Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
Unless there is a trade (I'm ruling this out completely), it won't be until after the draft that Peterson is released. I'm not happy about this, but we seem to be really interested in Ajayi; I think he looks average, but our scouting department I guess thinks differently. I'm guessing it's the Lynch comparisons he's getting.

I'd rather have him than Gordon. Stay away from WIS rbs

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do the Vikings save on his salary? He will be paid 13 mil whether he plays or not if he's on the roster Sept. 1. They want him to restructure that's why he wants out. Think about it. If you have to take a pay cut would you rather play for a contender? Vikings will not keep Peterson at his salary he will be dealt or cut period.

I think they actually would pay him the $13M this year, if he's not going to be a giant baby about it. I also think he's going to be a giant baby about it.

Much as I want him in Dallas at an affordable rate, I don't like how he's behaved through this entire self-inflicted fiasco. I'm sure he has his reasons behind the scenes for being angry with parts of the MIN front office, but it's like complaining that you didn't get the care you think you deserve after you accidentally shot yourself and your doctor in the leg with the same bullet.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
AP can't be forced to play if he doesn't want to and Minny would be financially irresponsible not to get something for him before it gets to the point where they would be forced to cut him or pay him bank for not playing. That's why the most likely thing would be to trade him to the team that gives them the best offer. Of course renegotiating his contract would have to be something the Vikings would have to be receptive to facilitating. Of course the Cowboys would be a willing partner in that venture but I doubt they could give Minny the best value for AP.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I think they actually would pay him the $13M this year, if he's not going to be a giant baby about it. I also think he's going to be a giant baby about it.

Much as I want him in Dallas at an affordable rate, I don't like how he's behaved through this entire self-inflicted fiasco. I'm sure he has his reasons behind the scenes for being angry with parts of the MIN front office, but it's like complaining that you didn't get the care you think you deserve after you accidentally shot yourself and your doctor in the leg with the same bullet.

They lied to him, repeatedly, and worked behind the scenes to keep him off the field. All to please the Radisson, who still aren't sponsoring the team, and the guy in the running for worst professional commissioner of all time. And Warren, who orchestrated the schemes against him, got promoted.

Peterson only has himself to blame for the inciting incident. After that the Vikings have trolled the dude hard. I'd tell em to kiss my butt too in the same situation.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Tell John Riggins that he had his best years at age 30 and 34

Riggins was productive late in his career in large part because he didn't get a lot of carries early in his career. He averaged only 165 carries per season before age 29, had only two seasons with more than 180 carries and never had more than 238. Tiki Barber was somewhat similar. He averaged only 126 carries per season during his first five years, so he was able to be more productive at age 30-31 because he hadn't taken a pounding earlier in his career.

A guy who averages more than 290 carries per season through age 28, which Peterson did, is much less likely to remain productive after age 30. Could Peterson do it? Sure. Emmitt and a few others have. But many more running backs reached the end of the line around age 30.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
$ over Ws?

Not at all. I just think we could get more W's by spending money elsewhere than by spending it on Adrian Peterson, if we're going to be spending that kind of money. You don't overpay a player who can get you one more win (or whatever you might think he'd get us) if you can spend the same money on one or more other players who are both worth the money you're paying them AND can help you win more games then the other player.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
AP can't be forced to play if he doesn't want to and Minny would be financially irresponsible not to get something for him before it gets to the point where they would be forced to cut him or pay him bank for not playing. That's why the most likely thing would be to trade him to the team that gives them the best offer. Of course renegotiating his contract would have to be something the Vikings would have to be receptive to facilitating. Of course the Cowboys would be a willing partner in that venture but I doubt they could give Minny the best value for AP.

Do you really think Peterson would sit out and miss out on $13M because he's upset with the front office? He'd lose another year when the end of his career is quickly approaching?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Do you really think Peterson would sit out and miss out on $13M because he's upset with the front office? He'd lose another year when the end of his career is quickly approaching?

No, I don't. He's the one that says he wants out on Minny. Why would you think I have horse in that race? I'm just talking about the scenario IF he chooses to stick to his guns.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

How exactly has he behaved during this fiasco?

He has been contrite. And has let his agent do his job.

But if you have other inside information i'd love to hear it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
No, I don't. He's the one that says he wants out on Minny. Why would you think I have horse in that race? I'm just talking about the scenario IF he chooses to stick to his guns.

I mentioned it because you was talking about AP not having to play if he didn't want to...

I just wondered if you really thought he might sit out. No big deal. I'm not quite sure what you mean by having a horse in that race, but you answered my question, so thanks.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Sorry, but not interested. We have talked about not trading up/giving up picks for players. I get what a talent he has been, but not gonna do it - esp. this year when RB are sooo deep. Our one big Jerry moment was grabbing Hardy. Not gonna do another huge financial deal this year. 2 cents.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They lied to him, repeatedly, and worked behind the scenes to keep him off the field. All to please the Radisson, who still aren't sponsoring the team, and the guy in the running for worst professional commissioner of all time. And Warren, who orchestrated the schemes against him, got promoted.

Peterson only has himself to blame for the inciting incident. After that the Vikings have trolled the dude hard. I'd tell em to kiss my butt too in the same situation.

If it's true that they lied to him--and I"m not sure that it is, though I know he thinks it is--but they very likely might have, it's because his actions were costing them advertising dollars. They did pay him his salary during this time, though. That's a pretty big number when the guy got himself taken off the field. And to ignore the PR damage the incident caused both the league and the MIN organization is pretty unfair, I think. Again, he inflicted this himself, and then got mad at the team because he thought he deserved more/better/different support than he got.

How exactly has he behaved during this fiasco?

He has been contrite. And has let his agent do his job.

But if you have other inside information i'd love to hear it.

You can read his comments as easily as I can find them and past them here for you. I don't need inside information. His statements re: the team and his displeasure with how they handled the firestorm he started are a matter of public record.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can say it's not worth the risk. It's uncertain how good he will be. It's uncertain how good a rookie will be too, but a rookie will be improving instead of declining over the next four years and will be playing on a rookie salary.

And a rookie can be the next Julius or Felix Jones too.

I'd bet on a rookie running for more yards over those 4 years than AP (and the money that would be spent on AP can be spent on defense).

On who exactly? Who are we getting defensively this year in free agency that would help this team more than Peterson at running back?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade picks and pay big money for Peterson. They would've just kept Murray if they wanted to pay a RB 8m.

The only way Peterson comes to Dallas is if he takes 5-6m, which seems unlikely.

I would expect anyone that gets Peterson to re-do his deal with around 25m guaranteed, hoping to get 3 years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like you answered all the questions... AP will not go willingly to Arizona, Vikings aren't going to let him go for nothing, Cowboys aren't going to pony up
picks and pay up a big contract, AP will have to decide to show up and work for his money or sit at home and Vikings save his salary. Yep, you answered
all the questions.

Yep, because once again, the way you think things will go is the only possible outcome.

But at least you're consistant...

o_O

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If it's true that they lied to him--and I"m not sure that it is, though I know he thinks it is--but they very likely might have, it's because his actions were costing them advertising dollars. They did pay him his salary during this time, though. That's a pretty big number when the guy got himself taken off the field. And to ignore the PR damage the incident caused both the league and the MIN organization is pretty unfair, I think. Again, he inflicted this himself, and then got mad at the team because he thought he deserved more/better/different support than he got.

You can read his comments as easily as I can find them and past them here for you. I don't need inside information. His statements re: the team and his displeasure with how they handled the firestorm he started are a matter of public record.

Saying you're unsure of a return to a team that didn't support you makes you a baby?

You're harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.