Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nation

Reaction score
There is a smoking gun that Cowboys fans are missing that all but ensures they have no plan to pursue Peterson, and it goes beyond the salary cap.

The NFL limits teams to 30 predraft visits for rookies. Dallas the past few years has valued those quite highly based on the amount of players they've taken from predraft visits.

Dallas has already had private visits with Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi and Abdullah. That is 17% of their visits all dedicated to the RB position. That makes it astoundingly clear to me based on past tendencies that they'll be drafting one of those 5 players.

Acquiring Peterson would also require a high draft pick to do so. If you're going to give up a high pick, you are well aware of the fact that you're going to have to hit home runs on your other picks in order to have a successful draft. Which sure as hell means you aren't spending a sixth of your draft visits on other running backs.

I wish I could like my own post because of how much truth there is here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a smoking gun that Cowboys fans are missing that all but ensures they have no plan to pursue Peterson, and it goes beyond the salary cap.

The NFL limits teams to 30 predraft visits for rookies. Dallas the past few years has valued those quite highly based on the amount of players they've taken from predraft visits.

Dallas has already had private visits with Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi and Abdullah. That is 17% of their visits all dedicated to the RB position. That makes it astoundingly clear to me based on past tendencies that they'll be drafting one of those 5 players.

Acquiring Peterson would also require a high draft pick to do so. If you're going to give up a high pick, you are well aware of the fact that you're going to have to hit home runs on your other picks in order to have a successful draft. Which sure as hell means you aren't spending a sixth of your draft visits on other running backs.

I'm glad that you're happy with it.

But have you factored in that the team is simply covering their bases in case they can't or don't acquire Peterson? Because that's what smart teams and smart people do.

I think you're way off base and way overvaluing pre-draft visits. They're a resource, but not anything you plan the direction of the franchise around.

I see the momentum for Peterson-to-Dallas growing and growing. And the Romo restructure now lets the Vikings, the Peterson camp, and the NFL know that they can pay him if they choose to. One more perceived roadblock knocked down.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
2nd round pick for AP and taking on his contract for the last 2 years?

Seems like a no brainer.

You have a chance to pair Romo at the twilight of his career with one of the best RB's of all time and an amazing O-line. Do it

At first thought it seems like a lot to give up a 2nd..

Then I think well would I rather have Bruce Carter, Gavin Escobar, or Demarcus Lawrence over Peterson...

Peterson just significantly raises our superbowl odds so much so that I would do it.

It's time to put our chips on the table and go all in. Adrian Peterson to Dallas should be the final piece to a Superbowl puzzle.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

But have you factored in that the team is simply covering their bases in case they can't or don't acquire Peterson? Because that's what smart teams and smart people do.

I think you're way off base and way overvaluing pre-draft visits. They're a resource, but not anything you plan the direction of the franchise around.

I see the momentum for Peterson-to-Dallas growing and growing. And the Romo restructure now lets the Vikings, the Peterson camp, and the NFL know that they can pay him if they choose to. One more perceived roadblock knocked down.

I was just thinking the same thing. Cowboys just did their due diligence by visiting with the rookie RB's. The AD thing isn't a guarantee. It is very complicated and surely might not happen but I really do believe the Cowboys are very interested in him. When you are this close to a super bowl you grab a player like Peterson. He would be amazing behind this line. Our offense would be a nightmare for defensive coordinators.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
At first thought it seems like a lot to give up a 2nd..

Then I think well would I rather have Bruce Carter, Gavin Escobar, or Demarcus Lawrence over Peterson...

Peterson just significantly raises our superbowl odds so much so that I would do it.

It's time to put our chips on the table and go all in. Adrian Peterson to Dallas should be the final piece to a Superbowl puzzle.

