Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
You talk like Murray was some superior athlete. Average talent, poor speed, poor quickness, and poor burst.

The oline made this dude. He was not all that. You and the eagles will find this out.

Agreed! I liked Murray, but he wasn't all that until the Cowboys decided that they were going to run the wheels off of him. And they did. Imagine what LeVeon Bell, a dude that is very underrated, could have gotten behind our O-line.

I hope we get one of those stud RB's in this year's draft.

coach steele

Reaction score
He certainly appeared to have lost his breakaway speed this past season. I think that's a fair point. But saying he has poor speed, poor burst, and poor quickness to me just feels like sour grapes because he left your football team.

Nobody accidentally rushes for 1,800 yards. The OL played a big factor. The Cowboys running game should be proficient in 2015. I don't think Murray was rushing for 1,800 here or elsewhere in 2015. But he isn't a minus-athlete either.

Agree. Here is the bottom line, he was an above average running back who the team ran into the ground (497 touches including the playoffs). They liked his intangibles such as leadership, hard running style, and blocking. However they didn't value it above 6 million per year, which is why he is no longer here. They still value the running game however and feel like there are other backs who could thrive behind our offensive line which is the best in the business at running the ball and only going to get better. They knew that we had a deep draft and that though good Murray was very much replaceable. He is an Eagle now, which means that I hate him (even though rationally I know he made the best buisiness decision for him and his family). Still I hope he has a terrible season and that him and Bradford are the best friends on a below .500 team. :)

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Good, not great. Tough to replace but not impossible given the quality of backs available in the 2015 draft.

If you want to talk health-wise, we can criticize Murray all day long.

And just "good" - He had one "down year" here with us, and that's when he got over 600 yards rushing and 250 yards receiving in 10 games back in 2012. Other than that? He racked up nearly 900 yards in 7 games back in his rookie season. In 2013, he had over 1,100 yards rushing with 300 yards receiving in 14 games when we kept taking the ball away from him.

If you want to relegate him to just "good" because of his healthy, fine go ahead. But when it comes to talent, he's a great back that was on pace to have big seasons 3 out of the 4 years he was with us.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
If you want to relegate him to just "good" because of his healthy, fine go ahead. But when it comes to talent, he's a great back that was on pace to have big seasons 3 out of the 4 years he was with us.

Problem is we'll never know because Murray missed almost an entire season of football (11 games) in his 4 years in Dallas. The guy only finished 2 full seasons of football in both college and the NFL. That's what makes him just a good back not elite.

JBS

Reaction score
Haha, and more people attempting to downplay how good Murray is.

Just stop. He was a great runner, a great receiver, and a decent pass blocker. Average runners don't get 1,800 yards rushing, I don't care how good an offensive line is.

Get a grip, Murray is going to be tough to replace, luckily this draft has a few good prospects.

Can you show me more than one example of Murray and his 4.37 speed on the football field?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Can you show me more than one example of Murray and his 4.37 speed on the football field?

I really don't care about his 40 time speed, I care more about stop and start speed that he specialized in. He was a patient back with us that could make a quick cut and burst through a hole. He was also a powerful runner that punished defenders and found ways to gain that extra 2-3 yards before going down.

Just a "good" back, get out of here. Some of you people have such ridiculous criticisms of players.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Why are some of us still crying about Murray? Get over it, folks. Maybe it was a bad choice but it's done and now the team is going with other talent at RB. I get the impression that most fans don't think that talent is already on the team. So where will that talent come from? Draft or free agency? Who will it be?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Why are some of us still crying about Murray? Get over it, folks. Maybe it was a bad choice but it's done and now the team is going with other talent at RB. I get the impression that most fans don't think that talent is already on the team. So where will that talent come from? Draft or free agency? Who will it be?

Talent at RB? No. We have a few change of pace backs, that's about it.

