Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I have not spoken on AP yet till now. By no means should we give up a first round pick for him. I would much rather use the pick on one of the top 3 running backs in the draft - Gurley/Gordon/Coleman.

Why would you use a 1st round pick on the chance to get a good running back when you can use a third on the best running back in football and add a game-changing DT (where this team is incredibly weak)? Help me with the logic there. You can knock AP for being 30, but he's a proven commodity. He's never had an off year. He averages 100 yards per carry PER GAME.

A rookie running back late in the 1st? A gamble, and a waste when we have other pressing needs.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Why would you use a 1st round pick on the chance to get a good running back when you can use a third on the best running back in football and add a game-changing DT (where this team is incredibly weak)? Help me with the logic there. You can knock AP for being 30, but he's a proven commodity. He's never had an off year. He averages 100 yards per carry PER GAME.

A rookie running back late in the 1st? A gamble, and a waste when we have other pressing needs.

Umm maybe because that is what has been rumored, a first round pick. Earth to Skaven, you are not getting a "game changing DT in this draft after Shelton. Actually I could easily argue that you could get the same skill set DT in the 3rd round as you can in the late first. Where is the logic in drafting Malcom Brown when you could get Michael Bennett in the 2nd or 3rd? Help me there pal.

Oh, and no matter how good AP has been 90% of running backs hit the wall at age 30 and besides that would be the insane amount of money you would have to pay him that would limit you down the road. Listen, I am not against getting AP but I am against getting him, paying him big money and giving up a 1st round or 2nd round pick. I could also assure you we will not be getting him with a 3rd rounder as Arizona would give up there 3rd in a second.

And even though AP averages "100 yards per carry PER GAME"....LOL.... I still don't want a 2 year rental for $25 million that will also cost us at least a 2nd rounder.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I see us drafting Coleman in the first, he is arguably the best RB in this class, just watch Youtube...the boy is bad.

But IMO we should get a really good back in this draft. Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi, anyone of these guys and I;m happy.

In the first round? Only 2 RBs have a first rd grade and he isnt one of them.

evarc

Reaction score
Nothing special? The man who averaged over 5 YPC behind the worst o-line in the league a few years back? You all are way underrating Murray. He is a top 5 back in the league. Sure he get's injured frequently, so does Sean Lee. Does not make them any worse of a player, it does decrease their value, however.

he isnt anything special...he is an above average rb.. thats nothing to be ashamed of. that means he is better then most but isnt in a class of his own like AD. The gap between the two is so wide its scary. 2011 murray was the 26th in rushing, 2012 he was 29th, 2013 he was 10th 2014 (his contract year! with almst 400 attempts! behind the best line in football he managed to hit #1 coincidentally AD was suspended the entire year... lol) when murray falls apart this year behind phillys oline dallas will look like geniuses. murray is a contract perfomer who benefited from the best oline in football and elite players at key positions to relieve some of the pressure. in philly he will not even touch the numbers shady was putting up. take that to the bank.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Nothing special? The man who averaged over 5 YPC behind the worst o-line in the league a few years back? You all are way underrating Murray. He is a top 5 back in the league. Sure he get's injured frequently, so does Sean Lee. Does not make them any worse of a player, it does decrease their value, however.

All three of these guys had their best years last year. Miller, Ingram, and Murray. None of them can even enter into the discussion as a top five back based on a lack of consistancy imo. Here is the top five.

Peterson
Lynch
Charles
Shady
Gore

Gore may not make this list again based on his age but he clearly belongs in the top five based on consistant production over a number of years. Those three guys listed above will continue to climb the chart IF they have another year of consistant production. Then again the top five is going to change in the next few years based on all the young talent in the league. Two years from now it could include Murray but not right now.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

why do people pipe dream and wrap any given scenario to where their dream comes true all the while bashing alternatives cause they're not his pipe dream.

it's what people do.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I see us drafting Coleman in the first, he is arguably the best RB in this class, just watch Youtube...the boy is bad.

But IMO we should get a really good back in this draft. Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi, anyone of these guys and I;m happy.

Coleman in the first? Youtube? Really? Youtube only shows highlights, there is no way Coleman goes in the first round

evarc

Reaction score
if all day was in this draft at his current age and he somehow managed to drop down to us in the 1st round i dont think there is a cowboy fan alive that wouldnt take him.... so why not give up a first?

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score

I don't care how you spin it. In no way shape or form is Murray a top 5 back. Last season yes he had top 5 stats. Murray couldn't hold Charles, McCoy, Lynch, Foster, Gore, or even Forte's jock strap!

Murray had A great season. He had a solid season before that. However, to use his ypc as a barometer is not a measure of greatness. So with your theory Randle is a top 5 as well.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
In the first round? Only 2 RBs have a first rd grade and he isnt one of them.
he isnt anything special...he is an above average rb.. thats nothing to be ashamed of. that means he is better then most but isnt in a class of his own like AD. The gap between the two is so wide its scary. 2011 murray was the 26th in rushing, 2012 he was 29th, 2013 he was 10th 2014 (his contract year! with almst 400 attempts! behind the best line in football he managed to hit #1 coincidentally AD was suspended the entire year... lol) when murray falls apart this year behind phillys oline dallas will look like geniuses. murray is a contract perfomer who benefited from the best oline in football and elite players at key positions to relieve some of the pressure. in philly he will not even touch the numbers shady was putting up. take that to the bank.

