Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Because I've been there done that. As a pro athlete your first few years you are all about the money and as your sports career is coming to a close you start self examining your accomplishments and make those more of a priority... like I said, priorities change. I make no assumptions about that. Petersons actions right now (wanting to get away from the team that is willing to pay him the most money) indicates something else is motivating him these days. He wants to fulfill a childhood dream and raise that trophy above his head as a Dallas Cowboy. Maybe you haven't heard his daddy's stories about him as a kid growing up in Texas.

I suspect the Vikings have already discussed restructuring his contract (before all the animosity became public) so he knows he's not going to get the 13 mill from them. Now that he knows he's going to have to redo his deal, he'd rather have the option of doing it with a team he wants to be on and is using the fact the vikings will either have to pay up or release him as leverage for his release

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Because I've been there done that. As a pro athlete your first few years you are all about the money and as your sports career is coming to a close you start self examining your accomplishments and make those more of a priority... like I said, priorities change. I make no assumptions about that. Petersons actions right now (wanting to get away from the team that is willing to pay him the most money) indicates something else is motivating him these days. He wants to fulfill a childhood dream and raise that trophy above his head as a Dallas Cowboy. Maybe you haven't heard his daddy's stories about him as a kid growing up in Texas.

Lebron James did somewhat of the same thing. He wanted to go home.....

home is home.

Nirvana

Reaction score
I suspect the Vikings have already discussed restructuring his contract (before all the animosity became public) so he knows he's not going to get the 13 mill from them. Now that he knows he's going to have to redo his deal, he'd rather have the option of doing it with a team he wants to be on and is using the fact the vikings will either have to pay up or release him as leverage for his release

Actually the reason he wants out of Minnesota has to do with feelings of betrayal and not having his back when all the media was jumping on him. There is no way he will agree to a restructure with Minnesota and the Vikings know that. Forced with either releasing him, paying him the full contract, or trading him, the Vikings have opted to NOT release him under any circumstances, and will force Peterson to play for them or no one. The trade offers they are getting are not good enough, and probably never will be. He'll reluctantly play for the Vikings sooner or later, probably after holding out until the season starts.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The team has no business chasing this guy unless he plays on a contract smaller than anyone would anticipate

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I definitely agree with this and I think it's something the Vikings aren't saying publicly. Sure they want Peterson back, but not for the agreed terms. They want him to re-work his deal to stay there while he sees it as his opportunity to get out. The Vikings want to have their cake and eat it too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team has no business chasing this guy unless he plays on a contract smaller than anyone would anticipate

And what is that range for you?

I expect a 3-year deal for $25 million, most of it guaranteed.

fishspill

Reaction score
Actually the reason he wants out of Minnesota has to do with feelings of betrayal and not having his back when all the media was jumping on him. There is no way he will agree to a restructure with Minnesota and the Vikings know that. Forced with either releasing him, paying him the full contract, or trading him, the Vikings have opted to NOT release him under any circumstances, and will force Peterson to play for them or no one. The trade offers they are getting are not good enough, and probably never will be. He'll reluctantly play for the Vikings sooner or later, probably after holding out until the season starts.

I want him here but I pretty much think you have it right. The only thing he might do is restructure to guarantee his money this season so he shows up to voluntary activities. This would be only after they let him know in no uncertain terms they aren't letting him go and will pay him his full salary.

JBS

Reaction score
And what is that range for you?

I expect a 3-year deal for $25 million, most of it guaranteed.

this is something similar to what I would guess

And I'd sign that deal for the Cowboys in a heartbeat

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I want him here but I pretty much think you have it right. The only thing he might do is restructure to guarantee his money this season so he shows up to voluntary activities. This would be only after they let him know in no uncertain terms they aren't letting him go and will pay him his full salary.

what do they get out of that ? A malcontent as the face of your franchise and dead money to a player who either isn't playing or playing because they are forcing him....

Bad jojo imho.... all for what? Why would they force that ? I think they will play hard ball for as long as they can though. They are going to try and get as much as they can...

But at some point, you have to get rid of that distraction. Every press conference will be about AP.

fishspill

Reaction score
what do they get out of that ? A malcontent as the face of your franchise and dead money to a player who either isn't playing or playing because they are forcing him....

Bad jojo imho.... all for what? Why would they force that ? I think they will play hard ball for as long as they can though. They are going to try and get as much as they can...

But at some point, you have to get rid of that distraction. Every press conference will be about AP.

I think AD will always go hard on the field, Zim and the Vikes know that. He's an important piece for them. Cowboys fans have to remember the Vikes are a team with legit playoff aspirations. Zim can put together a monster D, Teddy was the best looking rookie QB (as I recall) especially later in the year and without having good targets (his deep ball percentage was good and now Wallace is there), their running game played hard after losing a premier back and he's under contract to return. That's worth $15 million if I'm the Vikings. Bad press and all. I'd risk the distraction if I was them.

JBS

Reaction score
Vikes only have two options if they want to keep him

Force him to play under current deal

Or restructure his deal giving him more guaranteed money to amend the situation

Peterson isn't going to agree to a pay cut in minny

JBS

Reaction score
How would acquiring Peterson impact Dallas' ability to hang on to their own players?

Dez
Martin
Frederick
Crawford
Lawrence
Hardy
Etc?

The Natural

Reaction score
How would acquiring Peterson impact Dallas' ability to hang on to their own players?

Dez
Martin
Frederick
Crawford
Lawrence
Hardy
Etc?

You got like 2 years before you even have to worry about Martin or Lawrence. Dez should have been taken care of last offseason. Would have even been cheaper for all the penny pinchers around here already opposed to big contracts for your best players.

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
Lot of chatter about the restructuring of Romos contract making it possible to get AP.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...g-for-broke-...-and-maybe-adrian-peterson.ece
Cowlinshaw thinks so

DTown214

Reaction score
I would love to have AP, but like someone said above... getting him will possibly disable us from resigning some of our own guys down the road. Like Frederick, Martin, and Hardy (if he plays well after the suspension). Plus we aren't even 100% sure Peterson is gonna be the beast that most people think he'll be again. He's 30 and coming off a year having played 1 game. That alone is risky. I think the way to go is a RB in the 1st or 2nd round.

dupree89

Reaction score
I am confused...but thats not a big deal, I go through life that way. :lmao:

But I'm confused because I just read in another thread a pretty stern warning about not mentioning AP..or else!
But here is an entire discussion about him. So....before I post what I want to ask you guys......I will ask the MODS....can I make a post in this thread about AP or would that be a bannable offense? You mods on here are the greatest people that have ever walked this earth!! Thanks in advance.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Vikes only have two options if they want to keep him

Force him to play under current deal

Or restructure his deal giving him more guaranteed money to amend the situation

Peterson isn't going to agree to a pay cut in minny

I agree, Peterson aint doing jack with his contract to help Minny out.................either they force him to play or they give him even more guaranteed money to get over his feeling of betrayal.

I don't see either one of these happening.............Minny isn't going to pay him anymore money and you really cant force a player to play if he doesn't want to, see Jay Ratliff and Kyle Orton.

I think we see a trade or he gets released like the day before the season starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.