Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
So Romo has maybe one good year left? Two? It's all a crap shoot. Nobody knows. But yeah, being conservative now--doing it the right way--works for me. Do it now, not later.

It is a gamble, but you have to make calculated risks.
And there is a part of me, that loves this new way. This conservative approach , build your roster through the draft, etc etc....Let Carter walk, cut Carr, bring in youth....no large contracts for one year wonders....Miles, Carr, MBII, Ratliff...etc etc..

Its a little scary...... but I do think it pays off. In the long term.

Romos days are numbered........ He doesn't have the time to recover from a major injury. He goes down, out for the year type of thing.....And there is a good chance he is done. He is, 35 i think? If it were me, I would lean towards pushing for a SB, in the next 2 years. I just dont think Romo will go much more then that......and the coaches will have to drag him off the field...

I also think, the biggest move we could make, to help Romo and the Cowboys get to a Super Bowl, is sign AP. Pay him. Just make sure there is very little dead money come year 3 for him. He is 30. At the most he can give us a year maybe 2 of classic AP.....

Do the physical, attitude check, etc etc......Guy is in shape.

That is what I am hoping for. I think the board is split on this issue. And, to be honest, getting a rookie and hoping the Oline and the RBBC can get us to a SB isnt a "bad idea". That just might work too. I just think if you have a chance to get AP. Do it.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
If this is truly the case......

With the 27 pick of the 2015 NFL draft...... The Dallas Cowboys select Todd Gurley; Running Back; from the University of Georgia

so you would take Gurley over the kid from Boise State?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Expecting a 1000 yards from rookie is bit much since even the great Emmitt could not do it. Most rookies only get time on running downs because they cannot be trusted to pass block so that being said most teams know this and will load a box against a rookie runner because odds are if he is in the game they are going to run. I expect a rookie to contribute 700-900 yards in a season running.

You have to look at specifics of what to expect from a rookie running back. Each situation will be different.

There are several reasons Emmitt Smith didn't get 1000 yards his rookie season. He held out all of training camp and the pre-season, which prevented him for being truly ready to play once the season started. He went to a very young team with a QB in only his second season. The offensive line wasn't well established in 1990. Aikman got hurt and missed games, which forced Dallas to use the terrible Babe Laufenberg as their QB. No great RB would have done anything with Babe at QB. The biggest reason is the OC was a bozo.

Tony Dorsett entered into a great situation as a rookie. There was a HoF QB in place along with a good offensive line and weapons. He put up over a 1000 yards in a 14 game season.

I think any rookie coming to Dallas will be facing a situation more similar to Dorsett than that of Smith.

joseephuss

Reaction score
lol.

Good Lord I love how so many people are suddenly acting like Murray was the 2nd coming of Emmitt Smith after 1 great year here.

I don't recall even one post last offseason with people singing the praises of Murray the great elite back of the NFL.

There should have been threads about Murray being a good back last off seaosn. Murray had a pretty year in 2013. He finished 10th in rushing and 10th in yards from scrimmage.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
True but you have Atlanta, Carolina, Jacksonville...several teams above our current slot that could use the best RB in this draft.

Atlanta taking a rb top when they need pass rush help? Get real.

Carolina? Maybe but they need o line help and already have a rb lining up behind center.

Jacksonville? Seriously? Aren't they picking top 3? That's an excellent spot for a rb coming of an acl injury.

And sure the teams can trade back but how far back are you expecting them to drop?

SunspotJonz

Reaction score
The only way if AD is coming to dallas is an outright release.

Once he is, theres going to be dozens of teams in on it, the good thing is that AD has publicly stated that he would love to play for the Boys. He isnt going to Oakland,Tampa,Jax. Arizona is a real threat but once again, AD has stated his desire to possibly close out his career with Dallas. That's a huge chip that no one else has.

Once released, its a blank slate for other teams to draw up a contract. I think a 3 yr,24 million with 18-20 mil guaranteed is something they should consider. I'm tired of seeing these 30 year old comments. Yes, he's 30 but he's from another breed. I really can't believe they will go into the season with Dmac,Randle and a rookie RB when they could have had AD (if he was released). The fact that they just simply wouldnt even entertain the idea is laughable. A guy like AD is available, you go get AP. Can you guys just imagine a pissed off AD with this Oline and passing threat? Man, barring key injuries I really don't know how you gameplan against a beast RB and WR, with a future TE working the seams and Beasley working the middle.