"Above average" does not put him a class below AD, that's like two classes or three (When AP was at his peak, which he is not now).

And he's nothing special? Here I have to throw statistics and facts at some of you, once again.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/03/04/free-agent-profile-demarco-murray/

"Though the Dallas offensive line was rightly lauded for fine performances over the season, that shouldn’t take attention away from what Murray was achieving behind them. In addition to leading the league in rushing, Murray nearly eclipsed 1,000 rushing yards after contact and forced the second-most missed tackles with 55. He had particularly good success on first down to often set Dallas up with good situations on second down. Among runners with at least 60 first down carries, Murray ranked fifth with 4-plus yard gains on 39% of those attempts. His 2.68 yards after contact average on first down also ranked in the Top 10."

And you people are saying that Murray is "Nothing special"? Really? Murray excels in both running AND receiving, a combination only a few RBs in this league have. He was near the top on missed tackles, had nearly 1,000 yards rushing AFTER contact, but Murray is just an average runner?

And you pulling stats from the past without giving any perspective on them is ridiculous. First off, in 2011 Murray started 7 games and racked up 800 yards (Yeah, sounds a lot better in context, does it not?), 2012 there is fair criticism due to him suffering injury, 2013 he was on pace to have a big year but it is known that we kept taking the ball out of his hands and favoring the passing game. When we actually stuck to the run and gave him a chance, along with him staying healthy, what did he do? Oh yeah, it was the offensive line, even though there are statistics that show that it wasn't the offensive line.

Can we stop with the "He was nothing special" crap now?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't care how you spin it. In no way shape or form is Murray a top 5 back. Last season yes he had top 5 stats. Murray couldn't hold Charles, McCoy, Lynch, Foster, Gore, or even Forte's jock strap!

Murray had A great season. He had a solid season before that. However, to use his ypc as a barometer is not a measure of greatness. So with your theory Randle is a top 5 as well.

Again, every credible statistic goes against this.

And why do some of you need this drawn out to you with crayon? Randle had 50 freakin' carries! The lesser amount of carries the better chance of a higher YPC. Murray had over 200 carries in 2013 and STILL had a 5.0 YPC. Even pushing 400 carries, the fact he nearly maintained a 5.0 YPC is very impressive.

Your point was idiotic. I'll give you another chance. Try again

Last edited:

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
"Above average" does not put him a class below AD, that's like two classes or three (When AP was at his peak, which he is not now).

And he's nothing special? Here I have to throw statistics and facts at some of you, once again.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/03/04/free-agent-profile-demarco-murray/

"Though the Dallas offensive line was rightly lauded for fine performances over the season, that shouldn’t take attention away from what Murray was achieving behind them. In addition to leading the league in rushing, Murray nearly eclipsed 1,000 rushing yards after contact and forced the second-most missed tackles with 55. He had particularly good success on first down to often set Dallas up with good situations on second down. Among runners with at least 60 first down carries, Murray ranked fifth with 4-plus yard gains on 39% of those attempts. His 2.68 yards after contact average on first down also ranked in the Top 10."

And you people are saying that Murray is "Nothing special"? Really? Murray excels in both running AND receiving, a combination only a few RBs in this league have. He was near the top on missed tackles, had nearly 1,000 yards rushing AFTER contact, but Murray is just an average runner?

And you pulling stats from the past without giving any perspective on them is ridiculous. First off, in 2011 Murray started 7 games and racked up 800 yards (Yeah, sounds a lot better in context, does it not?), 2012 there is fair criticism due to him suffering injury, 2013 he was on pace to have a big year but it is known that we kept taking the ball out of his hands and favoring the passing game. When we actually stuck to the run and gave him a chance, along with him staying healthy, what did he do? Oh yeah, it was the offensive line, even though there are statistics that show that it wasn't the offensive line.

So you'd take Murray over Charles? He's the complete ELITE package.

And until AD proves otherwise he is still the best RB on the planet followed by Charles.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Again, every credible statistic goes against this.

And why do some of you need this drawn out to you with crayon? Randle had 50 freakin' carries! The lesser amount of carries the more chance of a higher YPC. Murray had over 200 carries in 2013 and STILL had a 5.0 YPC. Even pushing 400 carries, the fact he nearly maintained a 5.0 YPC is very impressive.

Your point was idiotic. I'll give you another chance. Try again

Murray is an above average back deal with it. He isn't Charles or AP so move on. There is no way on earth that you can argue that Murray is better than either of those backs period. Stats don't lie. Until Murray can produce at last years level for 5 plus season your argument is idiotic.

phildadon86

Reaction score

He also led the league in yards before contact. Murray is a good running back, but he is not AP. He never will be. Thats pretty much the end of the discussion. If AP had the same holes last season that Murray did, he would of not only broken the record he probably would have broken the single season rushing touchdown record. And yes im serious. I honestly believe that

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So you'd take Murray over Charles? He's the complete ELITE package.

