Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I don't think he cares what the Vikings can get for him. He just knows not many teams are willing to pay what it would take for the Vikings to give him up. Its just a lot of posturing. He knows he is under contract to the Vikings, he knows that they owe him money. Other than that, he doesn't really care. He isn't going to take a 7-9 million dollar pay cut to play for the Cowboys or anyone else.

This is just my opinion, but I think that the Vikings want him to take a pay cut too. Despite the public company line baloney about "we want Adrian back", I think they want him to take a pay cut too. I think the subject has been brought up by both sides and he's basically told them to release him, which they don't want to do.

And he wants to play elsewhere, which is why they're at this current impasse.

I think it ends at the draft when the Vikings cut their losses and get something for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. Its not. He is 30 years old. I would not want to pay almost 9 million dollars a year for a 30 year old RB, no matter what his name is. Plus, how much would be guaranteed? That is a real sticking point, as well.

I think at least the $13 million he's already due to make this year. Year 3 of the deal is basically a funny miney year when the Cowboys pay the piper for a player they likely no longer have. Much like where they end up with Romo's deal.

But it's a price I'm willing to pay for a chance at a championship before their window closes in 2-3 years.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think AP would have a good year here. Probably anywhere between 1300-1800 yards. I don't think he would have 2000+ simply because I believe Garrett's intention is for the RB position to be more of a committee this year, with McFadden, Randle or Williams getting a fairly significant number of carries.

I don't want AP here for a couple of reasons, however. First, I don't want the Cowboys to have to give up big money and a draft pick. If they can get him here without giving up the draft pick, I wouldn't mind. Secondly, I do worry about how a year lay off for a 30 year old back would impact his ability. He may be the same old AP but there is a chance, however minute it might be, that he is not in football shape and will not be the same AP we have seen in the past. A year older and a year out of football scares me a little bit.

The year out of football is a plus as far as I see it.

Peterson being out of shape isn't something I worry about. His year out of football is different than Ros

burmafrd

Reaction score
No. Its not. He is 30 years old. I would not want to pay almost 9 million dollars a year for a 30 year old RB, no matter what his name is. Plus, how much would be guaranteed? That is a real sticking point, as well.

so now that you got owned as regards football condition its all about money? Talk about moving the goal posts.

We get it. You don't want him and keep coming up with feeble excuses.

if you bothered to look you would find several accounts about how he is keeping in shape.
And that rust for a RB means nothing.
And that he has a chip on his shoulder which means a fair amount.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I think that the Vikings want him to take a pay cut too. Despite the public company line baloney about "we want Adrian back", I think they want him to take a pay cut too. I think the subject has been brought up by both sides and he's basically told them to release him, which they don't want to do.

And he wants to play elsewhere, which is why they're at this current impasse.

I think it ends at the draft when the Vikings cut their losses and get something for him.

I can envision a scenario that Minny might be exploring, whereupon Gurley falls to Dallas, and they've already talked trade in that event.

They may be willing to do a straight swap, and let Dallas worry about renegotiating AD's contract.

I still don't think I'd be in favor of that --- trading away a guy that could be special for many years and starting cheap, vs getting a HOFer that might be special for 1 or 2 yrs for a fairly high price.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I can envision a scenario that Minny might be exploring, whereupon Gurley falls to Dallas, and they've already talked trade in that event.

They may be willing to do a straight swap, and let Dallas worry about renegotiating AD's contract.

I still don't think I'd be in favor of that --- trading away a guy that could be special for many years and starting cheap, vs getting a HOFer that might be special for 1 or 2 yrs for a fairly high price.

There will be a guy in next years draft that could be special for many years too. and the next draft and the next.....

I have a problem with the FO not "pushing" for a Super Bowl within Romos window.

To me, relying on a draft pick, and DMF to get us there, is not pushing for a SB. Can it happen? I suppose. But its like they are "hoping" it will happen in Romos time, instead of making a real investment and risk to push for a SB in Romos time...

Now, if they are "hoping" for a SB in Romos time, but are planning long-term, then yeah, take the rookie and hope he develops into something special. But I would think they would need to start developing a legitimate franchise QB, soon. Very soon. Unless they are going to rely on a QB that happens to be a FA when Romo isn't here anymore....

The Cowboys are NOT a rebuilding project. They are a Super Bowl contender....You dont go into a season with Super Bowl aspirations, depending on someone you pick up in the draft......?!?! The Seahawks paid Lynch for this very reason. The Packers paid Cobb, picked up Peppers....The Cardinals are going to make a play for AP.....because all those teams recognize, they have good teams, right now!

Maybe they really do beleive Romo will be the same QB 3 , 4 years from now and be able to play.

imho, thats a bad bet.

Last edited:

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I agree with your line of thought, but that special RB in the draft has a slim chance of being there when a playoff caliber team picks. This may be the year that Gurley falls to #27, we have him ranked much higher than that, and there's no one else available who we have ranked that high.
The draft may come to us, then Minny comes calling (because they also realize the great value), and then we have that decision to make.

I can see the logic of going with AD in that instance if he will play for 8-9 mil, but I'd personally rather make the more conservative pick, and stay with youth. I know AD has been terrific, but 30 yo RB's are more likely to be injured than 22 yo's.

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...peterson-to-meet-with-nfl-about-reinstatement

Adrian Peterson to meet with NFL about reinstatement

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said at last month's NFL Annual Meeting that he was still awaiting clarity from the league before he could move forward with star running back Adrian Peterson.

He will be getting his wish soon.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Peterson will meet with the NFL on Tuesday to discuss reinstatement, per a source informed of the situation.

