Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zordon

Reaction score
They're already bringing in Gordon for a pre-draft visit, they obviously liked what they saw on his film.

Some of you are way too fixated on this AP thing. I understand it seems like a dream scenario, but think about it for a bit: Rookie with a ton of upside on rookie contract, or 30 year old RB asking for money we wouldn't give a 27 year old RB coming off a 1,800 rush season?

AP isn't coming to Dallas unless he gives us a major discount. Familiarize yourself with Gurley, Gordon, and Coleman some more.

I honestly do not care about the upside of running back and what he can do for us 4-5 years down the line knowing that we're most likely not going to give him a second contract. The window is 2-3 years so I want the best player for those 2-3 years. That's AP.

Moderately_Askew

Heelsboy
Reaction score
Yes roughly 5-7 million...the only FA left to pickup is AP once he is released.

Romo was restructured so Dallas could pay for McClains new contract, the draft picks, the last 52-53 players on the roster, and to pay for Hardy as he earns his incentives.

There is no room for a 30 year old RB unless he gets released and takes a resonable contract. The Vikings say they have no intention on cutting him and Peterson says he wants his money.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
They're already bringing in Gordon for a pre-draft visit, they obviously liked what they saw on his film.

Some of you are way too fixated on this AP thing. I understand it seems like a dream scenario, but think about it for a bit: Rookie with a ton of upside on rookie contract, or 30 year old RB asking for money we wouldn't give a 27 year old RB coming off a 1,800 rush season?

AP isn't coming to Dallas unless he gives us a major discount. Familiarize yourself with Gurley, Gordon, and Coleman some more.

Just because someone is brought in does not mean he is going to be drafted. He could very well be a smokescreen to the other teams. As for fixation go anywhere; nfl.com, google, yahoo, thefootballeducater, etc etc......99.95% of ALL these articles agree on the same thing....w/o AP the cowboys are still going to be a very good playoff caliber team next year BUT with AP the cowboys are LEGIT SB contenders....that alone is something as a life long fan to fixate on....either way it isn't going to change how i live my life or root for my team...as for your list of RBs I would be happy with Coleman and/or Johnson along with AP...until all this plays out we "fixaters" have every right to be excited about the potential of having the best RB in football on this team...

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Romo was restructured so Dallas could pay for McClains new contract, the draft picks, the last 52-53 players on the roster, and to pay for Hardy as he earns his incentives.

There is no room for a 30 year old RB unless he gets released and takes a resonable contract. The Vikings say they have no intention on cutting him and Peterson says he wants his money.

I respect your opinion and clearly mine is different...this team does in fact have room.

erod

Reaction score
Arguing for a salary cap makes sound business sense. A cap provides revenue and expense controls. However, Jerry Jones has demonstrated many times that he is willing to invest in large contracts. He is not cheap in regards to overall player salaries.

He showed that pre-salary cap. Since then, he likes most any owner.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Just because someone is brought in does not mean he is going to be drafted. He could very well be a smokescreen to the other teams. As for fixation go anywhere; nfl.com, google, yahoo, thefootballeducater, etc etc......99.95% of ALL these articles agree on the same thing....w/o AP the cowboys are still going to be a very good playoff caliber team next year BUT with AP the cowboys are LEGIT SB contenders....that alone is something as a life long fan to fixate on....either way it isn't going to change how i live my life or root for my team...as for your list of RBs I would be happy with Coleman and/or Johnson along with AP...until all this plays out we "fixaters" have every right to be excited about the potential of having the best RB in football on this team...

Are you seriously telling me to go by those sites? Listen, AP + Dallas Cowboys' rumors = clicks/views. Take the most popular RB in the league and attach his name to the most popular franchise, and everyone gets excited.

And smokescreen? Who are they trying to blind here? That makes no sense. That's not even a strategy. All they'd be doing is wasting a pre-draft visit. Them looking at Gordon tells us they are interested in taking an RB in the draft.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
I suspect the signing of DMc mean we will look for a complementary back who is know as a blocker and pass catcher in college....and we will find that player in the 3rd-4th round. Gurley and Gordon come at a high price,(27)which will include passing on the best pass rusher or Corner available at 27.McFadden-Ajayi-Ryan W. sounds like a winning RB by committee to me.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I suspect the signing of DMc mean we will look for a complementary back who is know as a blocker and pass catcher in college....and we will find that player in the 3rd-4th round. Gurley and Gordon come at a high price,(27)which will include passing on the best pass rusher or Corner available at 27.McFadden-Ajayi-Ryan W. sounds like a winning RB by committee to me.

