Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

coult44

Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in the NFL Zone?

Really? Is it so slow and boring right now that guys are looking in threads to find a reason to complain about where a post is made. Just don't click on the threads , what difference does it make ..

#hallmonitors #mallcops

dallasdave

Reaction score
I still believe a solid RB is needed. I assure you if we didn't have Murray last year we wouldn't have went as far as we did. Our run game was our whole identity last year. Teams couldn't stop it and that opened up the passing game mismatches and everything. AP isn't some random 30 RB, he is the best RB in the game right now and behind our line.. we would instantly become super bowl favorites in the NFC. Stop fighting it man... it's going to happen.

Totally agree, that's get one.

pansophy

Reaction score
I still believe a solid RB is needed. I assure you if we didn't have Murray last year we wouldn't have went as far as we did. Our run game was our whole identity last year. Teams couldn't stop it and that opened up the passing game mismatches and everything. AP isn't some random 30 RB, he is the best RB in the game right now and behind our line.. we would instantly become super bowl favorites in the NFC. Stop fighting it man... it's going to happen.

How can anyone say that someone who has had 21 carries in the last 18 months is the best RB in the league? There is a lot more data to suggest that he isn't going to be that effective as an older RB than that he is going to be the best back in the league next year.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You're not alone. Our running game was too much a part of our teams success last year to play around this year. I think we let Murray walk because we knew we were going to get something better. And by better I'm not talking about DMF or a rookie.

Everyone writes DMC, so when I read where you wrote "I'm not talking about DMF"... I read it as: I'm not talking about Dumb Mother ****" :laugh:

erod

Reaction score
How can anyone say that someone who has had 21 carries in the last 18 months is the best RB in the league? There is a lot more data to suggest that he isn't going to be that effective as an older RB than that he is going to be the best back in the league next year.

There is no data that applies to Peterson. He's on an entirely different plane than 99 percent of the backs that have ever played this game.

He showed up at Oklahoma as an 18-year-old and could outbench and outsquat the entire team. And he's a running back.

Then, he comes back from ACL surgery in eight months and runs for 2,000 yards with absolutely no quarterback.

Imagine what he could do with real offense and a real quarterback with a real passing game.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't think Peterson would be worth the cost. Would you rather pay for a Ferrari and get a Dodge Charger or pay for a Prius and get a Prius?

I dont care if I had to ride a hore
I think it's about the committment to the run and staying with it no matter who you have in the backfield. With this OL, I think they can do it well enough to keep defenses honest.

I agree to a point. Although I think a lot of us, including me , may be over rating that Offensive Line. Its hard not to, considering the way the played last year.

But if this offensive line can make "any" running back look decent, just imagine what AP could do behind this line..........

a 1st rounder, and a few extra million more then what they were offering Murray.

That might be the price. The greatest running back in over decade. With a SB window of about 2-3 years. Or, just take whoever is available to us in the draft? The draft? Thats what were going to use t to try an make it to the super bowl this year?

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Yes, our run game was our identity. Do I think we need a solid RB to help us to the Super Bowl? Yes. What I want from our starting RB is about 1,200 to 1,300 yards rushing with our backups used effectively. That's not an outlandish mark for us to set for a rookie RB.

If we fix this defense and keep our offensive philosophy, rookie RB or not, we're getting a Super Bowl or at least appearing in one (Weird **** happens in Super Bowls).

And to you he's still the best RB in football, to me he's a 30 year old RB one year removed from football. He's the best RB still when he proves that he is.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Yeah, because an elite QB, a big time WR, a great developing O-line, and a solid defense wouldn't help win us the Super Bowl. It's the 30 year old RB that would get us the trophy. A stupid statistic about rookie RBs linked to lombardi trophies is what will b our downfall in 2015.

You've been throwing around stats too. We all do.

But, AP is the one piece that puts this team over the top. Were a good team. No doubt. I think we will challenge..... but, why not just make a run for the SB, while Romo is QB, instead of *****footing around ?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yes, our run game was our identity. Do I think we need a solid RB to help us to the Super Bowl? Yes. What I want from our starting RB is about 1,200 to 1,300 yards rushing with our backups used effectively. That's not an outlandish mark for us to set for a rookie RB.

If we fix this defense and keep our offensive philosophy, rookie RB or not, we're getting a Super Bowl or at least appearing in one (Weird **** happens in Super Bowls).

