Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I'd take Charles due to health security, but that is the only reason. I've said time and time again, the criticism of Murray and injuries is a valid one. Didn't want him back because of that? Understandable, though even then he only had one truly injury plagued season (2012). But we are discussing talent here, and Murray is just as good a runner and receiver as Jamaal Charles (Statistics prove this).

And no, that's not how it works in the NFL. AD needs to prove he's STILL the best RB on the planet. You don't dish out money and draft picks for something a player did 2 years ago.

Well, I agree with you that Murray was an above average back. The guy is solid...you dont run for 1800 yards without having any talent. But, you cant pay Murray that ridiculous salary he got, and you have indicated you feel that way too.

So, with that knowledge you need to find a suitable replacement for him or the Cowboys are going to be taking a serious step backwards. In a year they should be pushing forward.

So, as of right now, are choices are, DMF, Williams, Randle, Dunbar; And a rookie.

or

Trade for AP.

I would say you dont trust a rookie to carry the load in a year your pushing for the Super Bowl, based off what he did in College....

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Closest I can think of at the RB position is John Riggins. Sat out 1980 (retired) after having his best season to date, at the age of 30, in 1979 (1,149 yards rushing and 9 TDs) . Returned in 1981. Had a drop in rushing yards (714) but most TDs ever (13). Then in 1983 (he missed half of '82 with injuries) shattered all his personal bests at the age of 34 with 1,347 yards rushing and 24 TDs (a record at the time). Had his second best season in 1984 at the age of 35 (1,239 yards rushing and 14 TDs).

he was a Commander, but Riggo was awesome.... One story had him drunk underneath a table at a swanky event in DC with the president in attendance.... and the 5oclock club. Just classic. Those were the good ole days....:)

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
When did I say that 200 carries was the benchmark of when YPC are credible? Never. More words in my mouth.

And yes, an RB has to be a starter if you're going to compare them to another starting RB! Haha I mean, really?

Your post:

"And why do some of you need this drawn out to you with crayon? Randle had 50 freakin' carries! The lesser amount of carries the better chance of a higher YPC. Murray had over 200 carries in 2013 and STILL had a 5.0 YPC."

You see you just made my point for me again. With your argument if Randle had 200 carries last year he could have had 6 or 7 ypc because of his break away speed. Here's some raw data for you. High YPC for a RB doesn't always translate to how much production that back really had. The more carries Murray had the worse his YPC was even in his "great" season. Whereas, he's never had 6.4 or 5.9 in a season like Charles. Whom I was using to compare Murray with because AD didn't play last season.

Murray had 2 very productive years and 2 injury plagued years. Thus, making him nothing more than an above average rb that can block, run well, and receive well. Whereas, Charles has done it ALL year after year and to compare his first 4 seasons with Murray based on YPC:

Charles 6.0
Murray 4.8

Thanks for making my point that Murray isn't elite and never will be.

If you want I can use finger paints to better illustrate it for you. Love you some Spray Tan

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Well, I agree with you that Murray was an above average back. The guy is solid...you dont run for 1800 yards without having any talent. But, you cant pay Murray that ridiculous salary he got, and you have indicated you feel that way too.

So, with that knowledge you need to find a suitable replacement for him or the Cowboys are going to be taking a serious step backwards. In a year they should be pushing forward.

So, as of right now, are choices are, DMF, Williams, Randle, Dunbar; And a rookie.

or

Trade for AP.

I would say you dont trust a rookie to carry the load in a year your pushing for the Super Bowl, based off what he did in College....

If AP came in on a "Prove it" deal, I wouldn't mind bringing him in. But I am in no way in favor of giving him the contract I'm expecting him to be asking for; especially with the agent he has. While the market for big time aging RBs is small, I feel like Lynch set a bar that Peterson will want to reach or at least come close to.