The meeting is ahead of schedule for Peterson, who was supposed to be eligible for reinstatement on April 15.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I agree with your line of thought, but that special RB in the draft has a slim chance of being there when a playoff caliber team picks. This may be the year that Gurley falls to #27, we have him ranked much higher than that, and there's no one else available who we have ranked that high.
The draft may come to us, then Minny comes calling (because they also realize the great value), and then we have that decision to make.

I can see the logic of going with AD in that instance if he will play for 8-9 mil, but I'd personally rather make the more conservative pick, and stay with youth. I know AD has been terrific, but 30 yo RB's are more likely to be injured than 22 yo's.

And thats a strong argument to. Although I think Gurley is coming off a ACL? Injuries are so unoredictable....AP is 30 , but on the flip side he has proven to be durable in the NFL. Maybe Gurley is another Lee? Body cant hold up in the NFL? Maybe not....?

The draft is so unpredictable... And although I understand all the pros of going with the cheap option and hoping we hit in the draft and that the rookie and DMF can be "good enough" for us to be competitive this upcoming year, I would pay for AP and try to push the entire team and franchise over the hump of 20 years of losing...(minus last year!:) Were so close..... Romo is getting old...

We have built this team around Romo and that offense. We finally became of competitive team by having a great running attack. We drafted all those Offensive lineman, we have Dez...Witten.

And now were going to turn around and hand over the drivers seat to......a rookie? DMF?

Doesn't really give me much confidence in trying to push for a SB....??

I would give up that 1st rounder. For AP. Just to have AP for 2 , maybe 3 years.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I keep saying the same things...:) I will stop. I have some time so I am bored,

I really do feel like, a chance like this, doesn't come around too often.

And these other teams winning super bowls do it. They pick Moss and Revis, Peppers, Graham, Harvin, etc etc, high risk FAs, when they are trying to make a run.....

I agree overall with the new RKG, youth, low cost, low risk model the Cowboys are using. I agree 100% But there are situations when it does make sense to take a huge risk. I think this is one of them

I give up that first rounder; Because I think thats what its going to take. But if we can wait it out, and get him after the draft.....all the better...

I am also guessing AP/AD will also take a pay cut. No, we have to pay him more then 5, 6 mil...so we will have to come up a little. But I think its all doable....

I dont get the people who say its a "pipe dream".... I think there is a legit scenario that brings AP/AD to Dallas....I have no idea if it happens, but it seems viable.

AZ_Cowboys_Fan

Reaction score
The year out of football is a plus as far as I see it.

Peterson being out of shape isn't something I worry about. His year out of football is different than Ros

Exactly... why aren't more people saying this? People are worried about the wear and tear on a 30 year old RB.... understood, but he had an entire year off. He should be fresh and ready to roll.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...peterson-to-meet-with-nfl-about-reinstatement

Adrian Peterson to meet with NFL about reinstatement

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said at last month's NFL Annual Meeting that he was still awaiting clarity from the league before he could move forward with star running back Adrian Peterson.

He will be getting his wish soon.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Peterson will meet with the NFL on Tuesday to discuss reinstatement, per a source informed of the situation.

The meeting is ahead of schedule for Peterson, who was supposed to be eligible for reinstatement on April 15.

Why do I have the feeling this meeting is going to be another that ends up not going very well for AD?

phildadon86

Reaction score
People are forgetting one major thing. Earlier this season Jerry and Stephen both went on record to say they are to blame for Romo not having a ring because they didn't surround him with talent that could get him there. In my opinion that's very telling as to us making a move for AP

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do I have the feeling this meeting is going to be another that ends up not going very well for AD?

I would disagree with that. I think he's getting reinstated, and maybe a week early than the April 15th Goodell talked about. The NFL has already lost once in court trying to further punish him. I can't expect them to mess around and end up right back in court again.

I think the legal system is getting tired of dealing with all of the situations the NFL is mishandling and if they don't get their act together, they'll be looking at another bunch of politicians getting in their business about how to run things.

joseephuss

Reaction score
.AP is 30 , but on the flip side he has proven to be durable in the NFL.

Peterson has played all 16 games in a season 3 times during his 7 year career(not counting 2014). He has gone over 350 rushing attempts in a season only 2 times and over 300 rushing attempts in a season only 3 times. He averages 290 rushing attempts per season. Durable is a relative term. Compared to some of the elite running backs in NFL history, Peterson's rushing attempt numbers are not durable.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Peterson has played all 16 games in a season 3 times during his 7 year career(not counting 2014). He has gone over 350 rushing attempts in a season only 2 times and over 300 rushing attempts in a season only 3 times. He averages 290 rushing attempts per season. Durable is a relative term. Compared to some of the elite running backs in NFL history, Peterson's rushing attempt numbers are not durable.

That is surprising..... Maybe because Minny was behind for a lot of the games? Trying to save him for the duration of his contract? I dunno?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The Seahawks paid Lynch for this very reason. The Packers paid Cobb, picked up Peppers....The Cardinals are going to make a play for AP.....because all those teams recognize, they have good teams, right now!.

The Pats picked up Blount.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
The Pats picked up Blount.

The Pats. They let this guy go in FA to Pitts, declining to pay him a big contract, he gets beat out by Bell, quits, and then they pick him back up for vet min i think? I think Blount lost at least a million in that move...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Actually I think this is Peterson getting reinstated so he can get traded...........its hard to trade a guy on the Commishioner's Exempt List, he needs to be reinstated and good to go for Minny to start fielding offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.