McFadden was brought in to be our change-of-pace back, Stephen and Jerry aren't dumb enough to think he's our starter. If Gordon or Gurley is there at 27, they will be the BPA (From professional scouting standpoint. I don't like Gurley at all).

And there hasn't been a single thing that has indicated to me we'll be drafting another CB in the first. We have Carr, Scandrick, Claiborne, and that other CB we signed (Name escapes me).I don't see Carr being released this offseason.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Are you seriously telling me to go by those sites? Listen, AP + Dallas Cowboys' rumors = clicks/views. Take the most popular RB in the league and attach his name to the most popular franchise, and everyone gets excited.

And smokescreen? Who are they trying to blind here? That makes no sense. That's not even a strategy. All they'd be doing is wasting a pre-draft visit. Them looking at Gordon tells us they are interested in taking an RB in the draft.

Ok read what Eatman, Cowlishaw, etc etc etc...man the list is long...Many people outside of this board are writing about the very real possibility of AP being a member of the Cowboys...
Are you aware the Charges, Cardinals both need a RB? Are you aware it was reported this morning the Falcons are considering Gurley with their first pick? If that happens do you honestly think Gordon will still be there at the 27th slot? You could also see a scenerio where Gurley/Gordon are picked by the aftermentioned teams picking before the cowboys?

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

True there is a feeding frenzy on this story. But it was started with AP himself.....He asked Jerry, if he could come here!!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Ok read what Eatman, Cowlishaw, etc etc etc...man the list is long...Many people outside of this board are writing about the very real possibility of AP being a member of the Cowboys...
Are you aware the Charges, Cardinals both need a RB? Are you aware it was reported this morning the Falcons are considering Gurley with their first pick? If that happens do you honestly think Gordon will still be there at the 27th slot? You could also see a scenerio where Gurley/Gordon are picked by the aftermentioned teams picking before the cowboys?

Who cares what Eatman or Cowlishaw says? First off, these same people have reported we are not in the running for AP. So, it's not a VERY REAL possibility, you just want it to be. Does that mean it won't happen? No, but as of now, Peterson is still with the Vikings.

And yes, what a surprise, other teams brought in a top RB for a visit? And the Cardinals have bigger issues than RB.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
True there is a feeding frenzy on this story. But it was started with AP himself.....He asked Jerry, if he could come here!!

Wants here so bad that he won't come for a bargain price (He and his agent have already said this). And he and Jones had a phone call last year, and people exaggerated what Peterson said. The other source is Jason Cole saying Peterson told the Vikings he wants to play for Dallas, that is not set in stone.

Do I think Peterson would come here? Sure. If we offer the same as every other team that bids on him. But he'll go to the team who offers him the best contract, and that won't be us.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Who cares what Eatman or Cowlishaw says? First off, these same people have reported we are not in the running for AP. So, it's not a VERY REAL possibility, you just want it to be. Does that mean it won't happen? No, but as of now, Peterson is still with the Vikings.

And yes, what a surprise, other teams brought in a top RB for a visit? And the Cardinals have bigger issues than RB.

.....Ugh...I posted what Cowlishaw wrote in this thread ealier..yes he is a Viking and may remain a Viking...however with NFL, espn, foxsports, business insider, well respected beat reportes, and radio podcasts ALL reporting every day this may very well happen proves without a doubt this subject is at the very least news worthy...on a different note are you a cubs fan....

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
McFadden was brought in to be our change-of-pace back, Stephen and Jerry aren't dumb enough to think he's our starter. If Gordon or Gurley is there at 27, they will be the BPA (From professional scouting standpoint. I don't like Gurley at all).

And there hasn't been a single thing that has indicated to me we'll be drafting another CB in the first. We have Carr, Scandrick, Claiborne, and that other CB we signed (Name escapes me).I don't see Carr being released this offseason.

Really? Why did they keep Dunbar than?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
.....Ugh...I posted what Cowlishaw wrote in this thread ealier..yes he is a Viking and may remain a Viking...however with NFL, espn, foxsports, business insider, well respected beat reportes, and radio podcasts ALL reporting every day this may very well happen proves without a doubt this subject is at the very least news worthy...on a different note are you a cubs fan....

Again, it's newsworthy because AP and Dallas Cowboys are popular and it gets sites views, that is all. It's offseason talk. Also, the article Cowlishaw wrote about Romo's restructure showed he jumped the gun on why it happened. There is a far more logical reason, and it's most likely correct, why we restructured Romo's contract. Instead, he went the sensationalist route.

