Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
While I like the premise, the Cowboys would have to have the Viking's permission to negotiate a contract with Peterson beforehand. There's no way Peterson and the Cowboys would be able to agree on new contract terms on the clock.

I don't know. There's a lot of wheeling and dealing before the draft. There's nothing to say that Jerry can't call ahead of time and make such an inquiry. The Vikings can basically do the same thing, i.e., "Look, Jerry. We're going to move AP, and we know you're interested. If after we pick in the first round and there's a guy we like still on the board, we'll be willing to work a trade. We've already talked to AP's folks, and he's willing to redo his contract. Let's make it happen."

And you have to remember, Jerry and Jimmy were so good at negotiating contracts over the phone with potential draftees (rejecting those who wouldn't agree to what the Cowboys were offering), that the NFL put a stop to it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know. There's a lot of wheeling and dealing before the draft. There's nothing to say that Jerry can't call ahead of time and make such an inquiry. The Vikings can basically do the same thing, i.e., "Look, Jerry. We're going to move AP, and we know you're interested. If after we pick in the first round and there's a guy we like still on the board, we'll be willing to work a trade. We've already talked to AP's folks, and he's willing to redo his contract. Let's make it happen."

Ahead of time? Sure! Absolutely. But during the draft? I can't see that.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

Rookies are not proven in the NFL. They are hit and miss.
Romo doesn't have the bandwidth to wait around on said rookie to develop.
We need to control TOP. We must have dominating Run game.

I am not saying it won't work. I just dont want to leave it up to a rookie, DMF, randle and PS guy Williams.

I would rather have a proven RB. Someone, coaches and Romo will trust, when the game is on the line...

I think the Cowboys got caught off guard with the money other teams were paying RBs...

Thats just me guessing.

Our Identity was the Run Game. We are not the NE patriots. Maybe if we win 9 out of 10 division titles and 3 or 4 super bowls, I wouldn't question so much....

I also think, our OLine isn't as good as we think it is. You cant put just anybody back there,,,,,

And we cant "miss" on that RB draft pick; If we do miss, then its back to 8-8 9 -7 with Romo scrambling around chucking the pickle down field 45 times a game, trying to play catch up in the second half....

All in a year when this team should be pushing for a SB.

No, I would rather have a proven RB. And even better an Elite one....

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Rookies are not proven in the NFL. They are hit and miss.
Romo doesn't have the bandwidth to wait around on said rookie to develop.
We need to control TOP. We must have dominating Run game.

I am not saying it won't work. I just dont want to leave it up to a rookie, DMF, randle and PS guy Williams.

I would rather have a proven RB. Someone, coaches and Romo will trust, when the game is on the line...

I think the Cowboys got caught off guard with the money other teams were paying RBs...

Thats just me guessing.

Our Identity was the Run Game. We are not the NE patriots. Maybe if we win 9 out of 10 division titles and 3 or 4 super bowls, I wouldn't question so much....

I also think, our OLine isn't as good as we think it is. You cant put just anybody back there,,,,,

And we cant "miss" on that RB draft pick; If we do miss, then its back to 8-8 9 -7 with Romo scrambling around chucking the pickle down field 45 times a game, trying to play catch up in the second half....

All in a year when this team should be pushing for a SB.

No, I would rather have a proven RB. And even better an Elite one....

How about we fix the defense during the draft. Also, the whole Romo chucking the ball over 30 plus times doesnt equal success notion a lot of cowboys fans are coming up with isnt true. We did just fine in 2007 and 2009 with him throwing 35 plus times a game. The difference was then we had a decent defense.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
How about we fix the defense during the draft. Also, the whole Romo chucking the ball over 30 plus times doesnt equal success notion a lot of cowboys fans are coming up with isnt true. We did just fine in 2007 and 2009 with him throwing 35 plus times a game. The difference was then we had a decent defense.

Romo is 6 years older now. I dont think it would be wise to have our franchise scrambling around back there.

And yes, fix the defense... Of course. Fix the defense. How many guys you think we need to "hit" on to do that?

And have it done by August...

