Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Over the Cap has us at 14.2m and Spotrac has us at 14.6m

Neither has anything on McClain yet and they are both counting Hardy at 3.2m

Hardy WILL count another 580k per game which gets paid for and added to the cap weekly after Week 2. They need to keep another 8m available for Hardy's contract.

Add the 8m for Hardy, the 3m for McClain and 2m for the draft and that equals 13m. That would only leave a 1-2m cushion.

If they want to add Peterson they need to create a lot more space.

They can get 3m if the restructure Witten
They can get 4m if they restructure or pay cut Carr
They can get 8m if they May 12th cut Carr
They can get 5-7m if they extend Dez long term
They can get 3m if they cut Dunbar and CJones

Cut Carr if you cant sign Dez long term. restructure Witten. I would give our 1st for AP, but we may be able to let it go until after the Draft and wait until AP is cut by minny...?
if he isnt cut, we go with....what we got, a rookie, and maybe some other june1st cut...?

Having AP in Dallas, if he becomes available, is the right move. Every move is a gamble. But I would gamble on AP compared to anything else.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
You don't know what we are getting with AP. He is 30 years old and a year removed from playing a single down. Is he in football shape? We don't know.

Well. I am going to guess and say.....He passes the physical..:)

So you want to give up two draft picks for a RB now? One for AP and one for another RB later? When we need defensive help? Really?

Sign AP, and you can go all defense in the draft! And to be honest, I don't like any of our RBs. None of them. So, I would be inclined to draft one in the later rounds.

DMF, Randle, Dunbar, Williams. I don't like any of these options.... Randle as a change up back I like, but the guy is borderline trouble.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No. I do not. I just don't think its worth a premium draft pick or two and a big contract to find out.

You either pay for a RB with money OR you use a high draft pick, but you definitely don't do both.

They showed with Murray they aren't real keen on spending a lot of money on a vet back, so Peterson would have to give a heck of a discount to come to Dallas. Something like playing for 5-6m a year.

At this point I would rather go with Gurley if he is there or Coleman, Yeldon or Ajayi later.

esloan

Reaction score
Well. I am going to guess and say.....He passes the physical..:)

Sign AP, and you can go all defense in the draft! And to be honest, I don't like any of our RBs. None of them. So, I would be inclined to draft one in the later rounds.

DMF, Randle, Dunbar, Williams. I don't like any of these options.... Randle as a change up back I like, but the guy is borderline trouble.

There is a huge difference between passing the physical and being in football shape after a year layoff. AP would cost us a large contract and draft picks, possibly multiple draft picks. Give me a rookie RB and then spend the other draft picks on defense.

Crad|e

Reaction score
Please dont use his physical shape as a con against taking him. He was training for track during his off time, hes still AD. Actually AD with a chip on his shoulder.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
There is a huge difference between passing the physical and being in football shape after a year layoff. AP would cost us a large contract and draft picks, possibly multiple draft picks. Give me a rookie RB and then spend the other draft picks on defense.

I seriously doubt AP is not in football shape. and it wouldnt take long to get him into football shape.

I am basing all my opinions on this issue under the 2 year window we have with Romo at QB. Maybe 3 years.....

I dont see Romo playing football 4 years from now...... And if we miss his Window......then I think were done, as far as any Super Bowl push is concerned for at least a few more years....and thats if were lucky and get our next franchise QB with our first try.....

We have a chance at AP for those 2-3 years. Why not try and get him?
Now, if he wasnt available, then sure.....go with a rookie. But he is. He will be. He will be available..... And I see it as an opportunity that doesn't present itself very often, for any team in professional sports.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I seriously doubt AP is not in football shape. and it wouldnt take long to get him into football shape.

I am basing all my opinions on this issue under the 2 year window we have with Romo at QB. Maybe 3 years.....

I dont see Romo playing football 4 years from now...... And if we miss his Window......then I think were done, as far as any Super Bowl push is concerned for at least a few more years....and thats if were lucky and get our next franchise QB with our first try.....

We have a chance at AP for those 2-3 years. Why not try and get him?
Now, if he wasnt available, then sure.....go with a rookie. But he is. He will be. He will be available..... And I see it as an opportunity that doesn't present itself very often, for any team in professional sports.

http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings...-workout-partner-adrian-peterson-great-shape/

It says he's squatting 500 lbs like its nothing. Sounds good to me.

esloan

Reaction score
Squatting =/= football shape.