These rumors of this "very real" scenario of AP coming to Dallas is based off that ridiculous, out of context phone call he had last offseason with Jerry Jones. Then you have Jason Cole saying he wants to come to Dallas, that is all, no true source; just that he's an "insider".

You can be excited about AP coming here and expect that, me? There's a draft coming up with some solid prospects, I'll see what happens there and I'm sure I'll be right about us taking an RB in the first or second round.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Can you direct me to this direct quote?

I've seen this claim made loosely before, with no evidence to support it.

Thanks in advance!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Really? Why did they keep Dunbar than?

How is this even a point? Why would we cut him already? We haven't had the draft, and Dunbar is still going to be on the bubble fighting for third string with Randle, Williams, and UDFAs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tim Cowlishaw joined the Dan Patrick Show on Thursday. Here are some highlights.

Is Adrian Peterson twice as good as DeMarco Murray, because you're gonna be paying him twice as much if you get him?

Tim Cowlishaw: No. But they think he's better and I think they believe they would have been upset with themselves if they had signed to take DeMarco Murray back, knowing he's bound to decline because they rode him into the ground last year - he had 497 touches if you count the playoffs - when they might have had a shot at Peterson. So it doesn't matter that he might not be twice as good. It matters that they won one playoff game with DeMarco Murray. Could they win two or three with Peterson? That's what they're hoping for.

What's the likelihood the Cowboys are all-in for Adrian Peterson and what's it going to cost them down the road?

Tim Cowlishaw: I think it's beyond wishful thinking now. I think it's a real deal. I think all these signs point to them trying to make this happen if it can. I don't think you would do all this restructuring and one-year deal on Greg Hardy, which is just a rental, and a one-year deal on Rolando McClain if you're gonna have Darren McFadden running the ball for you next year in this offense. They're all in. Now it's gonna depend on convincing the Vikings and the people with the Vikings who might wanna move on from Peterson. Cause I think Zimmer would like to keep him around, but I'm not sure everybody would like to keep him around, and not at almost $15 million a year.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Again, it's newsworthy because AP and Dallas Cowboys are popular and it gets sites views, that is all. It's offseason talk. Also, the article Cowlishaw wrote about Romo's restructure showed he jumped the gun on why it happened. There is a far more logical reason, and it's most likely correct, why we restructured Romo's contract. Instead, he went the sensationalist route.

These rumors of this "very real" scenario of AP coming to Dallas is based off that ridiculous, out of context phone call he had last offseason with Jerry Jones. Then you have Jason Cole saying he wants to come to Dallas, that is all, no true source; just that he's an "insider".

You can be excited about AP coming here and expect that, me? There's a draft coming up with some solid prospects, I'll see what happens there and I'm sure I'll be right about us taking an RB in the first or second round.

Hey I am just as excited about the draft as anybody...I also said if the cowboys dont select a rb in the first three rounds then that is a sure sign something is in the works with AP. With Gordon and Gurley most likely off the board their will no longer be a RB worth the first pick with top D players still sitting there. Yes the reason it is "news worthy" because it is a very real possibility....

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Tim Cowlishaw joined the Dan Patrick Show on Thursday. Here are some highlights.

Is Adrian Peterson twice as good as DeMarco Murray, because you're gonna be paying him twice as much if you get him?

Tim Cowlishaw: No. But they think he's better and I think they believe they would have been upset with themselves if they had signed to take DeMarco Murray back, knowing he's bound to decline because they rode him into the ground last year - he had 497 touches if you count the playoffs - when they might have had a shot at Peterson. So it doesn't matter that he might not be twice as good. It matters that they won one playoff game with DeMarco Murray. Could they win two or three with Peterson? That's what they're hoping for.

What's the likelihood the Cowboys are all-in for Adrian Peterson and what's it going to cost them down the road?

Tim Cowlishaw: I think it's beyond wishful thinking now. I think it's a real deal. I think all these signs point to them trying to make this happen if it can. I don't think you would do all this restructuring and one-year deal on Greg Hardy, which is just a rental, and a one-year deal on Rolando McClain if you're gonna have Darren McFadden running the ball for you next year in this offense. They're all in. Now it's gonna depend on convincing the Vikings and the people with the Vikings who might wanna move on from Peterson. Cause I think Zimmer would like to keep him around, but I'm not sure everybody would like to keep him around, and not at almost $15 million a year.

I think it's beyond wishful thinking now. I think it's a real deal.
^^^^hmmm^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.