Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They didn't sign Hardy as the "missing piece" or because they are in win now mode. They took a chance on a young top pass rusher to fill a big need.

To fill the biggest need a 12-4 playoff team had. To make them better, so that they can win now. They're not paying him potentially $12 million plus so that they can win less.

They were smart enough to not take a big risk with the contract and if all works out than they can sign him long term if he becomes the RKG.

Nobody is saying otherwise.

If they get AD that would be a move that is more in line with a "win now" missing piece decision.

They both are. And so is re-signing a guy like McClain on a one-year deal. They're not making these signings to tread water or get worse.

phildadon86

Reaction score
My sources say that AP............

will not be in Cowboys uniform this year or ever.

Sorry to spoil the party guys. But lets be real. It just ain't gonna happen.

Everyone has sources contradicting eachother. LOL. Nick Eatman also said his name has been flying around the halls of VR for some time now. We wont know until we know

esloan

Reaction score
And it's also what got them Greg Hardy this year.

I am sorry but Hardy is a much smaller risk than Petersen. Hardy is on a one year, incentive based contract. Peterson is not coming here for a deal like that. Hardy also did not cost them draft picks. Peterson will. Hardy is 4 years younger and plays a position that is much harder for a rookie to step into and excel. Peterson is 30 and plays a position that is one of the easiest to fill on a pro football team.

I am sorry but there is just no comparison between the two and it is stupid to even try.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
To fill the biggest need a 12-4 playoff team had. To make them better, so that they can win now. They're not paying him potentially $12 million plus so that they can win less.

Nobody is saying otherwise.

They both are. And so is re-signing a guy like McClain on a one-year deal. They're not making these signings to tread water or get worse.

No one is saying their trying to get worse. But we just have to agree to disagree. I think Hardy was a risk taken for the long term not for just one year. Plus we still don't know how long he will be suspended yet either. You don't bring in a guy with that many questions for a win now thought process. JMO

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am sorry but Hardy is a much smaller risk than Petersen. Hardy is on a one year, incentive based contract. Peterson is not coming here for a deal like that.

What kind of 'risk' are you viewing Peterson? The man is the consensus best in the league at his position. He came within an eyelash of breaking the all-time single-season rushing record playing with spares.

And the fact is that none of us know what Peterson's salary demands will be, and if a deal isn't struck, we likely never will know.

Hardy also did not cost them draft picks. Peterson will.

For a sure thing rather than possibly the next Felix Jones? I'm fine with that, especially if it doesn't involve a 1st round draft pick.

Hardy is 4 years younger and plays a position that is much harder for a rookie to step into and excel. Peterson is 30 and plays a position that is one of the easiest to fill on a pro football team.

And a rookie is never a sure thing. Again, see Jones, Felix. We managed to find the trash in a draft full of diamonds that year, didn't we?

I am sorry but there is just no comparison between the two and it is stupid to even try.

Then don't bother. Don't post in a thread about a topic you're not interested in, about something you don't want to happen. And then your problems will be over.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one is saying their trying to get worse. But we just have to agree to disagree. I think Hardy was a risk taken for the long term not for just one year.

All evidence to the contrary since he's signed to a one year deal.

Plus we still don't know how long he will be suspended yet either. You don't bring in a guy with that many questions for a win now thought process. JMO

You don't bring him in at all, much less on a one year deal, if you're not in a win now thought process. And give up the franchise tag option in the process.

Nothing about the Hardy deal says long term, nothing.

pansophy

Reaction score
You honestly cannot think there is 0 shot and that the Cowboys are not interested in Adrian Peterson. That cannot be your stance.Jerry is all in. Hwe cannot resist this temptation. AP is like crack in front of a recovering crack addict. I wouldn't put money on not having a relapse.

The only way this doesn't go down is the Vikes playing hardball.

If the Vikings release him and he will play for McFadden's contract then great. We won't know how he is going to play, but I couldn't argue against taking a shot at him over McFadden. Still we would have to deal with signing two guys with domestic violence issues when the mantra around here is having 'the right kind of guys'. In this scenario we still draft a RB because at 30 he has 1 or 2 productive years left, if any at all.

But what people are talking about is paying him closer to what Murray got from Philly, which is less than he will get if he just sticks with the Vikings. He is 3 years older than Murray and we would likely have to trade for him. Oh, btw he isn't even reinstated in the league. So this entire conversation is purely NFL Madden fantasy talk.

Does anyone really think that the Vikings are just going to release him and he will play for 2-3 million a year? If that happens I'll happily say that I was wrong, but as long as the above, yes there is essentially 0% chance we sign AP.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I am sorry but Hardy is a much smaller risk than Petersen. Hardy is on a one year, incentive based contract. Peterson is not coming here for a deal like that. Hardy also did not cost them draft picks. Peterson will. Hardy is 4 years younger and plays a position that is much harder for a rookie to step into and excel. Peterson is 30 and plays a position that is one of the easiest to fill on a pro football team.

I disagree slightly AD has a reptutation to rebuild as well.

pansophy

Reaction score
And it's also what got them Greg Hardy this year.

Big difference is that pass rush is the biggest weakness on this team and it's unlikely that a rookie comes in and is a difference maker. Pass rushers take time to develop. Rookie RBs on the other hand often come in as a rookie and make an impact. Even with the best QB, RB, and WR combo last year we only won 1 playoff game. We need to address the defense rather than spending picks and money on a 30 year old RB when its the easiest position to address in the draft.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big difference is that pass rush is the biggest weakness on this team and it's unlikely that a rookie comes in and is a difference maker. Pass rushers take time to develop. Rookie RBs on the other hand often come in as a rookie and make an impact. Even with the best QB, RB, and WR combo last year we only won 1 playoff game. We need to address the defense rather than spending picks and money on a 30 year old RB when its the easiest position to address in the draft.

I won't argue that rookie running backs have a better success rate early, but likewise, there's no guarantee of success or them getting the job done for certain. That fact is undeniable as well. We could get the next Adrian Peterson or we could get the next Felix Jones.

And giving up a pick this year and next in no way prevents us from upgrading the defense. I am not advocating giving up our 1st round draft pick but in fact am in favor of using it on defense.

But if it comes down to possibly using the second rounder on a proven sure thing or a maybe? I take the sure thing. And take a step forward in overall talent rather than a possible (and likely early on) step back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Vikings release him and he will play for McFadden's contract then great. We won't know how he is going to play, but I couldn't argue against taking a shot at him over McFadden. Still we would have to deal with signing two guys with domestic violence issues when the mantra around here is having 'the right kind of guys'. In this scenario we still draft a RB because at 30 he has 1 or 2 productive years left, if any at all.

Why? You've claimed yourself that rookie running backs are 'plug and play' why couldn't we replace Peterson with a rookie when he's done? That seems to be a clear double-standard.

But what people are talking about is paying him closer to what Murray got from Philly, which is less than he will get if he just sticks with the Vikings. He is 3 years older than Murray and we would likely have to trade for him. Oh, btw he isn't even reinstated in the league. So this entire conversation is purely NFL Madden fantasy talk.

So you're claiming that he'll never be reinstated?

Does anyone really think that the Vikings are just going to release him and he will play for 2-3 million a year? If that happens I'll happily say that I was wrong, but as long as the above, yes there is essentially 0% chance we sign AP.

What will you do if your absolute claims are, in fact, proven wrong?

I remember similar claims being made regarding "0% chance" this team is signing Greg Hardy not long ago at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.