Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

evarc

Reaction score
Murray had similar production to last year from a proportional, percentage-based perspective throughout his career.

murray is a contract performer... in his entire college and pro football careers combined he only had 2 seasons he completed in every game... the year he entered the draft and last year his contract year. you must also take note that he was running behind the best oline in the nfl with an elite wr, te and qb to keep the defenses honest. murray is an above average hb but nothing special. petterson is a world class hof world beater. your comparison is wayyyyyyyyyyyy off.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
a 10 minute film study of the two RBs make those stats mean very little.

A 10 second Google search into the wear and tear of their bodies and their respective professionalism/off-the-field issues and I would take the younger, fresher RB who is renowned for his professionalism over well, AP.

Let me make this crystal clear - I am not arguing Murray is a better back than AP. I am arguing I would prefer to have him on my team, is all. Extreme example, but would you prefer to have Jason Witten or Aaron Hernandez? The answer is crystal clear.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
murray is a contract performer... in his entire college and pro football careers combined he only had 2 seasons he completed in every game... the year he entered the draft and last year his contract year. you must also take note that he was running behind the best oline in the nfl with an elite wr, te and qb to keep the defenses honest. murray is an above average hb but nothing special. petterson is a world class hof world beater. your comparison is wayyyyyyyyyyyy off.

Nothing special? The man who averaged over 5 YPC behind the worst o-line in the league a few years back? You all are way underrating Murray. He is a top 5 back in the league. Sure he get's injured frequently, so does Sean Lee. Does not make them any worse of a player, it does decrease their value, however.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
A 10 second Google search into the wear and tear of their bodies and their respective professionalism/off-the-field issues and I would take the younger, fresher RB who is renowned for his professionalism over well, AP.

Let me make this crystal clear - I am not arguing Murray is a better back than AP. I am arguing I would prefer to have him on my team, is all. Extreme example, but would you prefer to have Jason Witten or Aaron Hernandez? The answer is crystal clear.

Well I commend you on trying to make things crystal clear, but you have failed. I was responding to the statement below and now your talking about wear and tear and professionalism and off field issues.? huh?

And although the off-the-field issues are concerning, the man has paid his debt to society as governed by the judicial system we all live by. If the NFL determines he isn't a player they want in their league, then so be it. But then there goes a significant portion of the NFL population, The NFLPA will most likely have something to say about that.

Murray had similar production to last year from a proportional, percentage-based perspective throughout his career.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I cant believe somebody thinks Murray is better than AP.

News flash...................if he was, he would still be in Dallas. See, its not that Dallas is against giving top players top money, they are against giving good players top money. They simply did not view Murray as "special"................I guarantee that they view Peterson as "special" however.

JBS

Reaction score

News flash...................if he was, he would still be in Dallas. See, its not that Dallas is against giving top players top money, they are against giving good players top money. They simply did not view Murray as "special"................I guarantee that they view Peterson as "special" however.

Correct...it's really not that hard to understand

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Well I commend you on trying to make things crystal clear, but you have failed. I was responding to the statement below and now your talking about wear and tear and professionalism and off field issues.? huh?

And although the off-the-field issues are concerning, the man has paid his debt to society as governed by the judicial system we all live by. If the NFL determines he isn't a player they want in their league, then so be it. But then there goes a significant portion of the NFL population, The NFLPA will most likely have something to say about that.

I disagree that the variance between the two players is as large as everyone here is hyping it up to be. We are comparing two of the top RBs in the league, this is not comparing Orlando Scandrick and Deion Sanders. I have always been partial towards bringing in high-quality people, I love the Jason Witten's and DeMarcus Ware's. DeMarco Murray fits that bill, AP does not. That comes down to personal preference.

I had my wisdom teeth removed earlier today, so I admit I am likely rambling a bit with the points I am trying to make.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

That is certainly true, but I would prefer the production Murray will produce as a very good RB over the remainder of his career then what AP will produce as an elite RB over the final years of his. Particularly when you consider it won't be cheap to pry him from Minnesota. RB is a position where you don't need a world-beater since you can rotate in solid backs to keep your guy fresh, such as Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I have not spoken on AP yet till now. By no means should we give up a first round pick for him. I would much rather use the pick on one of the top 3 running backs in the draft - Gurley/Gordon/Coleman. The only way and I mean only way I would consider trading our first rounder for Peterson would be to have him run a 40. If he can break 4.6 I pull the trigger. I know its highly unlikely a player would ever do that but I do NOT want a 1-2 year rental with a high price tag vs a guy who will be locked into a 5 year deal and at the age of 22 with young legs. I am huge on Coleman and think he is the absolute best fit for our team for the rest of the Romo era. He can break one in the blink of an eye. Imagine a mixture of DeMarco Murray and CJ2K in his early years. I am telling you all this, best RB in the draft.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Nobody has any reason to truly show their hand until the eve of the draft. I expect the rumors and speculation will be rampant the closer we get to the draft.

