Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Has AP been reinstated by the league? What are the rules about trading guys on the exempt list?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hey I am just as excited about the draft as anybody...I also said if the cowboys dont select a rb in the first three rounds then that is a sure sign something is in the works with AP. With Gordon and Gurley most likely off the board their will no longer be a RB worth the first pick with top D players still sitting there. Yes the reason it is "news worthy" because it is a very real possibility....

It's not "most likely", most people expect Gordon or Gurley to be there at 27. Cardinals have a big need at OLB and even CB, and there will be good prospects left there for them. The Ravens will not be choosing RB over WR, which they desperately need an upgrade in. The only team locked in before us to take an RB is Chargers. Then you have the Falcons which have holes all over their defense and a couple in their offensive line, and they'd be reaching if they grabbed either RB.

One of them is most likely to be there.

And IF we somehow get out of this draft without an RB, I still don't see us grabbing Peterson. The "best RB in football" is not going to take less than what Lynch is getting, his agent is far too prideful and greedy to have Peterson accept anything less.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
It's not "most likely", most people expect Gordon or Gurley to be there at 27. Cardinals have a big need at OLB and even CB, and there will be good prospects left there for them. The Ravens will not be choosing RB over WR, which they desperately need an upgrade in. The only team locked in before us to take an RB is Chargers. Then you have the Falcons which have holes all over their defense and a couple in their offensive line, and they'd be reaching if they grabbed either RB.

One of them is most likely to be there.

And IF we somehow get out of this draft without an RB, I still don't see us grabbing Peterson. The "best RB in football" is not going to take less than what Lynch is getting, his agent is far too prideful and greedy to have Peterson accept anything less.

As I stated...this morning the ATL journal reported..the falcons are seriously considering taking Gurley with their first pick.
The Cardinals have brought in Gurley and most "mocks" have Gurely going right there at 24.
The ravens?? Who mentioned the Ravens?
The one person you are forgeting with your subtle rebuttle is Peterson himself he has been quoted as willing to redo his current deal for the Cowboys and Cardinals..he wants to come here, he has stated his desire to play here, and it has been stated by his agent he wants to move on from the vikings.
Not sure where you are reading about the chargers being the only team with a real interst in drafting a rb in the first round but from what i have read those teams in no particular order would be Falcons, Chargers, Cardinals, Patriots, Cowboys, Jets, Titans, and Lions. Now in no way am i implying any of these teams will select a RB in the 1st rd what i am implying is each of these teams have a legit need for a bellcow.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let's just draft Tevin Coleman in the 2nd round and call it a day.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He showed that pre-salary cap. Since then, he likes most any owner.
Pre-salary cap? The current salary cap/free agency structure was established by the 1993 CBA. I know. I have been fussing about that damn parity enforcing piece of (family forum) literature every year since.

Let's go back a bit. Could you expand the cheapness of Michael Irvin's 1995 contract? Let's skip ahead in the post-salary cap era. How about Marion Barber's extension in 2008? Let's be unpredictable and leave Tony Romo's extension out of the conversation for now. How about Dan Bailey's extension last year? Dan Bailey. A kicker. His contract isn't exactly floundering at the bottom of his peer's pay structure. Perhaps Jones can be described as "most any owner." Okay, but has he signed off on relatively large player contracts SINCE 1993? Or not?

"???"

mattjames2010

Reaction score
As I stated...this morning the ATL journal reported..the falcons are seriously considering taking Gurley with their first pick.
The Cardinals have brought in Gurley and most "mocks" have Gurely going right there at 24.
The ravens?? Who mentioned the Ravens?
The one person you are forgeting with your subtle rebuttle is Peterson himself he has been quoted as willing to redo his current deal for the Cowboys and Cardinals..he wants to come here, he has stated his desire to play here, and it has been stated by his agent he wants to move on from the vikings.
Not sure where you are reading about the chargers being the only team with a real interst in drafting a rb in the first round but from what i have read those teams in no particular order would be Falcons, Chargers, Cardinals, Patriots, Cowboys, Jets, Titans, and Lions. Now in no way am i implying any of these teams will select a RB in the 1st rd what i am implying is each of these teams have a legit need for a bellcow.