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Here it is. Proof that Jerry has his mind on Signing AP instead of what building he is suppose to be in,,,,,..... Can't argue with cold hard facts and picture evidence!

lqmac1

Reaction score

skinsscalper

Reaction score
This is good news. By Wednesday Fish will be reporting that the Cowboys might be interested if Peterson will redo his contract. By Friday, we'll have a deal in place with the Vikings for a conditional 7th, subject to reworking Peterson's contract. Eatman will actually break the news but Fish will clarify that the deal is for Peterson to play RB for the Cowboys. We'll have a suspenseful weekend during which the Cowboys and Peterson try to rework his deal. Meantime Fish will offer plenty of insightful tidbits on his premium site (Breaking News: Peterson will wear 28 if he signs with the Cowboys). Peterson will finally sign next Monday and Fish will tell us how he predicted it all along. As I say, really good news.

Spot on.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Boys are not going to trade; they will wait until the Vikings cut him to take a look

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
We don't need AD. Between McFadden, chonie bandito, and who we get in the draft along with Dunbar and Ryan we should be fine.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
The percentage of rookies who dont make an impact in their first year.

I am not big on RBBC, and a rookie is too much of a risk, imho, when this team is positioned to make a SB run.

I dont want to see Romo having to carry the team again...

We got lucky.... very lucky that Romo did not have to carry the offense by himself last season with DeMarco. We lucked out that Murray stayed relatively healthy for the first time in three seasons. The risks will always be there. Sorry, but I don't want to have to put faith in an overly expensive 30 year old back that missed the majority of last season, hoping he comes back as good as new. No thanks!!!!!!

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
We got lucky.... very lucky that Romo did not have to carry the offense by himself last season with DeMarco. We lucked out that Murray stayed relatively healthy for the first time in three seasons. The risks will always be there. Sorry, but I don't want to have to put faith in an overly expensive 30 year old back that missed the majority of last season, hoping he comes back as good as new. No thanks!!!!!!

So you would rather have a rookie, DMF, Williams and Randle, carrying the rock next year, rather than AP?

Put the money aside for now.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
So you would rather have a rookie, DMF, Williams and Randle, carrying the rock next year, rather than AP?

Put the money aside for now.

I'll take my chances. Peterson might have one decent season in him. Maybe. I'm more of a big picture guy, regardless what the media thinks we should do.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I'll take my chances. Peterson might have one decent season in him. Maybe. I'm more of a big picture guy, regardless what the media thinks we should do.

I don't think the media is pushing for the Cowboys to get AP.....? Maybe I have missed some articles though......?

I understand the long term perspective and being conservative...

I guess I am a little confused about the "timing" of becoming penny pinchers....

Now? after we finally field a competitive team, that was a few plays away from a NFCCG against a team that we had beat in the regular season? And with about 2 , maybe 3 years left of Romo?

Now they want to be conservative and let guys walk, relying on Rookies to replace them?

They shouldve taken this approach 7 8 years ago......Not Now!!!

dallasdave

Reaction score
How about the percentage of rookie running backs who make an impact?
Running back is one of those positions where a rookie can make a huge impact his first season.

Tony Dorsett
Eric Dickerson
Earl Campbell
Emmitt Smith
Franco Harris
Adrian Peterson
Chris Johnson
Eddie Lacy
Stephen Jackson
Thurman Thomas
Bobby Humphreys
Marcus Allen

I think you get the picture ...

well said, stay thirsty my friend.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I don't think the media is pushing for the Cowboys to get AP.....? Maybe I have missed some articles though......?

I understand the long term perspective and being conservative...

I guess I am a little confused about the "timing" of becoming penny pinchers....

Now? after we finally field a competitive team, that was a few plays away from a NFCCG against a team that we had beat in the regular season? And with about 2 , maybe 3 years left of Romo?

Now they want to be conservative and let guys walk, relying on Rookies to replace them?

They shouldve taken this approach 7 8 years ago......Not Now!!!

So Romo has maybe one good year left? Two? It's all a crap shoot. Nobody knows. But yeah, being conservative now--doing it the right way--works for me. Do it now, not later.

Status
Not open for further replies.