Lets say we go the cheaper route and roll with Gurley and he isn't what we expected in his rookie year...well now Romo's a year older in 2016 and there's no success to show for it. Let's say Gurley never becomes a Demarco type back...well yay, now we got a decent RB and retired Romo.

Go for AD

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Coming into the season you felt confident about Murray and the season he was going to have?

I did not. Because Murray had never even had a great year yet alone a special one.

Yeah I'd be fine with a committee headlined by Gurley.

I think Murray wasn't the problem in prior years. It's was some combination of playcalling and Ol talent.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I dont want him even without having to trade for him. Draft a top RB
put him in the stable getty up

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think Murray wasn't the problem in prior years. It's was some combination of playcalling and Ol talent.

Not a problem but not a solution either.

People talked about not retaining him as if he was THE key to our offense after the season.

Simply not true.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I met Emmanuel Sanders tonight(didn't want to start a new thread) :)

A very nice and cordial guy but surprisingly small.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Not a problem but not a solution either.

People talked about not retaining him as if he was THE key to our offense after the season.

Simply not true.

Agreed. The trap, however, is that you get a back who can not perform close to
Murray then blame the run game and go back to the 75% shotgun offense. This team needs running game whether it is Murray or not, I don't much care. I think they should be able to replace his production if all other things are equal.

More concerned about loosing Callahan than Murray.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Atlanta taking a rb top when they need pass rush help? Get real.

Carolina? Maybe but they need o line help and already have a rb lining up behind center.

Jacksonville? Seriously? Aren't they picking top 3? That's an excellent spot for a rb coming of an acl injury.

And sure the teams can trade back but how far back are you expecting them to drop?

I stated earlier I don't think Gurley gets past San Diego the above list is just other teams that could use a bellcow..

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
And there is a part of me, that loves this new way. This conservative approach , build your roster through the draft, etc etc....Let Carter walk, cut Carr, bring in youth....no large contracts for one year wonders....Miles, Carr, MBII, Ratliff...etc etc..

Romos days are numbered........ He doesn't have the time to recover from a major injury. He goes down, out for the year type of thing.....And there is a good chance he is done. He is, 35 i think? If it were me, I would lean towards pushing for a SB, in the next 2 years. I just dont think Romo will go much more then that......and the coaches will have to drag him off the field...

I also think, the biggest move we could make, to help Romo and the Cowboys get to a Super Bowl, is sign AP. Pay him. Just make sure there is very little dead money come year 3 for him. He is 30. At the most he can give us a year maybe 2 of classic AP.....

That is what I am hoping for. I think the board is split on this issue. And, to be honest, getting a rookie and hoping the Oline and the RBBC can get us to a SB isnt a "bad idea". That just might work too. I just think if you have a chance to get AP. Do it.

I hear ya friend. If the FO feels the way you do, and indeed decides AP is the missing piece, I won't piss and moan about it. I'll cheer my *** off for AP, and hope it's a successful journey.

KB1122

Reaction score
There is no way the Cowboys are going to take AP after Greg Hardy.

It's kind of a shame, because of the two guys, it's clear that AP is the remorseful one who deserves the second chance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like most of your thinking here, but I can't see anything but considerable dead money in the last year of any Peterson deal. They can't afford to pay up front so the money he will want has to come from the back end of any deal.

I think any deal will be similar in structure to the deal that Marshawn Lynch signed in Seattle. Lots of money up front to the player, and the team eating dead money after the player is gone after one or two years.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
There should have been threads about Murray being a good back last off seaosn. Murray had a pretty year in 2013. He finished 10th in rushing and 10th in yards from scrimmage.

I don't recall anyone calling him elite. Or screaming to pay him a bunch of money cause he had an decent year.

There may have been a thread here or there saying he was a solid back, or a good back, but no one was screaming that he was elite or couldn't possibly be replaced.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I hear ya friend. If the FO feels the way you do, and indeed decides AP is the missing piece, I won't piss and moan about it. I'll cheer my *** off for AP, and hope it's a successful journey.

Well yeah.... But not yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.