You can attach ANY team with no big name RB to one of the big six RBs, but that doesn't mean that is who they are most likely to take. Anyone who says that the Falcons are "seriously considering" taking an RB in the freakin' top 10 is kidding themselves; and I don't even care if it's from the inside. No RB is going in the top 10 this year, the Falcons have holes everywhere that needs filled. The Lions have an OT tackle problem, most credible sites have them going with an OT, most mocks are saying Jets will be grabbing a QB in this draft due to Geno Smith looking like he hasn't progressed and they have the sixth overall pick! Neither Gordon or Gurley are going in the top 10, rule those damn teams out already.

The only teams before Dallas that makes sense for them to take an RB are the Chargers, Cardinals, and Ravens. Ravens have bigger needs at WR and Cardinals have a few defensive spots that need to be fixed and they love their. The only team I'm certain will take an RB is the Chargers.

So unless something strange happens in the draft, there is a very good chance either Gordon and Gurley will be there; and we could always trade up for one of them or move back to around 31 or 32 to grab Coleman.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I really don't believe much of what I am hearing from anybody on this issue. They are all playing the "negotiation dance" game..

AP wants out.
Dallas needs RB.
Dallas has a 2-3 window for a SB. As things stand now.
AP grew up a Cowboys Fan.
AP is from Texas.
AP is a mega Superstar being buried in a rebuilding project in Minny..

Narrow all the teams down that need a RB and will actually make an attempt at AP. And Dallas is right up there. I am guessing AP will take a pay-cut. Its just a guess of mine, but I would think at this point in APs career, playing for a franchise like the Cowboys, with a chance to make a run, is worth 7 8 million to him? He realistically only has 3 years left...He has made his fortune. He is one of the best RBs in NFL History and everyone knows it. He is a beast. Orders of magnitude better then anyone in the draft and Demarco Murray. I am just guessing, but I think he takes a multi million dollar pay cut, in order to play , where he wants to play, for the next 2 3 years. And have a chance at playing in the Super Bowl.........for his hometown team. his childhood team. Help bring them back to Glory after a dismal 20 year drought.................. or, he could play for Minny who threw him under the bus, and play in meaningless games and never make the playoffs and just get forgotten about...

?? He wants his shot, you better believe he does....

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
You can attach ANY team with no big name RB to one of the big six RBs, but that doesn't mean that is who they are most likely to take. Anyone who says that the Falcons are "seriously considering" taking an RB in the freakin' top 10 is kidding themselves; and I don't even care if it's from the inside. No RB is going in the top 10 this year, the Falcons have holes everywhere that needs filled. The Lions have an OT tackle problem, most credible sites have them going with an OT, most mocks are saying Jets will be grabbing a QB in this draft due to Geno Smith looking like he hasn't progressed and they have the sixth overall pick! Neither Gordon or Gurley are going in the top 10, rule those damn teams out already.

The only teams before Dallas that makes sense for them to take an RB are the Chargers, Cardinals, and Ravens. Ravens have bigger needs at WR and Cardinals have a few defensive spots that need to be fixed and they love their. The only team I'm certain will take an RB is the Chargers.

So unless something strange happens in the draft, there is a very good chance either Gordon and Gurley will be there; and we could always trade up for one of them or move back to around 31 or 32 to grab Coleman.

hmmm very interest point of view....so what your saying is all these other articles are pointless and have no merit...no one ever said that list i provided meant a rb would have to be picked in the first rd by any of those teams...nice to know you are certain the chargers are going to pick a RB...you may want to throw down some mulla on that one....

phildadon86

Reaction score
Maybe. But I do know he rushed for 1800 plus yards, and was the focal of the offense, and a leader on this team; A team that was the most competitive team the Dallas Cowboys have fielded in 20 years.

twenty years.