But I'm still in favor of bringing in a rookie. We don't have to give the rookie nearly 400 carries, there are better ways to rotate RBs in this league (The Chiefs do this very well) and something Jason Garrett said he wanted to fix even during last season. So McFadden and Randle (Or whoever wins the backup jobs) will help carry some of the load. And seeing as how the Cowboys are bringing in every RB from the draft for visits, I'm guessing a rookie RB is in their plans.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
he was a Commander, but Riggo was awesome.... One story had him drunk underneath a table at a swanky event in DC with the president in attendance.... and the 5oclock club. Just classic. Those were the good ole days....:)

Yeah, Riggo was hard not to like. Even though they were clearly our biggest rivals at the time. Says a lot about him, actually.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Your post:

"And why do some of you need this drawn out to you with crayon? Randle had 50 freakin' carries! The lesser amount of carries the better chance of a higher YPC. Murray had over 200 carries in 2013 and STILL had a 5.0 YPC."

You see you just made my point for me again. With your argument if Randle had 200 carries last year he could have had 6 or 7 ypc because of his break away speed. Here's some raw data for you. High YPC for a RB doesn't always translate to how much production that back really had. The more carries Murray had the worse his YPC was even in his "great" season. Whereas, he's never had 6.4 or 5.9 in a season like Charles. Whom I was using to compare Murray with because AD didn't play last season.

Murray had 2 very productive years and 2 injury plagued years. Thus, making him nothing more than an above average rb that can block, run well, and receive well. Whereas, Charles has done it ALL year after year and to compare his first 4 seasons with Murray based on YPC:

Charles 6.0
Murray 4.8

Thanks for making my point that Murray isn't elite and never will be.

If you want I can use finger paints to better illustrate it for you. Love you some Spray Tan

Thank you for showing that I didn't say the benchmark for credible YPC was 200.

First off, Jamaal Charles has never had nearly 400 carries. Actually, he's never even had over 300 carries.

Jamaal Charles 190 carries - 5.9 YPC
Demarco Murray 160 carries - 5.5 YPC

Jamaal Charles outside of one year, with 250-280 carries - 5.0, 5.0 and 5.3
Demarco Murray 217 carries - 5.2 YPC

So, those two are actually VERY similar.

Try again.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
If AP came in on a "Prove it" deal, I wouldn't mind bringing him in. But I am in no way in favor of giving him the contract I'm expecting him to be asking for; especially with the agent he has. While the market for big time aging RBs is small, I feel like Lynch set a bar that Peterson will want to reach or at least come close to.

But I'm still in favor of bringing in a rookie. We don't have to give the rookie nearly 400 carries, there are better ways to rotate RBs in this league (The Chiefs do this very well) and something Jason Garrett said he wanted to fix even during last season. So McFadden and Randle (Or whoever wins the backup jobs) will help carry some of the load. And seeing as how the Cowboys are bringing in every RB from the draft for visits, I'm guessing a rookie RB is in their plans.

Peterson will be our Lynch. A game changer. Sign him, trade for him, pay him.

We dont get too many chances like this. It is set up perfectly. Lets get Romo that Super Bowl!

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Thank you for showing that I didn't say the benchmark for credible YPC was 200.

First off, Jamaal Charles has never had nearly 400 carries. Actually, he's never even had over 300 carries.

Jamaal Charles 190 carries - 5.9 YPC
Demarco Murray 160 carries - 5.5 YPC

Jamaal Charles outside of one year, with 250-280 carries - 5.0, 5.0 and 5.3
Demarco Murray 217 carries - 5.2 YPC

So, those two are actually VERY similar.

Try again.

No need you keep proving mine. Try again.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Haha, so nothing to counter that, I see?

I'll give you some time.

I could respond like a child and call you an idiot. Than again I won't stoop to your level. But thanks for the offer.