phildadon86

Reaction score
That is certainly true, but I would prefer the production Murray will produce as a very good RB over the remainder of his career then what AP will produce as an elite RB over the final years of his. Particularly when you consider it won't be cheap to pry him from Minnesota. RB is a position where you don't need a world-beater since you can rotate in solid backs to keep your guy fresh, such as Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar.

After almost 500 touches last season, im betting his production will be a lot less then what AP will do in either Minnesota or Dallas

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Nobody has any reason to truly show their hand until the eve of the draft. I expect the rumors and speculation will be rampant the closer we get to the draft.

Yeah but we can only discuss in this thread or the news one.....Boo! We should be able to rant in here every day and twice on Sunday if we can tie a story or a player to this team...just my opinion though...

Thrill67

Reaction score
I see us drafting Coleman in the first, he is arguably the best RB in this class, just watch Youtube...the boy is bad.

But IMO we should get a really good back in this draft. Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi, anyone of these guys and I;m happy.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I disagree that the variance between the two players is as large as everyone here is hyping it up to be. We are comparing two of the top RBs in the league, this is not comparing Orlando Scandrick and Deion Sanders. I have always been partial towards bringing in high-quality people, I love the Jason Witten's and DeMarcus Ware's. DeMarco Murray fits that bill, AP does not. That comes down to personal preference.

I had my wisdom teeth removed earlier today, so I admit I am likely rambling a bit with the points I am trying to make.

lol. I hear ya, they give you the good stuff for wisdom teeth. Sorry about that,,,

And, I really like Murray too. I liked his attitude and presence in the locker room, and his work-man 9-5 like personality. The guy is solid, and I think as a leader on the team it filters its way too the entire team. So I agree with you there. This couldnt of been an easy decision for the FO, but I cant be too upset that they passed on matching that contract he got from Philly. Good for DM though.

What I am concerned about his the lack of a viable backup to replace his departure . I may be wrong. But I dont think DMF can be the guy, and I dont want to RELY and DEPEND on a ROOKIE, in a season that I think we should be contending for the SB...... It may work out though, they may roll the dice with a rookie and mcfadden and randle williams, RBBC, whatever.... and make the SB.

But as we sit here right now, with the season looming. Who wouldn't want to add Adrian Peterson to their backfield? When they really dont have anyone else that comes close to what AP is. And dont fool yourself, AP is ready, will be ready, and is a beast. Its why he is the highest paid RB in the league. All the people and coaches and players and GMs will say the same thing......He is exceptional, once in a generation player. And its true.

The situation is almost begging AP to come to Dallas..... AP wants it, and why wouldnt Dallas want it?

Please dont tell me a rookie is better then AP, for the next 2-3 years. Which is Romos window.

They can meet in the middle as far as money is concerned. I would give a 1st. a 2 and a 5 work too, maybe a 2 this year 3 next based on performance etc etc.....

Most think we can just plug and play a rookie RB or an average back behind this Oline and "get by".

Imagine what we could do with AP back there?

myslamsareolder

Reaction score
In theory I agree, but I don't think that they are automatic. The team still needs the player's consent to alter the contract. In some cases there may be automatic triggers, but I don't think that is the norm.

But 99.9% of the time the player will agree to get their whole salary in a lump sum, months in advance. Which is a de facto guarantee.

for the Cowboys they are almost automatic triggers built in, as I said. That is how they have been building contracts for a long time.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I see us drafting Coleman in the first, he is arguably the best RB in this class, just watch Youtube...the boy is bad.

But IMO we should get a really good back in this draft. Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi, anyone of these guys and I;m happy.

Tevin Coleman? Reminds me of the highlights for McFadden and Felix Jones before that draft. Straight speed through big holes. I remember seeing Charles highlights and thinking he was far more impressive. Running through traffic and making people miss and getting tough yards. I was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.