBs to be elite. I'm sure Mahomes is quietly laughing as he counts his trophies and he has more coming as long as this league is paying guys like Dak and Cousins all that money.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's what needs to happen! Good comparison with Dak and Cousins being trailers. The salary cap is broken when your paying mediocre QBs to be elite. I'm sure Mahomes is quietly laughing as he counts his trophies and he has more coming as long as this league is paying guys like Dak and Cousins all that money.
$40M a year was not elite.

khiladi

Reaction score
Sure Buddy….

1 year left to “show his leverage”…

Todd must have been on the phones work Adam before he made his post…

khiladi

Reaction score
Fine...than move on and play Trey Lance. I would think you traded for Lance and our paying him a LOT of money this season for this very scenario. Because you could have Cooper Rush at a fraction of the cost of what you are paying Trey Lance. Without Trey Lance numbers on the book, you could have signed Derrick Henry!

What are you afraid of? Trey Lance playing and completely wetting the bed and looking like a front office that is a joke! Well sell the team because you are in the wrong business if that is what you are trying to protect.

Seriously, Dak could win the MVP this year and he could still decide to walk because you made him play all year without any protection for his future. Same for McCarthy. It's already gone too far. McCarthy is already stating that being a lame duck coach is hard on his family.
Dak isn’t winning MVP., people forget how trash he was before the bye. He got destroyed by the 49ers once again and they had to significant change the offensive play-calling, which caught a few teams off guard. He was getting massacred to the point people were saying bring Moore back and broadcasters started feeling sorry for him, as guys like McCoy called him *** on love TV.

Dak ended the year with 5 INTs and proceeded to get owned by the Packers running basically the same defense as the 49ers.

You can go back any year and find a significant stretch where the Dallas offense was clocking on high cylinders against horrible defenses like this year and then proceeded to fold once the offense was figured out. The same thing happened a few years back until they played Denver and then it was downhill once again.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak isn’t winning MVP., people forget how trash he was before the bye. He got destroyed by the 49ers once again and they had to significant change the offensive play-calling, which caught a few teams off guard. He was getting massacred to the point people were saying bring Moore back and broadcasters started feeling sorry for him, as guys like McCoy called him *** on love TV.

Dak ended the year with 5 INTs and proceeded to get owned by the Packers running basically the same defense as the 49ers.

You can go back any year and find a significant stretch where the Dallas offense was clocking on high cylinders against horrible defenses like this year and then proceeded to fold once the offense was figured out. The same thing happened a few years back until they played Denver and then it was downhill once again.
Did Micah win Defensive Player of the Year?

ArtClink

Reaction score
you mean you dont have confidence in the guy who brought you Dak and Trey up for FA next year...come on Art can you not see the genius in that..lol
Lol! Yeah, genius and "Jones" are rarely mentioned! I esp love Jones's fine work of dedicating the entire 2008 draft to special teams or his insistence that we needed to draft an extra "cold weather" kicker in another draft. Then there's the years he was fixated on converting baseball pitchers into QB's with "Chutch" and Drew Henson (yeah I've been a fan a long time).

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
When did the defense get started?
You’re still under the mistaken impression that the ball doesn’t change hands on a scoring possession. What happened to the so-called runner-up MVP and the supposed high powered scoring offense?

The defense has a bigger excuse than the offense. Their two top CBs were injured, one out for the year and one with an injured shoulder playing at 50% in the game. They also were down to safeties playing LB due to injured LBs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You’re still under the mistaken impression that the ball doesn’t change hands on a scoring possession. What happened to the so-called runner-up MVP and the supposed high powered scoring offense?

The defense has a bigger excuse than the offense. Their two top CBs were injured, one out for the year and one with an injured shoulder playing at 50% in the game. They also were down to safeties playing LB due to injured LBs.
Good excuses.

Adreme

Reaction score
As a regular season QB sure he deserves to be paid. But due to him disappearing for 3 quarters at a time in playoff games you gotta rethink paying him. Everyone from media to fans to former players don't believe in him. But most importantly the owner/ GM doesn't believe in him. His career in Dallas is coming to an end. All I can say is they can't get better until they get rid of him.
Again it was a single half as he played well in both 3rd and 4th quarters and again all 11 other playoff QBs had a bad half. In fact many of them had a bad half in games they won and many in multiple games. When you are playing against good competition you can not expect 4 great quarters of football unless the defense you are playing is terrible (why the Cowboys defense was historically bad).

Adreme

Reaction score
He was not inline with the other QBs. His garbage time stats may of fooled you.
We did not hit "garbage time" until the 4th quarter and the only reason it was was because the defense could not come up with a stop. The reason SF made the SB, the reason Baltimore made the AFC Championship game, the reason the Lions made the NFC Championship game as well is when their QB had a bad half, the defense was both not a complete disaster that half and then also managed to get crucial stops when it counted.

Chasing6

Reaction score
As a regular season QB sure he deserves to be paid. But due to him disappearing for 3 quarters at a time in playoff games you gotta rethink paying him. Everyone from media to fans to former players don't believe in him. But most importantly the owner/ GM doesn't believe in him. His career in Dallas is coming to an end. All I can say is they can't get better until they get rid of him.
That all sounds great, however their is zero plan to replace him.

Go ahead let him walk. Start Trance, who will be forced to run, because he is not a QB, then wonder why he gets hurt.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Someone, probably not Jerry will pay Dak $50 mill a season.
TBF, I’m okay with that. Just don’t want to see this team cash-strapped for the next however many years to a QB who hasn’t shown he can handle the bright lights. At the same time, this situation is of Jerry’s own making. It’s just too bad we fans have to suffer with him and his son’s poor business/GM decisions. I’ve been a Cowboys fan I was a little kid and I’m in my mid-50’s now. It’s not like I’m going to suddenly change allegiances.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not sure another team gives him 60m a year. If they do let him walk.
The team that would be willing to pay him $60M, he does not want to be on. He will end up around $55M somewhere on a competitive team Dallas or otherwise.