And you may very well be right, we can just pick someone up and put anybody behind this Offensive Line. No problem. -- Again, that very well may be the case. But I wouldn't "count" on it. I would rather go into this season, a season we expect to push for a Super Bowl, with something more then, unknown rookie, DMF, randle and PS Williams.....

At this very moment. I think that's too big of a risk, for what we are trying to accomplish.

I have a 2 year window with Romo. Maybe they are counting on 5.

The time is now. We need that position secure, going into the season, right now. Not next year or a few years from now, This year. Right now. That is just my opinion. Nothing more.

Murray is a Great football player. A decent running back, but a Great football player.

1800 yards behind any line is a pretty good year, :):):):) wouldn't you say? But more importantly, being the focal point of a team that was finally competitive with the best teams in the league, since 1996!!

I will agree with you to an extent. At the end of the day 1800 yards is incredible. Problem is how many yards he left on the field because he literally has no top end speed. He could of beat the rushing record easily this season if he didn't slow down in the open field.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry would be foolish to mortgage the teams future on a 30 year old back even a great back like AP. He saw what happened to Minn back in 89 when they mortgaged everything for Walker the last thing he wants to do is make that same mistake. Only once has Jerry traded for an established player that worked in his favor and that was with Charles Haley but he didn't mortgage the teams future to get him. He coughed up two #1's for Joey Galloway and that blew up in his face setting the Cowboys back several years. He gave up a #1 for Roy Williams and that backfired. AP is a great player and he would probably run wild behind the Cowboys OL but an injury could end it all and father time isn't on his side.

Giving up some premium draft picks and losing out on players that could help the defense is not worth what it would take to get AP. I know he's a great player but he has too many miles on him to give up what it would take to get him. If he was released I would have no problem going after him but I don't want to trade any premium draft picks for him some of which would probably be future picks. The Vikings are not going to give AP up for a few measly mid round picks they're going to want some premium picks and the defense is going to continue being an issue if we don't have the resources to improve it. I would rather roll the dice on a strong RB crop in a few weeks and hope we get a hit. At least we'll have enough picks to address the RB position and the defense.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
How is this even a point? Why would we cut him already? We haven't had the draft, and Dunbar is still going to be on the bubble fighting for third string with Randle, Williams, and UDFAs.

I guess you missed the part were we re-signed him this off-season. I guess I don't get why they brought in McFadden in to be the COP guy if they already re-signed Dunbar who by all accounts the coaches like.

Maybe I'm confused but McFadden was brought in to compete for starting role and the low salary gives the Cowboys an easy out if he shows no promise in camp.

Moderately_Askew

Heelsboy
Reaction score

mattjames2010

Reaction score
hmmm very interest point of view....so what your saying is all these other articles are pointless and have no merit...no one ever said that list i provided meant a rb would have to be picked in the first rd by any of those teams...nice to know you are certain the chargers are going to pick a RB...you may want to throw down some mulla on that one....

What are "all these articles"? Obviously anything can happen in the draft, but Jets and Falcons are not in the running for an RB; there is far too much talent in the top 10 to be grabbing an RB. If the Falcons want to go ahead and waste a pick on an RB in the top 10, let them, that means it'll cause a bit of a domino effect and some talented players are going to start to fall.

And I certainly will put down the Chargers go with an RB to help out Phillip Rivers. I think for the Cardinals there are going to be a couple good CB and OLB prospects which offer more value than an RB. But if both teams take Gurley and Gordon, we'll just grab Coleman while trading back while snagging a 3rd round pick.

joseephuss

Reaction score
His "game speed" was never anywhere close to 4.37. He always got caught from behind and rarely had runs longer than 20 yards.

That just is not true at all. Murray ranked second in the league with most runs longer than 20 yards in 2014. He did it 15 times during the season. Over the last 10 seasons only 5 guys have had more than 15 of their carries go for over 20 yards during a single season. If Murray rarely had runs longer than 20 yards it is because it is a rather rare occurrence in general in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingBigPlays

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I guess you missed the part were we re-signed him this off-season. I guess I don't get why they brought in McFadden in to be the COP guy if they already re-signed Dunbar who by all accounts the coaches like.