And until AD proves otherwise he is still the best RB on the planet followed by Charles.

I'd take Charles due to health security, but that is the only reason. I've said time and time again, the criticism of Murray and injuries is a valid one. Didn't want him back because of that? Understandable, though even then he only had one truly injury plagued season (2012). But we are discussing talent here, and Murray is just as good a runner and receiver as Jamaal Charles (Statistics prove this).

And no, that's not how it works in the NFL. AD needs to prove he's STILL the best RB on the planet. You don't dish out money and draft picks for something a player did 2 years ago.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He also led the league in yards before contact. Murray is a good running back, but he is not AP. He never will be. Thats pretty much the end of the discussion. If AP had the same holes last season that Murray did, he would of not only broken the record he probably would have broken the single season rushing touchdown record. And yes im serious. I honestly believe that

What the hell do you guys think AP was running behind in Minny? He's had an offensive line that ranks in the top 10, nearly every year since 2009. His most impressive years, and when he was truly at his peak, was from 2007-2009 when the run blocking ranked outside of the top 15.

So, he hasn't been running behind the early Houston Texans line or something the past 4 years; he's had it made behind Minny's line.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I'd take Charles due to health security, but that is the only reason. I've said time and time again, the criticism of Murray and injuries is a valid one. Didn't want him back because of that? Understandable, though even then he only had one truly injury plagued season (2012). But we are discussing talent here, and Murray is just as good a runner and receiver as Jamaal Charles (Statistics prove this).

And no, that's not how it works in the NFL. AD needs to prove he's STILL the best RB on the planet. You don't dish out money and draft picks for something a player did 2 years ago.

lets see:

full year of rest. And for a RB that can be important. And not like rust matters for a RB anyway.
Chip on his shoulder- if you do not think he has a huge one right now you truly are out to lunch.
2000 yard back behind an O line nowhere near as good as ours was and with not a whole lot of offense around him. Compare that to your homeristic rantings on Murray.

Now look at the RBs in the draft. No one knows who will make it and who will not. Lots of first and second round RB busts over the years. And we have maybe 3 years left before Romo is either gone or deteriorating significantly.

So gambling on AD is worth a hard look at. Now I agree no first rd pick. And if the boys want to gamble on Minnie releasing him I would be all right with that. BUT if we can get him with a third and he agrees to renegotiate then we would be incredibly stupid to pass that up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Peterson told Josina Anderson of ESPN before the meeting that he was “anxious to start a new chapter” in his career. There’s no question he wants out of Minnesota. He feels the Vikings weren’t fully supportive of him when the allegations of excessively disciplining his son with a tree branch first surfaced last year. And he also knows—or must know—that if he wants out, now is the best time to make a clean break and get out, with two contenders (Dallas, Arizona) in major need of running back help, and Peterson loving both of those contenders.

Sorry, but I simply don't agree with this statement in any way, shape, or form.

Peterson lives in Texas, not Arizona. Wanting to play at home means Texas and the Cowboys, not Arizona and the Cardinals.

The team Peterson grew up rooting for? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

Which team was 12-4 last year? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

Which team has the better quarterback? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

Which team has a Pro Bowl receiver and tight end? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

Which team has the better offensive line? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

Which is the higher profile team in the national spotlight? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

Which team's owner has Peterson talked to about finishing his career playing for? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

Which team do I feel Peterson would be most willing to re-work his contract for? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

So which team do I feel Peterson wants to sign with? The Cowboys, not the Cardinals.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
lets see:

full year of rest. And for a RB that can be important. And not like rust matters for a RB anyway.
Chip on his shoulder- if you do not think he has a huge one right now you truly are out to lunch.
2000 yard back behind an O line nowhere near as good as ours was and with not a whole lot of offense around him. Compare that to your homeristic rantings on Murray.

Now look at the RBs in the draft. No one knows who will make it and who will not. Lots of first and second round RB busts over the years. And we have maybe 3 years left before Romo is either gone or deteriorating significantly.

So gambling on AD is worth a hard look at. Now I agree no first rd pick. And if the boys want to gamble on Minnie releasing him I would be all right with that. BUT if we can get him with a third and he agrees to renegotiate then we would be incredibly stupid to pass that up.

Rust is NEVER good, no matter what the position is. Again, you have the prediction that he'll come back and rush for 2,000 yards behind our line, but it's just a prediction.

Uh, once again, Minny's run blocking was ranked in the top 10 when he rushed for 2,000 yards. So yeah, pretty damn good line.

And like no one knows how rookie RBs will pan out, we have no idea how Peterson will return and play. Are you willing to give a big contract and maybe some draft picks to an aging RB or are you willing to grab a young RB in the draft with a lot of potential? To me, it's easy. And you said a while back that I'm "Talking out of my ***" about the contract he'll want. Lynch got a $24 million contract, you and a lot of others think Peterson is the best RB on the planet, he's going to want to match that or at least get close to that. You better hope that he will give us two big years or it would be an absolute bust signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.