And to you he's still the best RB in football, to me he's a 30 year old RB one year removed from football. He's the best RB still when he proves that he is.

you sound kind of butt hurt.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I just don't think it's going to happen. I really don't. There are going to be some upset fans when Dallas does nothing to get AP and quietly drafts a RB high in the draft.

It would be foolish to give up significant draft picks for a RB as old as AP with as many miles as he has on him... rare athlete or not.

Now if Minny wanted to let him go for a 3rd or something, then maybe that's different... but they won't let him go for anywhere near that cheap, IMO.

Dallas of 8 or 10 years ago would have already made the trade. The current Dallas Cowboys aren't doing business like that any more, and I think they're proud that they don't.

I know I'm glad they don't.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
There is no data that applies to Peterson. He's on an entirely different plane than 99 percent of the backs that have ever played this game.

He showed up at Oklahoma as an 18-year-old and could outbench and outsquat the entire team. And he's a running back.

Then, he comes back from ACL surgery in eight months and runs for 2,000 yards with absolutely no quarterback.

Imagine what he could do with real offense and a real quarterback with a real passing game.

It took Peterson 7-8 weeks before he lit the league on fire, so around the time frame it usually takes for RBs to return to form. Jamaal Charles also came back and had a big year after an ACL tear.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

Agreed. No RB in the league has the desire, drive, and freak genetics like AP has. He isn't some random 30 year old QB. Also, it's crazy that he has done as well as he has playing for the lowly Vikings. Give him a real line like Dallas has and look out.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

It's virtually impossible for him NOT to be successful behind our line. Sure there is data that suggest RB's slow down drastically over 30 and that is fine and all.. I just need one great year out of him to help get that 6th ring.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
For all the folks saying to forget Peterson and "please don't do it"..................take a look at our current RB core and tell me this group is going to put up almost 2000

McFadden........Raider castoff, over the last 3 seasons has the second lowest yards per carry in the NFL, just slightly better than Trent Richardson.
Randle..............Underwear thief and saw very limited action last season. Broaddus on Talkin Cowboys said yesterday the coaches simply don't trust him.
Dunbar.............Used as a change up scat back but with very limited use, maybe only 1 or 2 touches per game.
Williams............Practice squad guy that never cracked the 52 man roster, rumors he turned down other teams but never verified, weakness is pass protection.

That's all we got folks, that's it...........with Gurley and Gordon both most likely gone by 27, we are looking at a day 2 or day 3 RB being added to this core. The idea that this core with a day 2 or day 3 rookie running back is going to "go committee" for almost 2000 yards is almost laughable. And posters cant understand why so many want Peterson after looking at what we currently have in the cupboard.

The idea is to pair an elite offensive line with an elite RB, not build an elite offensive line and let a bunch of jags run behind it.......................that's my .02

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That's all we got folks, that's it...........with Gurley and Gordon both most likely gone by 27, we are looking at a day 2 or day 3 RB being added to this core.

Recent day 2 RB's:

Bishop Sankey
Jeremy Hill
Carlos Hyde
Giovanni Bernard
Le'Veon Bell
Montee Ball
Eddie Lacy

Hill, Hyde, Bernard, Bell, and Lacy are all good RB's. Ball and Sankey haven't done much but the point is, you can find very good RB's on the second day, who can contribute quite a bit.

I wasn't crazy about the McFadden pick up either, but they will get a back in the draft and I bet it will be a good one.

If Dallas drafts a good rookie runner, then two years from now when AP will probably be making more than he's worth, the Cowboys will be paying a young, up and coming RB very little.

I just think it is the much smarter way of running a franchise. I understand that you (and many others) don't, and that's fine. We all can't agree on everything.

It isn't time to panic. AP or no AP, the team will be fine either way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AP once said he wanted to play for Dallas great if he gets released and plays at a cheap price then great if not then no go. He is a 30 year old back you don't give up picks for old guys period. Moves like that is why so many have blasted jerry over the years now all of a sudden we should give up a pick? lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For all the folks saying to forget Peterson and "please don't do it"..................take a look at our current RB core and tell me this group is going to put up almost 2000

The big problem with this post are the words "take a look at our current RB core." You do realize (yes I understand that you really do know) that the season opener is almost 5 months away. We have plenty of time to address that position if we don't get AP.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I feel if AP has made up his mind about not playing for the Vikings then he will not play there,he will force their hand to either trade him or release him.

Status
Not open for further replies.