Maybe I'm confused but McFadden was brought in to compete for starting role and the low salary gives the Cowboys an easy out if he shows no promise in camp.

First off, we tendered Lance Dunbar to a one year deal, something we can easily get out of. You're also forgetting that our second string RB last year continues to get into off-the-field issues and even when we draft an RB, there's all of camp for these RBs to compete.

;Every one of these RBs will be "competing for the starting spot", but if you think a talented rookie RB isn't in our plans for the draft; you're kidding yourself. McFadden is valuable depth due to a boneheaded, big mouth RB still being on our roster. They don't trust Randle, and for good reason.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
What are "all these articles"? Obviously anything can happen in the draft, but Jets and Falcons are not in the running for an RB; there is far too much talent in the top 10 to be grabbing an RB. If the Falcons want to go ahead and waste a pick on an RB in the top 10, let them, that means it'll cause a bit of a domino effect and some talented players are going to start to fall.

And I certainly will put down the Chargers go with an RB to help out Phillip Rivers. I think for the Cardinals there are going to be a couple good CB and OLB prospects which offer more value than an RB. But if both teams take Gurley and Gordon, we'll just grab Coleman while trading back while snagging a 3rd round pick.

Well at least you have a very recognizable name and I will be able to say you were right or wrong in this case. As for the articles there are to many to list them all but a great deal have been posted here, nfl news area, and draft zone. You may want to peruse in there for some worth while information.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I will agree with you to an extent. At the end of the day 1800 yards is incredible. Problem is how many yards he left on the field because he literally has no top end speed. He could of beat the rushing record easily this season if he didn't slow down in the open field.

I would agree. Although I am a fan of DM, I would've had a really hard time paying him like the Eagles did...

I think DM brings more to the table then just being a good RB in the NFL. I think his style of play and who he is as a person rubs off onto other guys on the field and in the locker room.....

But that contract he got, was too much.... I think the Cowboys made the right move in this case.
Jerry would be foolish to mortgage the teams future on a 30 year old back even a great back like AP. He saw what happened to Minn back in 89 when they mortgaged everything for Walker the last thing he wants to do is make that same mistake. Only once has Jerry traded for an established player that worked in his favor and that was with Charles Haley but he didn't mortgage the teams future to get him. He coughed up two #1's for Joey Galloway and that blew up in his face setting the Cowboys back several years. He gave up a #1 for Roy Williams and that backfired. AP is a great player and he would probably run wild behind the Cowboys OL but an injury could end it all and father time isn't on his side.

Giving up some premium draft picks and losing out on players that could help the defense is not worth what it would take to get AP. I know he's a great player but he has too many miles on him to give up what it would take to get him. If he was released I would have no problem going after him but I don't want to trade any premium draft picks for him some of which would probably be future picks. The Vikings are not going to give AP up for a few measly mid round picks they're going to want some premium picks and the defense is going to continue being an issue if we don't have the resources to improve it. I would rather roll the dice on a strong RB crop in a few weeks and hope we get a hit. At least we'll have enough picks to address the RB position and the defense.

And thats a strong argument too. Its not like I don't think that strategy has no chance,,,,it might work.

I do think its a significant risk, going into a season when you have Super Bowl aspirations, depending on a rookie. Or for our OLine to be the most dominant oline in history and resurrect the careers of DMF and Williams.... randle and dunbar cant carry the load. So, now your talking about RBBC which changes are offensive identity,,,,,, Like I said, it might work?

But, if there is the slight chance of getting AP signed for 2 or 3 years. I take it and dont look back,

My window is Romos window. And I give Romo 2, maybe 3 years. I am doing whatever we have to do , to push for making a SB in that window. Getting AP instead of a rookie, is the move to make.

But maybe thats not the Strategy? Maybe there are other things in play guiding the FO and Dallas Cowboys? Maybe they are sacrificing the RB position in order to spend money on the Defense and field a more balanced team, and they believe thats the way to get into the SB in the next 2-3 years? I disagree with that strategy, but no one cares what I think! lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.