Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
This makes it abundantly clear why Mark Dominik is a former GM. That compensation is insane.

The Buccaneers are still trying to recover from decisions he made. He's a good part of the reason they're currently drafting #1 overall.

And his trade value is what another team will give for AP. So, he says a first rounder and two 2nd rounders, then says, "its unlikely anybody will give Minny that compensation".

lol ,,,,?? what? He just shot down his own analysis.............

links18

Reaction score
And his trade value is what another team will give for AP. So, he says a first rounder and two 2nd rounders, then says, "its unlikely anybody will give Minny that compensation".

lol ,,,,?? what? He just shot down his own analysis.............

I guess its possible that all other teams are misjudging his actual value--scared off by things like age that don't apply to him or legal trouble that won't happen again. Sort of like how RoMac was probably worth more than what we gave up for him....

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I guess its possible that all other teams are misjudging his actual value--scared off by things like age that don't apply to him or legal trouble that won't happen again. Sort of like how RoMac was probably worth more than what we gave up for him....

Probably.

I want him for the next 2-3 years......

I would give up a 1st rounder. Which most people wont do, at least on this board. But I would give up this years 1st. But thats it..... no more. Someone wants to throw gobs of Draft Picks his way, then I would most likely give up on the idea.

1st rounder. And we meet somewhere in the middle on money.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
News for the crowd that says he is coming.
SportsDay's Jon Machota answered questions in a chat Friday. Here are some highlights.

Question: Is Peterson one of these guys like Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton, such a rare talent that the 30-year-old "wall" doesn't apply?

Jon Machota: There's no way of knowing until you actually see it, but I would lean toward the side that says he is. He's a physical freak and as gifted as just about any runner that has played the game. Not to mention, running behind this Cowboys offensive line could help significantly in prolonging his career.

Question: Smart move. Cowboys trade their 1st round pick for next year which will (hopefully) be in the 30s for a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year. Could you see any teams jumping on this trade

Jon Machota: I highly doubt they would do that. That's how you get in trouble going forward. Teams that have been successful in the NFL for a long time don't operate that way. I would strongly advise against it.

Question: Any word on how the Cowboys would plan to use Shaq Thompson?

Jon Machota: No and I'm very interested as well. There haven't been many players like Shaq in recent drafts. I think they'd use him as an outside linebacker but I've heard he could play safety and some believe he could even be a good running back. I will try to find that out for you.

Question: If D. Lawrence were lumped in with this class of D-Ends, where would he rank?

Jon Machota: I bet he’d fit in somewhere behind Dante Fowler and Shane Ray and before Owamagbe Odighizuwa as a mid to late first round pick. Nice get for the Cowboys last year. Premium pass rushers are hard to find. I think you'll see a healthy Lawrence take a big step forward in 2015.

Question: If Cowboys cut Brandon Carr to clear room for Peterson, is it possible Mo Claiborne might be called on to start?

Jon Machota: That's a risky move if the Cowboys go in that direction. Claiborne's injury comes with a long rehab process. It's possible that he doesn't get back to 100 percent even by the start of the season. Also, in today's NFL you need at least four good corners. Even with Carr I think the Cowboys need to draft another CB fairly high. If Carr is gone, they'll need to draft two.

If we need four good corners, then WITH Carr, we need to draft two corners

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
He's already said he would not take a pay cut and that's what Dallas needs from him. Hes not worth his pay

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Probably.

I want him for the next 2-3 years......

I would give up a 1st rounder. Which most people wont do, at least on this board. But I would give up this years 1st. But thats it..... no more. Someone wants to throw gobs of Draft Picks his way, then I would most likely give up on the idea.

1st rounder. And we meet somewhere in the middle on money.

N-O!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Claiborne's injury comes with a long rehab process. It's possible that he doesn't get back to 100 percent even by the start of the season. Also, in today's NFL you need at least four good corners. Even with Carr I think the Cowboys need to draft another CB fairly high. If Carr is gone, they'll need to draft two.
I think we need 2 CB's (one early) out of this draft. Counting on anything from Mo is dangerous. He might be a Cowboy for only about 9 more months.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I think we need 2 CB's (one early) out of this draft. Counting on anything from Mo is dangerous. He might be a Cowboy for only about 9 more months.