Right, and not to mention our vet window is closing fast. When you're this close you gotta go for it. The top NFC teams is a short list... Seattle, Packers, Ariz, and Cowboys. That's it. We were just as good as any of them last year. Peterson makes us better than all of them IMO.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

So cute you wanted to kiss yourself. :laugh:

I'll like it for ya. :)

esloan

Reaction score

It ain't happening, man. It just ain't. The team will draft Gurley, Gordon, Ajayi or Coleman. One of those three will combine with McFadden and do a fine job making up for the loss of Murray. Whatever back we draft, I think they will almost have to be the early favorite for Rookie of the Year because any of those four could have a monster season behind this line, barring injury.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
  1. Cannot go into a SB contending season with What we have currently at RB. Even drafting one is dangerous.. See Richardson, trent; Jones, Felix. We need a known commodity considering how important that position is in the current scheme.
AP Is the answer.

Have you seen some of the running backs who have won the Super Bowl recently?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
It ain't happening, man. It just ain't. The team will draft Gurley, Gordon, Ajayi or Coleman. One of those three will combine with McFadden and do a fine job making up for the loss of Murray. Whatever back we draft, I think they will almost have to be the early favorite for Rookie of the Year because any of those four could have a monster season behind this line, barring injury.

Well, there is no way Gordon slides to us and it is possible Gurley is gone as well.. but as good as Gurley is, he will be coming off of an injury and is a little more of a question mark. So really, I would say that leaves Ajayi, Coleman or someone else. Our identity last year was running the ball, I don't think we want to put our season on the line with a rookie RB. With regards to Run DMC.. we all know he can't be trusted.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

Yeah, the last 2 years it was Lynch and who cares about NE's running back.. they have Tom Brady and a genius coach. I don't think heading into this season with a question mark RB is smart. Long term, no problem... but trying to get to a super bowl THIS year? Problem.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We'll see. Opinions vary. If it hasn't happened by the time the draft is over, I expect that you'll be proven right. Feel free to give me an "I told ya so!" at that point because I will have deserved it. But if Peterson is acquired, you can expect one from me too.

:thumbup:

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score

Are any of those that have won running the same scheme we are? Romo winning a SB without a workhorse back was tried for 6 seasons with pretty poor results.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Are any of those that have won running the same scheme we are? Romo winning a SB without a workhorse back was tried for 6 seasons with pretty poor results.

The lack of a "workhorse" back was not the reason the Cowboys didn't win the Super Bowl. Moreover, Murray had been on the roster since 2011. The only thing that changed between last year and 2011 was the offensive line.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Yeah, the last 2 years it was Lynch and who cares about NE's running back.. they have Tom Brady and a genius coach. I don't think heading into this season with a question mark RB is smart. Long term, no problem... but trying to get to a super bowl THIS year? Problem.

The Giants won it twice with the likes of Ahmad Bradshaw starting. Wow. Stop the presses. There is a Hall of Fame talent there.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboy's restructured Romo's contract to free up a good chuck of cap space... maybe a AP sized chunk of cap space. I think the Cowboys are going for it this year... all in, damn the torpedoes! Praise Jesus and pass the ammo... our Boys are going to war and they won't be back without that Lombardi!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The lack of a "workhorse" back was not the reason the Cowboys didn't win the Super Bowl. Moreover, Murray had been on the roster since 2011. The only thing that changed between last year and 2011 was the offensive line.

Great post.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will be glad when this AP/AD crap is finally over.

Whether we draft a back and don't acquire Peterson....or we do acquire petereson.

Just so annoying with two different camps so sure of themselves that we are or are not going to get him and when it finally does or does not happen there will be a tone of I told you so crap posts....when it happens I will say...see...I told you so about the I told you so posts.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
The scheme changed last season. Before that, we might not have had the O-line to pull it off and we were pass happy like no other time in our history. If you really think we can just draft Murray's replacement and be assured of a PO spot, you haven't been paying attention to the JG years. The 'process' will have to find another QB in a couple of seasons. When do you believe the 'process' will bring us another ring? 2030?

I'm not advocating sending high picks to Minn or anything. It's just the window is near shut for Romo, Witten and this team. Yes we have a well founded line but, using your logic, we should have not went out and got Hardy because the 'process' would have worked it out.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Also the commitment to actually running the ball.

I feel like the 2013 season could've been similar to this past season had we just actually not gave up on the run so quick.

We wasted a lot of time with the current scheme designs and playcalling.

Now our passing schemes are still blah for the most part but our ability to impose our will on the ground has changed everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.