Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
First off, we tendered Lance Dunbar to a one year deal, something we can easily get out of. You're also forgetting that our second string RB last year continues to get into off-the-field issues and even when we draft an RB, there's all of camp for these RBs to compete.

;Every one of these RBs will be "competing for the starting spot", but if you think a talented rookie RB isn't in our plans for the draft; you're kidding yourself. McFadden is valuable depth due to a boneheaded, big mouth RB still being on our roster. They don't trust Randle, and for good reason.

Last year they kept three RBs active Murray, Randle, and Dunbar. This year I would expect the same TBD ( AP or Draft Pick), DMAC, Dunbar.....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not here to do your homework for you.
I took 5 seconds and found this http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/write...ikes-badly-but-how-much-is-he-willing-to-lose

Peterson's agent is very greedy and mentions how other backs have gotten paid so it's only fair for the best to be paid also.

Thanks for providing an article containing speculation from Washington Commanders guy Jason LaConfora containing exactly zero direct quotes from either Peterson or his agent.

And yet somehow this equates to "Peterson has said he wants his money"....

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
First off, we tendered Lance Dunbar to a one year deal, something we can easily get out of. You're also forgetting that our second string RB last year continues to get into off-the-field issues and even when we draft an RB, there's all of camp for these RBs to compete.

;Every one of these RBs will be "competing for the starting spot", but if you think a talented rookie RB isn't in our plans for the draft; you're kidding yourself. McFadden is valuable depth due to a boneheaded, big mouth RB still being on our roster. They don't trust Randle, and for good reason.

You keep adding things to your argument to make yourself look right. Thank's for educating me on the state of the Cowboys RB position. :thumbup:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I guess you missed the part were we re-signed him this off-season. I guess I don't get why they brought in McFadden in to be the COP guy if they already re-signed Dunbar who by all accounts the coaches like.

Maybe I'm confused but McFadden was brought in to compete for starting role and the low salary gives the Cowboys an easy out if he shows no promise in camp.

The Cowboys had to sign someone after losing Murray. We may be looking at a 3 back rotation next season if someone doesn't emerge who can carry most of the load so everyone from Dunbar to Randle has to be kept in the fold. McFadden was brought in to contribute we'll just have to see where he fits in this summer. The Cowboys are hoping they get their bell cow in the draft but right now they need to hang on to their resources. As for Dunbar I don't think the Cowboys are that high on him he only saw one carry in a meaningless game vs Washington and never got a single touch in the playoffs but they need him around until they figure out what they're going to do at RB next season.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I mean, Randle is being accused of domestic violence. Not a bad idea at all to be tendering Dunbar.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Thanks for providing an article containing speculation from Washington Commanders guy Jason LaConfora containing exactly zero direct quotes from either Peterson or his agent.

There aren't any direct quotes from Adrian Peterson about what he wants.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

You know Stash the one quote you can find is Peterson saying he would redo his current deal for the right team:)

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
The Cowboys had to sign someone after losing Murray. We may be looking at a 3 back rotation next season if someone doesn't emerge who can carry most of the load so everyone from Dunbar to Randle has to be kept in the fold. McFadden was brought in to contribute we'll just have to see where he fits in this summer. The Cowboys are hoping they get their bell cow in the draft but right now they need to hang on to their resources. As for Dunbar I don't think the Cowboys are that high on him he only saw one carry in a meaningless game vs Washington and never got a single touch in the playoffs but they need him around until they figure out what they're going to do at RB next season.

Exactly my point. Except, everything I hear or have read is the Cowboys love Dunbar and what he brings to the table.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You keep adding things to your argument to make yourself look right. Thank's for educating me on the state of the Cowboys RB position. :thumbup:

I'm not adding anything onto it. McFadden is not being brought in as a starting RB, our coaching staff isn't dumb enough to believe this guy is finally going to stay healthy in his career and become a workhorse. They know this, us fans know this; why the hell would he be here for a starting job? There's a draft plan, there are 6 RBs in this draft that are considered first day starting RBs, we'll have a chance at at least one of them.

IF we somehow manage to go through the draft without an RB, it becomes a running back by committee approach because not a single RB on our roster right now is a workhorse. If you want to go by what it's going to say on paper to help yourself feel right, then fine, go ahead. But McFadden is a role player, at best.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
I'm not adding anything onto it. McFadden is not being brought in as a starting RB, our coaching staff isn't dumb enough to believe this guy is finally going to stay healthy in his career and become a workhorse. They know this, us fans know this; why the hell would he be here for a starting job? There's a draft plan, there are 6 RBs in this draft that are considered first day starting RBs, we'll have a chance at at least one of them.