Personally, I'm not upset over us letting Murray go. I completely understand why we did, and I find it to be the right choice. However, I'll be far more realistic about the kind of back Murray is rather than harboring some irrational hatred or trying to convince myself we didn't let a great talent go.

Hardline

Reaction score
One thing is certain.
We will find out if anyone can run behind this offensive line this year like some of you are saying.

I give credit to Murray for as much of his great season as I do the offensive line.

Murray will be running behind another very good line in Philly. He will not get great numbers there because he will have a reduced roll.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Talent at RB? No. We have a few change of pace backs, that's about it.

Personally, I'm not upset over us letting Murray go. I completely understand why we did, and I find it to be the right choice. However, I'll be far more realistic about the kind of back Murray is rather than harboring some irrational hatred or trying to convince myself we didn't let a great talent go.

Fair enough. So we let a great talent go... what's the best way to fill that void? Draft or free agency?

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Agreed! I liked Murray, but he wasn't all that until the Cowboys decided that they were going to run the wheels off of him. And they did. Imagine what LeVeon Bell, a dude that is very underrated, could have gotten behind our O-line.

I hope we get one of those stud RB's in this year's draft.

He came on very strong in his rookie season. I don't understand the argument that he was only good last year. It seems as if people bash him just because he's gone.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
He came on very strong in his rookie season. I don't understand the argument that he was only good last year. It seems as if people bash him just because he's gone.

Until he got hurt yet again. He had one incredible season and some effective ones that he just couldn't stay healthy for. Maybe he could have been the next AP if he were to have stayed healthy. Problem is he never has except one season. He'll still be a good back in Philly but he won't produce a 2014 season there in that scheme.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Fair enough. So we let a great talent go... what's the best way to fill that void? Draft or free agency?

Since we may have a chance at a good RB in this draft, the draft of course. Gordon, Coleman, or Yeldon would fit perfectly into our offense.

FA is pretty much wiped clean at the RB position. Was hoping we'd take a chance on Ridley, but I guess the ACL and his fumbling issues (Blown out of proportion by Belichick, I think) scared us away.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Until he got hurt yet again. He had one incredible season and some effective ones that he just couldn't stay healthy for. Maybe he could have been the next AP if he were to have stayed healthy. Problem is he never has except one season. He'll still be a good back in Philly but he won't produce a 2014 season there in that scheme.

He was healthy for 14 games in 2013, he averaged over 5 yards a carry and could have had a much bigger season if we weren't so unbalanced with a pass happy offense.

And let's look at facts here, the dude broke his ankle in 2011. The only season that scared me with Murray was in 2012. If he had continually pulled hamstrings or strained muscles, I would have had far more concerns.

And this, "Well, we will never know!" - no, we do know. When he played a full 14-16 games a year, he went over 1,000 yards. If he played more in his rookie season, he would have had over 1,000 yards easily. Instead, we gave the ball to fat Felix.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
He was healthy for 14 games in 2013, he averaged over 5 yards a carry and could have had a much bigger season if we weren't so unbalanced with a pass happy offense.

And let's look at facts here, the dude broke his ankle in 2011. The only season that scared me with Murray was in 2012. If he had continually pulled hamstrings or strained muscles, I would have had far more concerns.

And this, "Well, we will never know!" - no, we do know. When he played a full 14-16 games a year, he went over 1,000 yards. If he played more in his rookie season, he would have had over 1,000 yards easily. Instead, we gave the ball to fat Felix.

I'm not arguing that he was a productive back. He was extremely productive. He just can't stay healthy THAT IS A FACT. That fact is a big reason the Cowboys let him walk plain and simple.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score

He wI'll never be AP, I will agree there. AP is a special athlete. However, I think people forget what Demarco did in his rookie season. He's definitely injury prone whether it's bad luck or not is the question. You can't blame him for the ankle. He will be a good player for Philly. I just dislike it when I see people putting down his ability because we have a great line. It obviously helps any player but he deserves some recognition as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.