I think we need one. I think Claiborne, if healthy, will be serviceable in limited duty. Scandrick and Carr are the starters, with Claiborne in rotation as Scandrick slides into the slot. Patmon is serviceable. We just need one more, personally, to push Claiborne down a slot on the depth chart since he will invariably be released after this year.

Kevin Johnson would be a nice addition out of Wake Forest. So would Marcus Peters. Anybody fresh with confidence, really.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If there is no one at 27 that makes an immediate impact on defense or offense, give up the first for AP. Thats just my opinion

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If there is no one at 27 that makes an immediate impact on defense or offense, give up the first for AP. Thats just my opinion

You don't draft for "immediate impact", you draft for potential and development. If you get "immediate impact", it's luck more than anything.

Despite popular thinking, we are still building for the future while attempting to win now. Putting all our chips in on one player is a setup for failure.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
It's simple. If we are looking to compete for a super bowl in 5 years from now.. then stay away from Adrian Peterson. If we want to have a legit chance to go to a super bowl NOW, then go get AP.

^This. It is how I see it as well.

Given Romo's time left to lead this team I opt for the go all out in 2015-16 approach. A 29 year old Tony Romo? My thinking would be different.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You don't draft for "immediate impact", you draft for potential and development. If you get "immediate impact", it's luck more than anything.

Despite popular thinking, we are still building for the future while attempting to win now. Putting all our chips in on one player is a setup for failure.

We have already argued about this. After Romo there isnt a future until we get another QB. Im in win now mode not lets wait till we have no QB to have a RB who can now play the game.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
We have already argued about this. After Romo there isnt a future until we get another QB. Im in win now mode not lets wait till we have no QB to have a RB who can now play the game.

Who we can still draft while having Romo, which I would not be surprised if next year we start looking for his replacement to groom.

Look, we're not giving up our first for Peterson, simple as that. It's not happening, the draft is less than 3 weeks away, Peterson isn't even on our radar at this point.

You start building for the future NOW, not when Romo is already gone. Jerry and Stephen Jones aren't giving up the team once Romo leaves, they still have a team to manage even once he retires or we release him. We'll most likely be drafting his replacement to groom behind him in the coming years. We have the LG and RT positions to address, two positions I want to see fixed before we bring in a young QB. We have a secondary that doesn't even look to be stable enough for this "win now" state, and you're thinking about giving up a first for a 30 year old RB? We just had a 1,800 yard back and he didn't help us win the Super Bowl because our defense couldn't stop a hobbled QB.

You're in a "win now" state, more like "Desperation mode" if you ask me. Jerry and Stephen Jones are not, they are taking pages from both the Packers and Steelers and building through the draft while having one key signing in FA. You may not like it, but that doesn't seem to be changing.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Who we can still draft while having Romo, which I would not be surprised if next year we start looking for his replacement to groom.

Look, we're not giving up our first for Peterson, simple as that. It's not happening, the draft is less than 3 weeks away, Peterson isn't even on our radar at this point.

You start building for the future NOW, not when Romo is already gone. Jerry and Stephen Jones aren't giving up the team once Romo leaves, they still have a team to manage even once he retires or we release him. We'll most likely be drafting his replacement to groom behind him in the coming years. We have the LG and RT positions to address, two positions I want to see fixed before we bring in a young QB. We have a secondary that doesn't even look to be stable enough for this "win now" state, and you're thinking about giving up a first for a 30 year old RB? We just had a 1,800 yard back and he didn't help us win the Super Bowl because our defense couldn't stop a hobbled QB.

You're in a "win now" state, more like "Desperation mode" if you ask me. Jerry and Stephen Jones are not, they are taking pages from both the Packers and Steelers and building through the draft while having one key signing in FA. You may not like it, but that doesn't seem to be changing.

I was waiting for you to bring up Murray. Thats funny, we were one play away from being in the NFCCG, excuse me for being optimistic. Murray cost us that game. That 1800 yard running back put our defense back on the field instead of killing the clock or getting points. Argue all you want. Doesnt really bother me. You seem desperate to bring up Murray any chance you get. And you know hes not on our radar how? Are you in the "know?" Look, im stating my opinon your stating yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.