IF we somehow manage to go through the draft without an RB, it becomes a running back by committee approach because not a single RB on our roster right now is a workhorse. If you want to go by what it's going to say on paper to help yourself feel right, then fine, go ahead. But McFadden is a role player, at best.

Who said he's gonna be our starting rb? He's been brought in to be a committee guy with upside. Some combination of this DP, DMac, Dunbar or AP, DMac, Dunbar

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And thats a strong argument too. Its not like I don't think that strategy has no chance,,,,it might work.

I do think its a significant risk, going into a season when you have Super Bowl aspirations, depending on a rookie. Or for our OLine to be the most dominant oline in history and resurrect the careers of DMF and Williams.... randle and dunbar cant carry the load. So, now your talking about RBBC which changes are offensive identity,,,,,, Like I said, it might work?

But, if there is the slight chance of getting AP signed for 2 or 3 years. I take it and dont look back,

My window is Romos window. And I give Romo 2, maybe 3 years. I am doing whatever we have to do , to push for making a SB in that window. Getting AP instead of a rookie, is the move to make.

But maybe thats not the Strategy? Maybe there are other things in play guiding the FO and Dallas Cowboys? Maybe they are sacrificing the RB position in order to spend money on the Defense and field a more balanced team, and they believe thats the way to get into the SB in the next 2-3 years? I disagree with that strategy, but no one cares what I think! lol.

The Cowboys took a huge risk allowing Murray to walk with the team finally getting over the 8-8 hump and becoming a legit contender. Jerry made his mind up he wasn't going to pay a lot for an RB and is willing to gamble on the draft to find another solid one. This could all blow up in his face and end up putting the team back to where it was struggling at 500 we'll just have to wait and see. One thing is clear from watching last season the Cowboys need a strong running game to be successful. The running game made Romo better and the defense better by averaging 12 plays less per game due to the Cowboys controlling the ball. The theme on this board is that just about any back can have success behind the Cowboys OL I guess we'll find out next season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Exactly my point. Except, everything I hear or have read is the Cowboys love Dunbar and what he brings to the table.

I go by what I see not what I hear and it appeared the Cowboys were fazing Dunbar out late last season. With Murray gone that may change some things and give him more of an opportunity we'll just have to see. He did do more in the passing game last season so maybe that will an area he'll be used more in if he makes the team.

Moderately_Askew

Heelsboy
Reaction score

Just like you are providing speculation from hacks like Cowlishaw. Funny how that works.

At least I have quotes to work with.

I am sure his agent is running wild with no imput from Peterson.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Two different types of backs and one has no effect on the other. Randle is a two down back and Dunbar is a 3rd down scat back. Dunbar was tendered because of his specific skillset.

No, we hope Dunbar will be a "scatback", we barely utilize him to know what the hell he is on gameday. We apparently had plays written specifically for him, but those never came to fruition.

But the coaching staff is keeping an eye on the Randle situation, if things go south for him, we might not even have him come week one. I'd say it's more likely Dunbar was tendered because of the Randle situation than anything, and yes, because we were down to two RBs once Murray left for Philly.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
No, we hope Dunbar will be a "scatback", we barely utilize him to know what the hell he is on gameday. We apparently had plays written specifically for him, but those never came to fruition.

But the coaching staff is keeping an eye on the Randle situation, if things go south for him, we might not even have him come week one. I'd say it's more likely Dunbar was tendered because of the Randle situation than anything, and yes, because we were down to two RBs once Murray left for Philly.

Huh....I could have sworn I remember seeing Dunbar catching passes and in games throughout last year...must have him confused with the Jo Lunn Dunbar of the Rams...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just like you are providing speculation from hacks like Cowlishaw. Funny how that works.

At least I have quotes to work with.

I am sure his agent is running wild with no imput from Peterson.

What quotes do you have to work with?!?!?

That article you showed us all has exactly zero from him or his agent. But somehow that article is fact for you?

:huh:

Moderately_Askew

Heelsboy
Reaction score
What quotes do you have to work with?!?!?

That article you showed us all has exactly zero from him or his agent. But somehow that article is fact for you?

:huh:

Did you read the article? It specifically mentions what the agent said. Of course you could spend more than the 5seconds I took looking for that article to see what his agent has been saying all along.

You are now just deflecting since you have nothing to work with.

khiladi

Reaction score
Don't kid yourself. Jerry argued long and hard for that cap because it gives owners the excuse they need not to sign players to NBA and MLB contract numbers.

I wish they'd raise the cap to $150 million per team, but make it a hard cap. Simple math, none of this upfront money restructured to create room nonsense.

To not be considered cheap does not mean one is extravagant or a fool with money.

Status
Not open for further replies.