Adrian Peterson Sweepstakes ***Officially reinstated (again) and merged***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you seem to really like the vikings for some reason.

I'm actually a big fan of Peterson and was among the first saying it was plausible he could end up here after the suspension and that it'd be a good thing. I just also happen to think he's treated that organization badly this year. Prior to that, though, he's been a great player and done a ton for that franchise.

My business partner is a die-hard Minny fan, so it is a topic of conversation from time to time. And I do feel for him because I think the club did more right by Peterson than Peterson did by the club through all this. If he were a Cowboy, for example, and not happy, I'd much prefer him to handle that between his agent and the club and not to air the comments about how he's been treated publicly. Especially since he brought it all entirely upon himself. I think most of us would feel that way, too (maybe most of us do) if he were a Cowboy now instead of somebody we'd like to be a Cowboy soon.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the clarification. Makes a lot more sense.

Yeah. I had to reread my post because I don't think Peterson's behaved well, but he really hasn't been a baby. But I don't think they release him unless he simply refuses to show up for anything that's not mandatory and starts missing games. He could do that, and just log the final 10 games to get his year counted agains the contract and basically force a release, but that's pretty drastic. Short of that, or a decent trade, I think MIN holds his rights for at least one season. Help the young QB out and make the point that players can't shake loose of a team contract just by putting on an act and being unhappy about it. I think most of the clubs would prefer MIN handle it that way, anyway.

NewsBot

Reaction score
*** Message was removed by demand from DMN ***

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleD

Reaction score
How do the Vikings save on his salary? He will be paid 13 mil whether he plays or not if he's on the roster Sept. 1. They want him to restructure that's why he wants out. Think about it. If you have to take a pay cut would you rather play for a contender? Vikings will not keep Peterson at his salary he will be dealt or cut period.

I think you are mistaken... If he refuses to show up for games he can be fined game checks by the team for conduct
detrimental. I think he could still show up after 10 games and get credit for a year but he would lose 10/17 of his
annual salary.

superonyx

Reaction score
These are the kind of thing I"m talking about, though it's not the only thing he's had to say on the topic:

And I think that goes farther than being unsure. Again, all this about an incident he's entirely responsible for.

I"m not saying I don't want the guy or that he shouldn't play. But it's pretty obvious he dealt the Vikings a huge PR blow, cost them a year of his services and then turned around and got mad at them for how they responded to all that. Yeah, I think he's being a baby. I think he ought to just keep his mouth shut publicly in light of it being entirely an issue he created. He can be as unsure or as uncomfortable has he wants to be to them directly, and accomplish the same thing, but playing the victim publicly after he brought this all down on himself is kinda bush league.

I believe Peterson isn't remorseful for what he did because in his heart he feels that his intentions of disciplining his son were pure and not something he should be forced to wear a label of a child abuser for. I Have mixed feelings about how everything went down. I think he really feels upset that the organization didn't support him publically more. They seem to have separated themselves from him last year. I know it was a PR decision.
I don't think Peterson is a child abuser. I don't think he was right for what he did but I still don't believe he is a child abuser. I was switched as a child. I was whipped with belts. But my parents were not abusers either. This was how they punished us for bad behaviors. It's not the style I use with my children but It doesn't mean they didn't do it with decent intentions.

The Vikings are in a no win position at this point. I think they need to accept some responsibility for how they handled this situation also. They had a guy who needed more support from the organization than they gave him. The league has been punishing everyone for how they blew it with Ray Rice and the Vikings may be somewhat guilty of the same thing. They ran from Peterson all last year and now that the PR side has died down they want him to be there for them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adam Schefter seemed surprised a team's official website would post this because it could open us up to tampering charges.

ProFootballTalk has a mention of it where they state that as long as there are no direct quotes on the subject from team officials, there should be no harm.

I would think any sort of potentially harmful information would have to be approved for publication before it's posted on the team's site.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
I think you are mistaken... If he refuses to show up for games he can be fined game checks by the team for conduct
detrimental. I think he could still show up after 10 games and get credit for a year but he would lose 10/17 of his
annual salary.

Problem with that is he can just pull a hammy and not play.

JJB500

Reaction score
There is no data that applies to Peterson. He's on an entirely different plane than 99 percent of the backs that have ever played this game.

He showed up at Oklahoma as an 18-year-old and could outbench and outsquat the entire team. And he's a running back.

Then, he comes back from ACL surgery in eight months and runs for 2,000 yards with absolutely no quarterback.

Imagine what he could do with real offense and a real quarterback with a real passing game.

The man is a beast! What did Walter Payton average for 3 years rushing when he turned 30? Over 1500 yds! Another beast! John Riggins had probably his best years after 30, I just don't feel confident drafting a running back for the short term, unless you end up with an Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders or Eric Dickerson type talent the most I would expect out out of a rookie is 900 yds at most!

mitchell2254

Reaction score
The man is a beast! What did Walter Payton average for 3 years rushing when he turned 30? Over 1500 yds! Another beast! John Riggins had probably his best years after 30, I just don't feel confident drafting a running back for the short term, unless you end up with an Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders or Eric Dickerson type talent the most I would expect out out of a rookie is 900 yds at most!

Spot on. Peterson is a once in a generation player, you can't stack him against what your average RB does at a certain age.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Franchise QBs don't grow on trees. When Romo retires, the window is officially closed (see Troy Aikman). You can have the greatest offensive line of all time but it won't matter too much without an elite QB to run the show.

No they don't but you can put in place an offense to help a young QB so that he can come in a help the team not carry the team. You don't build around 1 player that is stupid and once he retires it is over with. You bring up Aikman? Dallas went from Meredith to Morton got to a SB then to Roger then to White and were in the mix through out the whole time. Not all were great but they were good and played on solid teams who could compete. I don't know who the next QB of the Cowboys may be, hell he could be a great QB who knows but no QB will do much if you stick him on a team with no talent to help and support him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Spot on. Peterson is a once in a generation player, you can't stack him against what your average RB does at a certain age.

Yes he was he is now 30 years old at the end of his career and to give up picks to get him is living off the past. There is good young talent in this draft at RB Dallas does not need to mortgage the future for an old player.

Status
Not open for further replies.