Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that he was a productive back. He was extremely productive. He just can't stay healthy THAT IS A FACT. That fact is a big reason the Cowboys let him walk plain and simple.

Actually, Jerry doesn't want to give out a big contract to any RB; especially with how our cap is right now. He stated his exact reasons as to why we didn't give Murray the contract he wanted, the nature of the position.

And Murray missed two games since December of 2012. He hasn't been "injury plagued" since the 2012 season. We were lucky he got out of 2012 with only a broken hand with the kind of workload we gave him.

Now, if we ran him into the ground is yet to be seen. But again, let's not downplay the kind of player he was. A great talent that could both rush and receive, not every RB is going to take on that kind of production.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
the only way Adrian Peterson comes to Dallas is if the Cowboys trade Brandon carr to the Vikings along with a draft pick or two that way it clears up the cap space by getting rid of carrs contract

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Actually, Jerry doesn't want to give out a big contract to any RB; especially with how our cap is right now. He stated his exact reasons as to why we didn't give Murray the contract he wanted, the nature of the position.

And Murray missed two games since December of 2012. He hasn't been "injury plagued" since the 2012 season. We were lucky he got out of 2012 with only a broken hand with the kind of workload we gave him.

Now, if we ran him into the ground is yet to be seen. But again, let's not downplay the kind of player he was. A great talent that could both rush and receive, not every RB is going to take on that kind of production.

don't believe I downplayed what kind of player he was.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
the only way Adrian Peterson comes to Dallas is if the Cowboys trade Brandon carr to the Vikings along with a draft pick or two that way it clears up the cap space by getting rid of carrs contract

You did catch the news recently where Romo restructured his deal giving the cowboys over 12 million in cap space?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You did catch the news recently where Romo restructered his deal giving the cowboys over 12 million in cap space?

You understand that money is going to go to draft picks while some it is going to McClain, not to mention, we may still pick up some FA's?

AZ_Cowboys_Fan

Reaction score
Murray ran a 4.37 at 215 pounds. That is fairly elite in terms of a size/speed combo. I agree that as far as a monster season goes for 2014 that the OL carried the load there. But the run game in other years where Murray played versus when he was hurt was night and day.

His "game speed" was never anywhere close to 4.37. He always got caught from behind and rarely had runs longer than 20 yards.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I loved Murray but at the end of the day the team knew they weren't bringing him back. You don't give a back that many carries if you plan on keeping him the year after. In regards to AP I have a feeling something is already in the works. There is too many reasons for there not to be. Bringing in a rookie would be great. Problem with that is blocking and picking up blitzes. I don't know if I would just trust the health of our franchise qb in the hands of a first year player. AP can come in here and dominate from day one. Just my opinion

erod

Reaction score
The Jones aren't cheap.. It is the salary cap that limits them.

Don't kid yourself. Jerry argued long and hard for that cap because it gives owners the excuse they need not to sign players to NBA and MLB contract numbers.

I wish they'd raise the cap to $150 million per team, but make it a hard cap. Simple math, none of this upfront money restructured to create room nonsense.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yes roughly 5-7 million...the only FA left to pickup is AP once he is released.

That won't be until after the draft. We're not going through the draft without selecting an RB.

If Gordon is there at 27, we've found our new starting RB.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't kid yourself. Jerry argued long and hard for that cap because it gives owners the excuse they need not to sign players to NBA and MLB contract numbers.

I wish they'd raise the cap to $150 million per team, but make it a hard cap. Simple math, none of this upfront money restructured to create room nonsense.
Arguing for a salary cap makes sound business sense. A cap provides revenue and expense controls. However, Jerry Jones has demonstrated many times that he is willing to invest in large contracts. He is not cheap in regards to overall player salaries.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
You talk like Murray was some superior athlete. Average talent, poor speed, poor quickness, and poor burst.

The oline made this dude. He was not all that. You and the eagles will find this out.

Maybe. But I do know he rushed for 1800 plus yards, and was the focal of the offense, and a leader on this team; A team that was the most competitive team the Dallas Cowboys have fielded in 20 years.

twenty years.

And you may very well be right, we can just pick someone up and put anybody behind this Offensive Line. No problem. -- Again, that very well may be the case. But I wouldn't "count" on it. I would rather go into this season, a season we expect to push for a Super Bowl, with something more then, unknown rookie, DMF, randle and PS Williams.....

At this very moment. I think that's too big of a risk, for what we are trying to accomplish.

I have a 2 year window with Romo. Maybe they are counting on 5.

The time is now. We need that position secure, going into the season, right now. Not next year or a few years from now, This year. Right now. That is just my opinion. Nothing more.

Murray is a Great football player. A decent running back, but a Great football player.

1800 yards behind any line is a pretty good year, :):):):) wouldn't you say? But more importantly, being the focal point of a team that was finally competitive with the best teams in the league, since 1996!!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The only RB they will draft in the 1st rd would be Gurley imo and he will be gone.

They're already bringing in Gordon for a pre-draft visit, they obviously liked what they saw on his film.

Some of you are way too fixated on this AP thing. I understand it seems like a dream scenario, but think about it for a bit: Rookie with a ton of upside on rookie contract, or 30 year old RB asking for money we wouldn't give a 27 year old RB coming off a 1,800 rush season?

AP isn't coming to Dallas unless he gives us a major discount. Familiarize yourself with Gurley, Gordon, and Coleman some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.