Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Not saying they wont draft a RB but they drafted McKinnon last year and they are very high on him. He is a unique talent with a very high level skill set.

Oh yeah I know. I actually really liked McKinnon, I was hoping he'd land in Dallas but he went earlier than I expected.

Not saying they will draft one either, but if they felt like they needed to they definitely have a lot of options this year.

McKinnon's talent actually strengthens the argument that AD is probably not going to be a Vike this year, in my opinion at least.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I want to go fishing. Still too cold now and rainy. I gots da blues. And it ain't over no RB neither. (grammar as is please)

Is this a song ? if so is about a guy were not allowed to talk about ? If so we could change the song to one of Edgar Winters songs from the 70's "Undercover Man ".:laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given AD's contractual numbers, I think Minny is also looking at this draft and how deep it is, and really contemplating taking one of these backs in the top 3 rounds and just simply releasing AD for the cap relief.

They aren't hurting very badly on the cap, and they could definitely keep him, but releasing him would give them a ton of caproom in 2016. Draft a back this year, release AD, they still have a pretty good chance to make the playoffs if they draft well. They aren't a bad team, they just lack playmakers on offense. I don't think the difference between AD and say, Gordon/Gurley/Ajayi/Coleman/etc. is going to determine whether they win a Super Bowl this year or not so I can definitely see them releasing him outright at some point

I just can't see them keeping him at his current rate and I think this all just posturing to try and get something, anything, for him. I wouldn't be surprised if they got a 2nd or a 3rd from another team, but I don't think it'll be us. If they do take a back in the draft, I think it's probably an indicator he's going to be released, and I'd be all over that like white on rice.

It's fine now and they've got plenty of cap space only paying rookie quarterback wages, but what happens long term if he's the guy they hope? In two years, you're spending a ton of that cap space to keep him. And the $13 million you don't pay Peterson would help 'the Bridgewater Fund' down the road.

And, best case scenario, does anyone think the 2015 Vikings have a prayer of winning a championship with or without Peterson?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Time will tell. I just have no confidence with the current regime; plus why move away from something that worked so well last year. Obviously I am intrigued with the possible addition of AP but regardless of what happens I want a bellcow.

You're not alone. Our running game was too much a part of our teams success last year to play around this year. I think we let Murray walk because we knew we were going to get something better. And by better I'm not talking about DMF or a rookie.

dallasdave

Reaction score
It's fine now and they've got plenty of cap space only paying rookie quarterback wages, but what happens long term if he's the guy they hope? In two years, you're spending a ton of that cap space to keep him. And the $13 million you don't pay Peterson would help 'the Bridgewater Fund' down the road.

And, best case scenario, does anyone think the 2015 Vikings have a prayer of winning a championship with or without Peterson?

Time for the Vikes to rebuild

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Does it really go back THAT far? If so, I really don't like our odds drafting a rookie to run behind this line and winning a super bowl.

Yeah, because an elite QB, a big time WR, a great developing O-line, and a solid defense wouldn't help win us the Super Bowl. It's the 30 year old RB that would get us the trophy. A stupid statistic about rookie RBs linked to lombardi trophies is what will b our downfall in 2015.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Yeah, because an elite QB, a big time WR, a great developing O-line, and a solid defense wouldn't help win us the Super Bowl. It's the 30 year old RB that would get us the trophy. A stupid statistic about rookie RBs linked to lombardi trophies is what will b our downfall in 2015.

Don't tell Emmitt that.

LittleD

Reaction score

They only have to hold on to him for 1 more year and he'll be 31. No team is gonna pay big bucks for a 31 yr. old RB. In the end, I think the boys
will just draft a young RB with fresh legs and move on. Arizona might likely trade for him and give significant picks. Vikings are not going to do
anything with AP if they don't get picks and lots of them.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

I still believe a solid RB is needed. I assure you if we didn't have Murray last year we wouldn't have went as far as we did. Our run game was our whole identity last year. Teams couldn't stop it and that opened up the passing game mismatches and everything. AP isn't some random 30 RB, he is the best RB in the game right now and behind our line.. we would instantly become super bowl favorites in the NFC. Stop fighting it man... it's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.