Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You apparently do not half of what you are talking about...Ratliff forced Dallas' hand just like AP can force Minnesota's...

That's not even a discernable statement. When you have a better command of the English language and can write whatever you are trying to say in a manner that makes sense to an English reader then come back and play the game. Maybe you just need to rewrite it. I think you actually do have better writing skills.

visionary

Reaction score
And most certainly no team is trading anything for him or that contract then, right? So the Vikings get one more year, win nothing, and then release Peterson for absolutely nothing next year. Does that make any sense to you?

And risk the 2015 season on a rookie being able to fill the void left by Murray? A big risk to me.

And Peterson won't agree to a new contract from a team he doesn't want to play for. And as has been stated countless times, nobody is trading for that ridiculous contract, much less a player who won't show up to the team that trades for him either.

Who wants to sign on for that headache?

Exactly
@Little D had already had to eat crow when we signed hardy and will have to do so again with Peterson

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Even with that, why would they trade him to the Cowboys? Arizona has more to offer in a trade. They need a RB badly and they do not have the offensive line the Cowboys do, so they may be less inclined to trust a rookie to carry the load. They also have to be pissed off at the way Peterson has conducted himself with this, so why send him to where he wants to go? Might they just send him to Arizona to get rid of him but also take pleasure in the fact he wanted to go elsewhere?

I think the Cardinals have more offer. If the Cowboys do get Peterson, I fear they will be in a bidding war with Arizona and give up entirely too much. I do not want to see that happen and I don't think the Cowboys want to do that either. That is why I think he either stays in Minnesota or goes to Arizona.

How do you know what they'd be willing to offer? Without that knowledge, how would you be able to judge who has more to offer? Draft picks = draft picks. If anything the compensatory picks the Cowboys have next year could make including a future pick an easier hurdle for Dallas. Trading him out of spite might sound good, but then you're asking a team to give you assets to take on the very headache you're trying to alleviate. The Raiders might do it but no sane team would. I don't think that would apply to Arizona because I think AD would very much like to be traded there.

esloan

Reaction score
Because of the Peterson factor. He has to be willing to strike a new deal with any team looking to trade for him. Where has he said he's wanted to go on numerous occasions? And where has he not said he wanted to go? Where does he call home and where does he go back to whenever possible?

He doesn't want to go to Arizona, he wants to go to Dallas. And he has to agree to a contract with his new team.

No. No he does not. He is still under contract. If he is traded, they can simply go with the contract he currently has. The Cards have room to restructure for Peterson, if they so choose. Regardless, there have been rumors that Peterson is willing to go to Arizona. He wants out of Minnesota period and, if it has to be Arizona, rumor is he would do it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That's not even a discernable statement. When you have a better command of the English language and can write whatever you are trying to say in a manner that makes sense to an English reader then come back and play the game. Maybe you just need to rewrite it. I think you actually do have better writing skills.

Despite leaving out the word know. He is right.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
We have room also right,now. Sure thebromo,restructure was,done,for,Hardy but we,dont,have to have that money until Hardy actually plays,right? So,in theory,we,could,use,it,now,but,would have,to,replace,it,as,we,get,to,the,season or,am i,wrong? My phone,is,messed,up sorry for the comma's haha

esloan

Reaction score
We have room also right,now. Sure thebromo,restructure was,done,for,Hardy but we,dont,have to have that money until Hardy actually plays,right? So,in theory,we,could,use,it,now,but,would have,to,replace,it,as,we,get,to,the,season or,am i,wrong? My phone,is,messed,up sorry for the comma's haha

We theoretically have the space now, or close to it, but we do have to save money back for Hardy. We may get some money back for Carr, depending on what happens with him, but we would probably have to restructure other contracts to bring Peterson in. The space we have now is for Hardy and the rookie pool.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. No he does not. He is still under contract. If he is traded, they can simply go with the contract he currently has. The Cards have room to restructure for Peterson, if they so choose. Regardless, there have been rumors that Peterson is willing to go to Arizona. He wants out of Minnesota period and, if it has to be Arizona, rumor is he would do it.

And you really think anyone is trading for his current contract? Honestly?

To say nothing of being in the same boat as the Vikings if he actually doesn't want to be there?

I have seen rumors that they are interested in him, but not that he is interested in them.

pansophy

Reaction score
So you can speculate he'll be worse but we can't speculate he'll be as good as he's proven to be?

Just so I know the rules here.

:rolleyes:

I can say it's not worth the risk. It's uncertain how good he will be. It's uncertain how good a rookie will be too, but a rookie will be improving instead of declining over the next four years and will be playing on a rookie salary.

I'd bet on a rookie running for more yards over those 4 years than AP (and the money that would be spent on AP can be spent on defense).

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Despite leaving out the word know. He is right.