I've got 31 great examples of why Murray isn't elite.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
mattjames2010 I changed my mind we should rename this "mattjames2010 thread"....I am beginning to wonder if you are really a cowboys fan...it is time for you to move on from Murray...he plays for the eagles now...you know that hated team with the worst fans in football, baseball, table tennis....you know that team...Murray left if he wanted to stay he would have stayed at the terms he was offered. He is not elite and this year running behind a crapy line that will show. Seriously are you really a cowboys fan? Your going round and round with fans that love the cowboys and you have made your point. Talk about AD coming or not coming in this thread or move to the news thread so you can create a Murray thread.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
mattjames2010 I changed my mind we should rename this "mattjames2010 thread"....I am beginning to wonder if you are really a cowboys fan...it is time for you to move on from Murray...he plays for the eagles now...you know that hated team with the worst fans in football, baseball, table tennis....you know that team...Murray left if he wanted to stay he would have stayed at the terms he was offered. He is not elite and this year running behind a crapy line that will show. Seriously are you really a cowboys fan? Your going round and round with fans that love the cowboys and you have made your point. Talk about AD coming or not coming in this thread or move to the news thread so you can create a Murray thread.

And you continue to say this. Are you not reading anything I post here? I actually said i was in favor of Murray leaving! What is complicated about this? I am delving into exactly what I want and what it seems the Cowboys will be doing in the rest of the offseason, and it doesn't seem to include Peterson.

And I HAVE discussed Peterson coming here or not coming here. You understand I wasn't the first person to bring up Murray right? So, someone else "hijacked" this thread.

So please, if you're going to throw out accusations, have something credible behind it.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I could respond like a child and call you an idiot. Than again I won't stoop to your level. But thanks for the offer.

I've got 31 great examples of why Murray isn't elite.

Murray isnt Elite. He is good, and his intangibles make for a great Football Player. But he isnt an elite RB. Thats why you dont pay him like the Eagles did.

AP is Elite. And thats why you pay him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And another member has already tried this.

Randle had 50 carries, Murray had nearly 400! YPC DROP the higher the carries go, what makes backs who stay in the 4.5-5.0 range impressive is when they have a high amount of carries and maintain that high YPC.

It's not even comparable.

I know how YPC works. Thanks for that. I was merely stating my opinion because thats all that matters. If we are going based off of your history. The stats you posted only fit into your agenda and what you are trying to prove. Here is a stat for you. Demarco Murray cost us the GB game, he didnt secure the ball, and didnt learn from previous games in the season that your finger or 2 should be over the nipple of the ball. Not that it mattered though, he had 60 yards of free space in front of him. Probably would have gotten caught by a defensive lineman anyways

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
And you continue to say this. Are you not reading anything I post here? I actually said i was in favor of Murray leaving! What is complicated about this? I am delving into exactly what I want and what it seems the Cowboys will be doing in the rest of the offseason, and it doesn't seem to include Peterson.

And I HAVE discussed Peterson coming here or not coming here. You understand I wasn't the first person to bring up Murray right? So, someone else "hijacked" this thread.

So please, if you're going to throw out accusations, have something credible behind it.

Trust me we are all reading your posts in the "mattjames2010" thread...

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'll switch Gurley to Gordon (Just who I prefer in the first), but yes I would. But I'm also not against going CB/LB/DE in the first and taking an RB in the second or third either.

So you like RB's with cases of fumbleitis. Makes sense why you are defending Murray so adamantly

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I don't want Peterson merely for the fact that if we do win, people will say "Romo had stacked teams " like Lebron in Miami and if we don't, people will say "all that talent and he can't get it done."

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I don't want Peterson merely for the fact that if we do win, people will say "Romo had stacked teams " like Lebron in Miami and if we don't, people will say "all that talent and he can't get it done."

It's been twenty years, could care less what spin the media may put on it. Deflate gate made no difference to the Pats. I just want to see the team win again and my personal opinion with AD on this team that chance only becomes greater.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Murray isnt Elite. He is good, and his intangibles make for a great Football Player. But he isnt an elite RB. Thats why you dont pay him like the Eagles did.

AP is Elite. And thats why you pay him.

It seems the Eagles have structured Murray's contract quite nicely, they are getting him for cheap in 2015, while 2016 and 2017 is something around $8-$9 million a year. I believe the final two years they have ways of getting out of the contract with little cap hit. He was the slightly cheaper option between he and McCoy. But, they should have just gone to the draft since they already loaded themselves up with RBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.