No one is arguing that he is not in football shape just that they rather not spend big money or use premium draft picks to find out.

Correct. He may or may not be but I don't want to spend premium draft picks and owe big money for the next few years. All of you are hoping he will take a pay cut to play here and I think you are crazy for thinking that. Why would he take a pay cut when he knows it will probably be the last contract he ever signs in the NFL. He is a 30 year old RB, he does not have much time left. He is due 45 million dollars over the next 3 years, why would he cut that down to 5, 6 or even 7 million dollars a year? Knowing it is his final contract opportunity in the NFL. That makes no sense. Yes, playing for a championship is nice, playing for your favorite team is great but a 9 million dollar pay cut? Ridiculous and not gonna happen.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

No one is arguing that he is not in football shape just that they rather not spend big money or use premium draft picks to find out.

Actually people are arguing that he isn't in football shape. ....??

And I understand the trepidation about forking over draft picks. I get it. And the money too,,,, we have been burnt in the past. But this isn't Joey Galloway, RW.....

And i see this as a once in a decade or two opportunity.

Dallas isnt a rebuilding project. We are a few plays away from the SB.

And Romo(which really means the Dallas Cowboys) doesn't have time for the "potential of some draft

picks" to develop.

It is a perfect fit. For AP and for the 2015 version of the Dallas Cowboys.... Perfect Fit....

Thats is of course, if your trying to win a Super Bowl within the next 2 years.

After 20 years of nothing....its going to take a little extra ummph to beat the culture of losing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct. He may or may not be but I don't want to spend premium draft picks and owe big money for the next few years. All of you are hoping he will take a pay cut to play here and I think you are crazy for thinking that. Why would he take a pay cut when he knows it will probably be the last contract he ever signs in the NFL. He is a 30 year old RB, he does not have much time left. He is due 45 million dollars over the next 3 years, why would he cut that down to 5, 6 or even 7 million dollars a year? Knowing it is his final contract opportunity in the NFL. That makes no sense. Yes, playing for a championship is nice, playing for your favorite team is great but a 9 million dollar pay cut? Ridiculous and not gonna happen.

I would counter with this question for you.

If money was his sole motivation, why is he trying to get away from the team reportedly willing to pay him more than anyone else?

esloan

Reaction score
I would counter with this question for you.

If money was his sole motivation, why is he trying to get away from the team reportedly willing to pay him more than anyone else?

Because he knows that they are not likely to part with him for less than premium draft picks and if a trade option does come up, he still does not have to take a pay cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Esloan asked the question earlier in this thread:

You don't know what we are getting with AP. He is 30 years old and a year removed from playing a single down. Is he in football shape? We don't know.

But for the record, I'm not interested in going up a first rounder for him either.

esloan

Reaction score
Esloan asked the question earlier in this thread:

But for the record, I'm not interested in going up a first rounder for him either.

I wouldn't give more than a third rounder for him and he would have to take a big pay cut. A big pay cut. If he comes here under those circumstances, I am all for it but that ain't happening.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he knows that they are not likely to part with him for less than premium draft picks and if a trade option does come up, he still does not have to take a pay cut.

What does he care about what the Vikings get for him in a trade?! He wants out of Minnesota, not to do them any kind of favors. That makes no sense. Nobody is trading for his current contract. The Vikings don't want to pay it either, despite the "we want Adrian back" company line.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't give more than a third rounder for him and he would have to take a big pay cut. A big pay cut. If he comes here under those circumstances, I am all for it but that ain't happening.

Is 3 years $25 million enough of a paycut in your opinion?

esloan

Reaction score
What does he care about what the Vikings get for him in a trade?! He wants out of Minnesota, not to do them any kind of favors. That makes no sense. Nobody is trading for his current contract. The Vikings don't want to pay it either, despite the "we want Adrian back" company line.

No, I don't think he cares what the Vikings can get for him. He just knows not many teams are willing to pay what it would take for the Vikings to give him up. Its just a lot of posturing. He knows he is under contract to the Vikings, he knows that they owe him money. Other than that, he doesn't really care. He isn't going to take a 7-9 million dollar pay cut to play for the Cowboys or anyone else.

esloan

Reaction score
Is 3 years $25 million enough of a paycut in your opinion?

No. Its not. He is 30 years old. I would not want to pay almost 9 million dollars a year for a 30 year old RB, no matter what his name is. Plus, how much would be guaranteed? That is a real sticking point, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.