Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
How long can AP hold out without losing anything?

Peterson has a $250,000 workout bonus in his contract, but if he's not interested in playing for the Vikings anymore, he's surely not going to attend their off-season training program when he lives near Houston. He'd be subject to fines if he were to skip the mandatory mini-camp in June. -By JON KRAWCZYNSKI AP Sports Writer

esloan

Reaction score
As have you.

I won't be disappointed if Peterson comes here. He is a great back. As long as we don't give up too much, I am fine with it. I just highly doubt it will happen and I will be fine with what we have and a rookie back.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Its not like they are going to be contenders anytime soon. Might as well keep their biggest draw. Lol

They were 7-9 last year with a rookie QB. Their Defense is strong and adding Peterson to the mix would be a huge boost. They are building a new stadium so money will be rolling in and they have plenty of cap space.

Last edited:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
They were 9-7 last year with a rookie QB. Their Defense is strong and adding Peterson to the mix would be a huge boost. They are building a new stadium so money will be rolling in and they have plenty of cap space.

Didnt realize they did that good

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I won't be disappointed if Peterson comes here. He is a great back. As long as we don't give up too much, I am fine with it. I just highly doubt it will happen and I will be fine with what we have and a rookie back.

Same was said of the KRACKEN!!!

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Jeremiah Ratliff was released... cut lose to do what he wants. Not the same situation as AP. Know what you are talking about before you come at me.

You apparently do not half of what you are talking about...Ratliff forced Dallas' hand just like AP can force Minnesota's...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Didnt realize they did that good

They've added some decent talent lately in Mike Wallace, Terence Newman and Linval Joseph to go with some solid drafting.

Harrison Smith, Shariff Floyd, Anthony Barr, Teddy Bridgewater to name a few.

Not a powerhouse by any means, but not a walk over.

esloan

Reaction score
Same was said of the KRACKEN!!!

For the record, I was highly interested in getting Hardy. Go check that thread, I was one of the biggest supporters of that move. The Peterson thing is different for me. I trust our o-line and I think they can block for any back with talent. RB is one of the easiest positions to fill and it can be done by a rookie. As opposed to DE, which is one of the hardest positions to fill, rookies rarely make a huge impact here. I also figured the Cowboys would protect themselves with hardy's contract and they did. That won't be possible with Peterson.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'll be disappointed if we don't get him, but I'll hope for the rookie and the backs we do have to do well obviously.

My feeling is that I just want to do everything possible to increase our odds of winning a championship while Romo is still here and I think getting Peterson helps do that.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Leverage is one of those concepts that most people have difficulty grasping. When Orton played the AP role last season most people assumed that the Cowboys playing hardball would force him to retire. Instead, he ended up as the starting QB for a team on the playoff fringe. Why? Because he used the only leverage he had: being a jerk, spilling poison wherever he could, etc. And to make that problem go away the Cowboys had to eat his contract and are still paying for the pleasure. While it would have been nice to have him vs. Arizona I doubt anyone on the team regrets their decision to cut a potential cancer.

The Vikings are faced with a similar situation with some important distinctions.

A. They'll actually save a huge chunk of cash if he's playing elsewhere. Too late to do much with it this year, but they'd be set to extend Smith next year and have a bunch of space to work with.
B. Adrian Peterson is the face of their franchise. Having your most important player playing the Orton role is a recipe for disaster. All the goodwill from last season would dissipate and the potential for disrupting Bridgewater's development would exist. It would be like Tony being in Orton's shoes.

While the Vikings hold some cards they run serious risks if they take this standoff into the season.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
They were 9-7 last year with a rookie QB. Their Defense is strong and adding Peterson to the mix would be a huge boost. They are building a new stadium so money will be rolling in and they have plenty of cap space.

Close but they finished 7-9 last year

esloan

Reaction score
Leverage is one of those concepts that most people have difficulty grasping. When Orton played the AP role last season most people assumed that the Cowboys playing hardball would force him to retire. Instead, he ended up as the starting QB for a team on the playoff fringe. Why? Because he used the only leverage he had: being a jerk, spilling poison wherever he could, etc. And to make that problem go away the Cowboys had to eat his contract and are still paying for the pleasure. While it would have been nice to have him vs. Arizona I doubt anyone on the team regrets their decision to cut a potential cancer.

The Vikings are faced with a similar situation with some important distinctions.

A. They'll actually save a huge chunk of cash if he's playing elsewhere. Too late to do much with it this year, but they'd be set to extend Smith next year and have a bunch of space to work with.
B. Adrian Peterson is the face of their franchise. Having your most important player playing the Orton role is a recipe for disaster. All the goodwill from last season would dissipate and the potential for disrupting Bridgewater's development would exist. It would be like Tony being in Orton's shoes.

While the Vikings hold some cards they run serious risks if they take this standoff into the season.

Even with that, why would they trade him to the Cowboys? Arizona has more to offer in a trade. They need a RB badly and they do not have the offensive line the Cowboys do, so they may be less inclined to trust a rookie to carry the load. They also have to be pissed off at the way Peterson has conducted himself with this, so why send him to where he wants to go? Might they just send him to Arizona to get rid of him but also take pleasure in the fact he wanted to go elsewhere?

I think the Cardinals have more offer. If the Cowboys do get Peterson, I fear they will be in a bidding war with Arizona and give up entirely too much. I do not want to see that happen and I don't think the Cowboys want to do that either. That is why I think he either stays in Minnesota or goes to Arizona.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even with that, why would they trade him to the Cowboys? Arizona has more to offer in a trade. They need a RB badly and they do not have the offensive line the Cowboys do, so they may be less inclined to trust a rookie to carry the load. They also have to be pissed off at the way Peterson has conducted himself with this, so why send him to where he wants to go? Might they just send him to Arizona to get rid of him but also take pleasure in the fact he wanted to go elsewhere?

Because of the Peterson factor. He has to be willing to strike a new deal with any team looking to trade for him. Where has he said he's wanted to go on numerous occasions? And where has he not said he wanted to go? Where does he call home and where does he go back to whenever possible?

I think the Cardinals have more offer. If the Cowboys do get Peterson, I fear they will be in a bidding war with Arizona and give up entirely too much. I do not want to see that happen and I don't think the Cowboys want to do that either. That is why I think he either stays in Minnesota or goes to Arizona.

He doesn't want to go to Arizona, he wants to go to Dallas. And he has to agree to a contract with his new team.

Status
Not open for further replies.