Ah... is that why it made no sense. Thank you. He almost said something if he had successfully conveyed the thought. But in the age of common core I guess giving half credit is the norm.

The point is AP will not be released. His only hope of getting away from the Vikings is forcing a trade. In that scenario, he will go where the Vikings want him to go and not where he wants to go. Period. It's not the same thing as the Ratliff thing at all.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ah... is that why it made no sense. Thank you. He almost said something if he had successfully conveyed the thought. But in the age of common core I guess giving half credit is the norm.

The point is AP will not be released. His only hope of getting away from the Vikings is forcing a trade. In that scenario, he will go where the Vikings want him to go and not where he wants to go. Period. It's not the same thing as the Ratliff thing at all.

You are right it's not like Ratliff but you also aren't exactly accurate in what you say.

The Vikings can't decide themselves where they want him to go. Most teams are going to want to renegotiate his deal. If Peterson won't rework his deal, then the team isn't going to trade for him. It's similar to the Bradford story in Philly. Apparently, the Browns offered a #1 for him but wanted him to restructure. Bradford refused and the Browns basically weren't an option. Philly stepped up, were willing to take him without a restructure.

So while, yes, the Vikings can decide what deal to accept, they don't have the power to make Peterson redo his deal which most teams are probably going to want as a condition of the trade. So in that sense, Peterson has more power than you think.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score

And that point is completely wrong, but please continue. Do people really envision teams crawling over each other to trade assets for a 30 year old RB that they have to pay 13 million to that doesn't want to be there? Hey Vikes I hear you got a disgruntled back up there? How's bout you take our first so he can poison our locker room? And we only have to pay him 13 million for the parasite? Sign me up. Stupid Vikings.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You are right it's not like Ratliff but you also aren't exactly accurate in what you say.

The Vikings can't decide themselves where they want him to go. Most teams are going to want to renegotiate his deal. If Peterson won't rework his deal, then the team isn't going to trade for him. It's similar to the Bradford story in Philly. Apparently, the Browns offered a #1 for him but wanted him to restructure. Bradford refused and the Browns basically weren't an option. Philly stepped up, were willing to take him without a restructure.

So while, yes, the Vikings can decide what deal to accept, they don't have the power to make Peterson redo his deal which most teams are probably going to want as a condition of the trade. So in that sense, Peterson has more power than you think.

Yes almost everything you are saying is correct and I never meant to imply it's only the Vikings holding the cards. They of course have to have a willing team to agree to take on his baggage. The Raiders have the cap space to take on his contract and AP would have zero say so if they agreed to take him on.

LittleD

Reaction score
And most certainly no team is trading anything for him or that contract then, right? So the Vikings get one more year, win nothing, and then release Peterson for absolutely nothing next year. Does that make any sense to you?

And risk the 2015 season on a rookie being able to fill the void left by Murray? A big risk to me.

And Peterson won't agree to a new contract from a team he doesn't want to play for. And as has been stated countless times, nobody is trading for that ridiculous contract, much less a player who won't show up to the team that trades for him either.

Who wants to sign on for that headache?

Looks like you answered all the questions... AP will not go willingly to Arizona, Vikings aren't going to let him go for nothing, Cowboys aren't going to pony up
picks and pay up a big contract, AP will have to decide to show up and work for his money or sit at home and Vikings save his salary. Yep, you answered
all the questions.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
And that point is completely wrong, but please continue. Do people really envision teams crawling over each other to trade assets for a 30 year old RB that they have to pay 13 million to that doesn't want to be there? Hey Vikes I hear you got a disgruntled back up there? How's bout you take our first so he can poison our locker room? And we only have to pay him 13 million for the parasite? Sign me up. Stupid Vikings.

I didn't say it is likely to happen but yes if AP wants out of Minny, it will have to go down something like that. Dallas would have to renegotiate his contract. Other teams like Oakland, with ample cap space could just absorb the hit. Again... not saying it's likely.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
They have to do their due diligence in case things don't work with AD. Plus they can still draft a RB in the 2-3rds even if they do acquire AD.

Unless there is a trade (I'm ruling this out completely), it won't be until after the draft that Peterson is released. I'm not happy about this, but we seem to be really interested in Ajayi; I think he looks average, but our scouting department I guess thinks differently. I'm guessing it's the Lynch comparisons he's getting.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Looks like you answered all the questions... AP will not go willingly to Arizona, Vikings aren't going to let him go for nothing, Cowboys aren't going to pony up
picks and pay up a big contract, AP will have to decide to show up and work for his money or sit at home and Vikings save his salary. Yep, you answered
all the questions.

How do the Vikings save on his salary? He will be paid 13 mil whether he plays or not if he's on the roster Sept. 1. They want him to restructure that's why he wants out. Think about it. If you have to take a pay cut would you rather play for a contender? Vikings will not keep Peterson at his salary he will be dealt or cut period.

Status
Not open for further replies.